I'm not one to take big financial risks. Although I spend a fair amount on my business, I work in a mostly conservative manner with a strong eye for the bottom line (which may be part of why I'm still in business after 30+ year.) I don't make a lot but all my bills are paid.

Right now, I sell at craft fairs 40 weekends a year and am in 2 galleries. My long-term goal is to sell more online and in galleries so I don't have to shlep the 500-lb. set-up out every week.

When I was invited to join Orange County Fine Arts Association, one of my reasons for joining was the possible opportunity to sell at their several venues.

I've been on the waiting list for their Laguna Beach gallery ever since I joined in June. (I'm already in one of their smaller galleries.) This is a new gallery in a good location. One mile south of downtown Laguna but across the street from a very busy restaurant, on a street with many galleries and restaurants, and it's a bus stop on the monthly Art Walk tour. I was told to expect a year (or longer) wait as they have only 3 spots for jewelry.

It seems my wait may be shorter. One of the jewelers is pulling out because she's moving in January. That, and she's had NO sales in 3 months. (And she has stunning work.) Possibly because of the economy. Possibly because the gallery is pretty new and not on the radar yet. But no one has had much success so far, despite the good location in a town that spends money on art.

Jurying is next weekend for the open jewelry spot. Several people have hinted that I've been moved up the waiting list because of my 1st place finish in the annual show. If chosen, I'd start in the gallery mid-October. If chosen, I'd need to make a decision within one week.

Contract is for 1 year, with 4 months deposit paid in advance. I'd also have to work the floor 3(?) shifts a month.

Here's the conundrum: this is an expensive commitment for me, in a gallery with so far a lousy sales record. $85/month + 3 round-trip drives (80 miles) @ 4 gallons of gas = $100/month for a year. Plus the gallery takes 25% of sales. Plus my cost of materials. I've done the math, and I'd need to take in $2,000 sales for the year just to not LOSE money, never mind my time and effort.

(posting so I don't time out...)

Poet and essayist