Here is a bright spot in the field of eldercare:

My mom is getting married!!! Mom told me last night that she is getting married to my dad's nephew (same age as mom - 81). My sibs and I are thrilled for them.

They both were loving and faithful with their spouses until they died. Both went through years of giving loads of TLC and sacrificing of themselves to care for them. My dad died after many years of waning health due to post polio syndrome. My cousin's wife died after about 10 years of several illnesses and surgeries.

They were close as couples and spent a lot of time together, traveling and with friends and families.

Mom had hip surgery two weeks before Dad died. I'm so proud of her for the way she has handled everything. A typical morning for her now includes aqua aerobics, a few miles on the track and weight machines. It took her about a year after Dad died to really get social again but as she did, we could see her blossom.

It is such a treat to see Mom happy, healthy and getting on with a new life. Dad was a realist and caring and giving. He must be smiling on her now, watching her pick up her life again. He loved and respected his nephew, too, so I have no doubt he would bless her choice.

In these days when my MIL and FIL are getting ever more difficult to care for, I am so blessed to have my mom to show me the way to aging with grace and style!