Hi, Celtic: My daughter's six months maternity leave is over by mid-April and intends to go back to work part-time i.e. four days a week. Those are the days I have been asked to help with the grandchildren as the baby is much too young to be sent off to creche. He is only five months old and needs a lot of hugs. Excellent as the creche and the nannies may be with babies, I am always reminded of Romanian babies left to cry in their cots and I don't want that for any of my grandchildren so, I have taken a sabbatical in part from work for at least 6 months. When the baby starts to walk and can express what he wants more or less, then I'd be happier for him to go to creche and I can go back to work with a calm heart and mind. We're also still on standby for my other grandson's operation.

The retreat was wonderful! My sister-in-law, the Carmelite nun, spent part of it with me at the convent. Each of us had a room which was 8 x 10, very basic with just a bed, a dresser, a night table, a lamp and a chair. Very monastic. But, at least, each had a private shower room!

There was a prayerful rhythm to life within cloisters. My day started at 5:30 A.M. when everyone started to trickle into the chapel for private prayers an hour before daily Mass which was celebrated by a visiting Franciscan friar, who became my retreat director. We spoke at great length about Padre Pio, my study in Catholic apologetics and the Shroud of Turin. The latter of which I had studied in depth in the past. The days revolved mostly around prayers, solitary and community-wise. So, I have had a good dose of the familiar in the company of the nuns and a few retreatants. It felt almost like I had gone back to school. Peaceful and familiar. But at least, this time, I did not get pulled up by the nuns for listening to my Ipod in my room and taking my laptop along

For the other part of your second question. How did I feel after? Sad: considering that I had once thought of that vocation once and had wished it since childhood. I cried when I left. Comforting: because the religious community life thrives despite the challenges it faces. Happy, peaceful and grateful: because it has been good for the soul and brought the spirit to give to God what is God's.

Edited by Lola (03/27/07 09:29 PM)