Dejavu, waiting out the next 5-10 years and then deciding to move is probably the best for us too. We would be forced to stay in the area as well, because of my mother and business…so might as well stay in our house.

Dianne and Louisa, that's what I'm ready for; to simplify my life. Interesting, although you both are glad you moved, you still have mixed feelings about going from a house to a condo. Dianne, I think I would have had a problem with not being able to furnish the apartment with my furniture as well. But how does that saying go? The smarter one gives in.

Louisa, I love where you live and your view. If I were single, that would be my choice, but as long as Hubby can putter about in a garden; well, he needs that like he needs air to breathe.
Oh my gosh, You had 3 water leaks from above ?! We had a water pipe break once in our cellar, and that was stress pure. I can't even begin to imagine having that happen 3 times in your own apartment. Eeegads! Soggy rugs. At least you were insured.
Oh yes, those are def. strong points, about not being your own boss in a condo anymore. Another thing to consider are the condo assessments. They are almost as high as rent, which is crazy.

Lola, I think your future house plans are perfect if you have a family member to share with. Although I love my sons like crazy, I don't think I would want to live under one roof with them and their families. Some of the happiest families do get ruined that way. Gee, just take 'Dallas' as an example. Ha ha . But then again they had to share the dining room table. If it's possible to change a house to a complete two family house, then I agree, it's a fantastic solution.

Does anyone here share their home with their adult children and families? How's it going for you? Would you ever consider doing that?