I'll start close to the beginning, so those of you who are not totally familiar with this can follow.

In early October, my left hip sort of pulled out when I was dancing. I wasn't even jumping up and down or moving fast, just some low smooth moves and something went SNAP -- didn't hear anything so much as felt it.

One month later, hip was not much healed and I was barely able to walk, when my right foot got all swollen and I couldn't bend my toes at all. Like I had sprained it, except that NOTHING had happened to explain this. So another month of almost not walking.

X-rays show nothing broken. I also had blood tests to see if the cancer had metastasized to the bone. Blood work showed nothing. Osteopenia, which I've had for years, has not advanced to osteoporosis. Basically, both of these problems are due to advancing arthritis.

Right now, hip has low-level ambient pain but that's no biggie. I've regained some mobility but still limping. Some of foot swelling is down, but not all. Toes still stiff. But I'm looking at maybe not being able to dance again, which fires my soul, or hiking which I also love.

At what level do we accept our limitations?

I can visualize me hiking or dancing, but is that realistic if my body continues to degenerate? Is it better to accept, or to keep hoping? I guess I'm not ready to give up yet, but I don't want to delude myself with false optimism.

Thoughts?

Poet and essayist