The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 191 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#95629 - 11/19/06 10:14 PM Holidays single?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I read a fantastic article in me* magazine about the holidays for single women. It was written by NABBW associate, Karen Baar. There were lots of excellent suggestions for preparing ahead and planning. If anyone is concerned about being alone this holiday season, I will gladly post bits and pieces of the article.

#95630 - 11/19/06 11:30 PM Re: Holidays single?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am afraid that to me being alone is a frame of mind and a conscious choice. One two separate occassions I lost a loved one before the holidays and was devastated. I am single now many yewars, and pretty much alone. Yes I have a son and family but my relatives are thousands of miles away and my son is dealing with my DIL whose mother is dying from cancer in Utah so they are spending holidays with her, and rightfully so...But will I be alone, sure if I decide to be but I don't; so first I'm off to the animal shelter with lots of hugs and snuggling and turkey flavored snacks made right here in town at the doggie bakery. Then later on I will be at the mission serving those less fortunate than myself. Just seeing the childrens faces eating until their full, warms my heart in a special way. I bought a case of coloring books, for all ages, and case of boxes of crayons to be passed out to the kids as well....I'll headfor home once I've stopped off at church for a prayer or two and then have a nice meal. Usually I would have three or four residents of the Nursing Home here for turkey dinner but the new Administrator has changed all the policys there so that isn't possible anymore...After all these years single, to me alone is a mere state of mind.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#95631 - 11/20/06 01:58 AM Re: Holidays single? [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Chatty, you know the true meaning of the holidays and act on it. I applaud you.

I, too, am single. I always have at least one invitation to join a dinner and this year I'm going. I cook a small turkey for myself two days before Thanksgiving or I wouldn't have leftovers (the best part) and make soup the next day. Movie marathons are fun if you have time for them. Sometimes I feel left out and lonely, but realize it's up to me whether or not I feel that way.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#95632 - 11/20/06 12:15 PM Re: Holidays single? [Re: Saundra]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Bravo Saundra and Chatty. Celebrate your singleness in whatever way makes you happy, whether being with friends, sharing your time with strangers or curled up on the couch watching a lifetime marathon of movies.

You go girls!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#95633 - 11/20/06 02:53 PM Re: Holidays single? [Re: Anno]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I also have been single for a long time. The past few years I have TG the Sunday before so my son and family don't have to have 3 TG meals in 1 day and we can enjoy the food and each other in a more leisurely manner. That means I'll be alone on the actual day, but I'm looking forward having a whole day to knit and work on some jewelry projects.

My youngest sister, who is married, is very thoughtful about inviting my other single sister and I to Christmas Eve service and my family gets together at someone's house Christmas Day. But I always end up alone at the end of the day. I don't mind it at all now, but it took a long time to get accustomed to it.

I've been dating a very nice guy and I'm not sure what this holiday season will be like. I've met some of his family, but we're not at the stage of inviting one another to offical family holiday get-togethers. I'll be in Las Vegas from 12/26 to 1/2 and not all that excited about it now because I would like to spend it with him.

Chatty, I've worked in a mission kitchen for years in my past, and I felt guilty because I was blessed far more than anyone I was serving. I've noticed that singles, even Christian singles, don't get involved in serving others too much.

laurapoplin.com

#95635 - 11/20/06 06:24 PM Re: Holidays single? [Re: ]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Dotsie, please post ideas from teh article, I would love to have some fresh ideas!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#95636 - 11/20/06 07:09 PM Re: Holidays single? [Re: starting over]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Daisygirl, why not ask him to come along to Vegas. It could be fun.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#95637 - 11/20/06 07:50 PM Re: Holidays single? [Re: chatty lady]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Chatty, I may do just that. My friend's daughter and her friend are leaving the morning of NY Eve so we would have an empty BR for him. We're staying at a time share resort. I'm not sure if he could get a flight this late and during the holidays. At this point he knows I'm going in December, but not exactly when.

laurapoplin.com

#95638 - 11/20/06 11:38 PM Re: Holidays single? [Re: Daisygirl]
Anonymous
Unregistered

CHATTY & DAISEYGIRL, I hope the two of you gals connect w/ each other in Las Vegas, as one of u girls lives there!

#95639 - 11/21/06 10:17 AM Re: Holidays single? [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Chatty, the way you'll be celebrating Thanksgiving is truly what it's all about;
"Thanks and Giving."
When you sit down to your meal, dear friend; imagine us sitting with you, holding our hands in prayer.
I, for my part, thank you for being so active in this forum. I'm sure I speak for many of us here when I say your wise and often very witty posts are a true enrichment in our daily lives.
Thank you Chatty and God bless you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved