The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#93077 - 11/08/06 02:41 PM Re: The Hardest Thing for Me is.... [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I wanted to add that it's too bad you're so ugly! Not.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#93078 - 11/08/06 02:55 PM On being ugly... [Re: Dianne]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
Ahhh....the joy of air brush photo touch-ups and cosmetics! Trust me, I'd be in a world of hurt without 'em! (smile)

#93079 - 11/08/06 04:32 PM Re: On being ugly... [Re: Allison_Bottke]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Since you're sharing all, how about telling us how you got past the "rejections" you MAY or MAY NOT have received in your writing career. Seems everybody has different things they do to shake off the effects of rejections from editors and publishers. What's your tip(s)?

#93080 - 11/08/06 08:23 PM Re: On being ugly... [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Allison,

You mentioned writing every day. Do you have a particular time of day that you write? Are you working on a manuscript at that time or just writing something like an article?

I find it difficult to divide my time between the things I'm doing to build my 'platform' and the actual writing of my next book.

#93081 - 11/08/06 08:48 PM Re: On being ugly... [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Allison, I'm an e-mail aholic too! And an Internet browser. I have so many forums and sites I visit on a daily basis. Gotta keep up with networking, right? Do you actually close your e-mail program? I actually have panic attacks when I can't get to my mail. See, I'm *really* addicted.

I like Jane's question. Tell us about your writing schedule.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#93082 - 11/09/06 12:50 AM Writing Schedule [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Da Queen wonders about how I handle rejections...and if I get them. Of course I get them, and like I said earlier, a rejection means I am working and submitting ideas and keeping at it!

But here is a prime example of a recent rejection I got...I pitched my Parents in Pain book to one publisher (my agent did the pitching) but they rejected it as it was presented and asked me to consider teaming up with a co-author who was a professional therapist or psychologist. They didn't want solely a "layman" writing it.

I submitted it to another publisher and they did NOT want a co-author who was a "doctor" or a professional, they liked the fact that I was a "layman" and approaching the topic as a parent. I got a contract to write that book and it is due in May of 2007 for a 2008 release.

You see what I mean? Had I curled up into a ball after the first rejection I never would have approached the second publisher.

We must use rejections as a way to learn and grow and try something different, or fine tune the pitch. Any number of positive things can come from rejection. It's all about attitude and committment.

As for when I write...I'm an early riser, sometimes working at 4 or 5 in the morning! The KEY to writing anything (for me) is to have a specific dated deadline. Either a REAL deadline (something specific established by a publisher and written in a contract) or my own self-imposed deadline. This is the only way I get things done.

I actually do close my email program when I am trying to get something written!

When I'm working on a book project, I also give myself a daily word count goal, I write until I reach the goal. Could be 1500 to 3000 words, depending on how soon I need to get something completed.

I don't write too many articles these days, mostly working on book manuscripts.

Here's another trick for me...I try to go somewhere away from home for 3-4 weeks at the start of a project and I spend the entire time getting the entire first draft of the book written. Of course, it will go through a ga-zillion drafts and revisions, but getting the first full draft on paper is a major priority.

I will be staying at a friends home in southern california for 3.5 weeks in January. Plan to get the first full draft of my next non-fiction project completed at that time. The ms is due at the publisher on May 1, 2007 for a summer 2008 release.

Onward!

#93083 - 11/09/06 08:39 AM Re: Writing Schedule [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hello Allison, thank you for sharing your success story with us.

I agree if your rejection letter explains why they won't consider your book, that that can be even helpful.
In my case, I get piles of standard printed rejections. I'm sure my query wasn't even read once. Since you are a published author, you already have that foot in the door. I can't even get my little pinky in.
I've tried small publishing houses and agents just starting out, but they are bombarded with hundreds of queries per day as well. Since I've never been published, I don't have any thing to show,…sort of feel like I'm chasing my own tail (tale?).
You wrote how you built your way slowly up the career ladder. Is that the only way nowadays? I'm unable to join writer's clubs or meet agents since I live overseas.
Maybe I should look reality in it's face and give it up….But I really don't want to…I actually prefer receiving rejection slips and whining about them.
From a chronic optimist.

#93084 - 11/09/06 12:54 PM GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! [Re: Edelweiss]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Hannelore expressed a sentiment that is frequently voiced in writers conferences around the country. It's that proverbial "Catch 22" situation.

But fear not! I do see success stories happening all of the time for new authors. Sometimes, it's a matter of reviewing all of your materials and going back to the drawing board to develop a new plan of action, or a new style of presentation.

The first key to all pitches is to have a great Book Proposal. So many new authors are presenting sub-standard materials because they are not on top of what is currently being viewed as the publishing standard for proposals.

Did you know if a proposal is over four pages long it's almost always passed over? This does NOT include the chapter outline or the chapter samples...but the MEAT of the proposal.

I always sugest that authors get Terry Whalin's book called BOOK PROPOSALS THAT SELL. Terry also has a writing blog called THE WRITING LIFE that has VALUABLE INFO on almost a daily basis for writers. Check out his blog here and follow the links to purchase his book.

I do not get kick-backs from sales of his books, but he is a trusted friend and his advice is "right on!"

Go to BOTH of these sites:

http://terrywhalin.blogspot.com/

http://right-writing.com/ways.html

Hannelore, can you send me an email to allison@godallowsuturns.com? I have a question for you.

Onward to all!

#93085 - 11/09/06 12:57 PM Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED! [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
One of my favorite sayings is:

Don't put a period where God has placed a comma.

This is a great saying to live by if you are a writer. Stay the course. Keep submitting! You could be one letter away from an acceptance.

#93086 - 11/09/06 01:50 PM Re: GIVING UP IS NOT ALLOWED!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Would you address query letters? They seem to scare so many writers.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved