The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 90 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89324 - 10/08/06 10:00 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,

I do Long Term Care Insurance assessments for an underwriting company that deals with several companies. Most of the people that I do the assessments on are in their 60's or older. But I think that the younger ones may not have to have an in home assessment.

The forms usually include a health history including all meds, etc. and doctor's names.

The second portion is a cognitive screen.

I never know who passes or fails, I just do the assessments but I do feel like the younger you are and the better health you are in when you apply with a chronic illness, the better your chances of being accepted.

#89325 - 10/09/06 01:50 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

My Mom has the long-term care insurance. She applied, along with Daddy, when he was first showing some signs of dementia. Of course he was turned down, but Mother was accepted. She was in her late 60's when she got it and HAD survived breast cancer. I'll asked her for more details next time I talk with her.

JJ

#89326 - 10/09/06 02:56 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Jane, do many diabetics get long term health care insurance?

#89327 - 10/09/06 05:38 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities
Jane_Carroll Offline

Dotsie,

I really don't know...because I don't see the final decisions. I know my mom has been diabetic for many years and has long term care insurance. She was probably on oral meds then.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful. My advice would be to try and see.

#89328 - 10/10/06 03:28 AM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: Jane_Carroll]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Dotsie, both my husband and I are diabetic (not insulin-dependent) and we both have long term health care insurance. We were also both over 50 when we applied for it.

#89329 - 10/10/06 10:19 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: dejavu]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ah, thanks for this. Do you mind telling me what insurance company. I think we'll start with them. My husband is insulin dependent. Does as many as four shots a day. So I have my doubts. He also happens to be one of the healthiest people I know. He takes excellent care of himself. He's been a diabetic for 30 years, but every physical, the doctor tells him that if he didn't know he was a diabetic, he would never figure it out from his physical. So far, so good!

#89330 - 10/11/06 08:11 AM Re: cost of care/retirement communities
dejavu Offline
journeyman

MetLife. Another one you might try is Aflac. The payment system is different but sometimes Aflac is easier to get for people with pre-existing conditions.

#89331 - 10/12/06 03:19 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: dejavu]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks so much.

#89332 - 10/15/06 11:43 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: chatty lady]
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
I have made an open invitation to both my parents and my mother in law that our home is open to them and they are welcome to come stay if the need arises.

Who would have thought we would even have this as a consideration as we were in our formative years?

A good friend has had the experience of being the primary caretaker of her husband after a very serious accident. Without longterm care insurance, there are not many other options.

The thought of securing this type of insurance has crossed my mind more than once.

As with anything, we hope we will never need it, but to have it if we do is a true blessing.

Kathleen Gage

#89333 - 10/16/06 08:30 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: dejavu]
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:

MetLife. Another one you might try is Aflac. The payment system is different but sometimes Aflac is easier to get for people with pre-existing conditions.

This topic is very interesting to me as I guess in another few years in this country we could be in the same position. More retirement places are going to be needed to cater for us Boomers.

MetLife, have retirement places here in NZ, my Dad lives in one. Not that he needs any care, he has is own apartment there. But at the moment costs here are much much cheaper than what you all have to pay! But that will change!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved