The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#87119 - 09/03/06 04:50 PM what do you do online?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you pay bills, buy stamps, shop from catalogs, play games, internet date, etc.?

Mind telling us what you do online?

I rarely shop online except for Amazon. Now my kids...that's another story. They love to shop online.

I don't pay bills, but want to begin. Any tips before I begin?

I never play games online, but my daughter does.

What else?

#87120 - 09/03/06 05:02 PM Re: what do you do online?
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
Great topic... I feel like we all learn from others and it's neat to share our idea.

I buy my yarn online for crochetting. I love having boxes at my door when I arrive home from work. Feels like Christmas.

I don't do alot of bill paying but am heading toward it. I do order my grocery shopping and I love it. Without a car, it is wonderful to have it delivered - and the quality and freshness is very good. I think I save time that way. I sit and place my order rather than walk the aisles and there tends to be less impulse buying.

I also use it to have dvd's mailed to my home which is a huge convenience - I get movies I really want to see and just drop them in the mailbox when I'm done.

I do alot of research - vacations etc online.

But my favorite part of being online is emails... I love getting emails from church friends, former co-workers and have made renewed friendships with old highschool classmates via email.

Donna

#87121 - 09/03/06 07:11 PM Re: what do you do online? [Re: 49erDonna]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
What do I do online? I pay bills; keep up-to-date with my finances and my mom's (bank accounts, investments, etc.); I buy, mostly from Amazon but from others too; I research lots of things; read news and blogs; I teach classes; I take classes; I get movies (Netflix - great idea!!); pay my car insurance; participate in forums; email; compare pricing for just about everything I buy; buy and sell stocks for my account; participate in surveys; do my taxes (and sometimes for others.) Wow, no wonder I have no free time! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#87122 - 09/03/06 07:59 PM Re: what do you do online? [Re: yonuh]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I have not written a check in about 8 years now. ALL online Bill Pay for me. I've been through four banks' systems regarding Bill Pay and online banking...so I consider myself an expert.

I do most of my marketing for our soap business online. LOVE doing that! And the communication to our customers.

Comparison shop as well, for the business.

Learn new techniques.

I use Yahoo Instant Messenger with my sister in the UK, whom I miss greatly. Also, email my two other siblings, but they do to "IM" very much.

Shop sometimes. Depends on what I am looking for.

Run both websites, although DH is the webmaster so he does the HTML stuff.

#87123 - 09/04/06 12:26 AM Re: what do you do online? [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I still hesitate to pay bills online. I do have one small checking account that I use for those automaitic monthly decuctions, like MSN service etc. I still write checks....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#87124 - 09/04/06 01:05 AM Re: what do you do online? [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
The nice thing about Bill Pay and online banking, Chatty is that you can monitor it minute by minute if you want.

if you do not monitor, there is more of a chance for theft...and it could be way too late.

They are VERY secure!

#87125 - 09/04/06 01:38 AM Re: what do you do online? [Re: Di]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't pay bills online, but we keep track of accounts online.
We seem to do alot of research. Especially before traveling
anywhere. I shop online somewhat. I also belong to a few
online communities, some for as long as 8 years now and
we have our daily live chats.
We are also regular eBay'ers : ) I could easily spend 5
hours a day online researching etc if I don't watch out, LOL!
Cindy

#87126 - 09/04/06 02:31 AM Re: what do you do online? [Re: diamond50]
Pam R. Offline

I have heard a few horror stories about banking online so I am really skeptical, but my girls have been doing it for years. I guess I should get "with it" real soon. It would make life a bit easier! I do shop online for lots of things from vacations, airline tickets, our Green Mountain Coffee K-cups (ummmm!!!), Lands End, LL Bean, Gap (Baby Gap of course!) and Bed Bath and Beyond. I research things like medical issues, check on my Medical Insurance coverage and payments to doctors, order my 90 supply meds online, check out real estate in my area and other areas, order entertainment tickets online like concerts, Broadway shows, sports events. I look up phone numbers and addresses (never use a phone book anymore). I really can't remember what I did without my online service before I had it. E-mail is like another phone in my home! I can communicate with lots more people in a day than I ever did without it. And of course, I can belong to this great boomer site by having online service!

#87127 - 09/04/06 03:28 AM Re: what do you do online? [Re: Pam R.]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I post a lot on Boomer Women Speak.

#87128 - 09/04/06 01:04 PM Re: what do you do online? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is fun to read.

49er, food shopping online is relatively new in MD. I've thought about it, but since I work from home (this may sound crazy) but it's nice to run to the food store on occasion and run into people I know.

Yonuh, Tell us about the classes you take and teach online. I know our generation is doing more and more of this all the time. What sites do you take classes from?

Diamond, I am afraid to get involved with Ebay. I have a SIL who's addicted. She gets things dirt cheap, but spends so much time doing it. I don' think I have the patience. What do you buy through Ebay?

PamR, I'm with you on the getting with it and paying bills online. I know I would love it, bit since I work online all day, I don't want to be on the computer again at night.

Di, staying in touch with family online is so cool. DO you get to see your sister often?

JJ, I'm glad you post at BWS a lot. I love hearing your voice. Actually, it's better by phone because I can hear that funny accent!

chatty, I'm a check writer too and my 21 year-old son doens't understand why I need a check book. Everything for him is online or his debit card.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved