The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78520 - 06/09/06 08:20 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I agree with you about the horse manure . I have never seen a squirrel or a bird run across my neighbors lawns either . You got that right Chatty. I don't like the smell of chemicals lawns.

[ June 09, 2006, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#78521 - 06/13/06 01:12 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
My yard is full of birds, bunnies, squirrels etc. Actually, the bunnies can find another home because they are eating my garden!

I guess my landscaper does not use chemicals when he treats my lawn?

I compost the veggies and would love some of Thistles' horse manure!!!

Lynn

Lynn

#78522 - 06/15/06 07:32 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, visit your local nursey who may have a schedule to follow for your specific grass.

I've a bug problem w/ mole crickets, ants and other various insects. Most products purchased at Lowe's, Home Dept or Wal-Mart do not seem to work very effectively b/c most only treat one problem at a time. Also, the costs add up. A neighbor has recently discovered "TalStar" which takes care of all those pesky bugs. Just as soon as the hurricane rain ends, I'll purchase a bag from the local feed store. I understand that you should begin application near the house and work your way out. I'll let ya'll know how it works out in a couple months!

#78523 - 06/15/06 07:36 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm making a note of that one MustangGal...I have bugs who are having a all-you-can-eat at the expense of my Hastas...and the birds are unreal! I can't even walk outside without them attacking me because of all the nest of little ones. Under my carport...I don't have the heart to tear down the nest.

Where would one purchase this?

#78524 - 06/14/06 10:04 PM Re: fertilizing lawns
Anonymous
Unregistered

JawJaw, I believe you can purchase at your local feed store or Tractor supply. A 25 lb bag should cover 5,000 sf. Although it does not fertilize, my neighbor used TalStar past spring and her yard looks wonderful, especially since those crickets no longer wreak havoc upon the lawn.

Here's a helpful website:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/talstar.htm

#78525 - 06/15/06 04:44 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JJ once the baby birdie season is over and they all vacate the nests thats the best time (Fall) to tear down the nests. You might have someone cover the place where they build nests with a mesh screening. Its not cruel and they'll just build nests somewhere else next year....

#78526 - 06/15/06 05:26 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I've put rubber snakes up there which kept them gone for a while...then I came home one day and they had all attacked the rubber snake...he was in pieces. I had to laugh.

I've also put items in the corners where they build and they just build ONTO these items...Mesh would be heaven for them. Their nest would really take shape then! HA!

I've been told to buy the corner blocks at Lowe's and nail them in the corners. I'm going to try that once the babies are gone...fingers crossed here.

JJ

#78527 - 06/15/06 05:28 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Speaking of critters...does anybody have trouble with fire ants? Gawd I hate those suckers!

Their mounds look like condominiums!

JJ

#78528 - 06/15/06 05:45 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
J.J.
No fire ants here , must be in Ala . I have ants that have invaded my kithen and I read where one part vinager and one part water and spray on the outside of the house and inside and so far it has worked for my ants . I love the smell of vinager . Well, I am coming that way in July I like to see those thing fire ants that it .

Renee

#78529 - 06/15/06 05:41 PM Re: fertilizing lawns
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

If you come down here, you'll sure see them, and their condo's...Fire ants started in Mobile AL and have worked their way up into North AL. They build huge mounds and usually have one underground a few feet from the above ground one. Tunneling, I suppose.

I've heard the only way to get rid of them is to put the Fire Ant Posioning down the mound and when you do, it doesn't kill them, they just move to your neighbors yard.

I can live with that...JJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved