The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78510 - 06/03/06 05:46 PM fertilizing lawns
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Many years ago we had Chem Lawn. Then a dear environmentalist teen told us how horrible it was for the environment so we cancelled.

Our lawn never looked the same again and we accepted it.

Now that hubby has a little more time and isn't spending every free hour watching our kids play their sports, he has taken interest in the lawn again.

He fertilized once and you wouldn't believe the difference it has made. OU grass is so green and thick.

Anyone out there that is paying monthly to have lwan services should reconsider. ALl you need to do is buy a couple bags of fertilizer and spread it once. You'll see amazing results.

#78511 - 06/04/06 07:11 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My husband did the same thing with the fertilizer and also planted some eatra grass seed. The lawn is the prettiest it's ever been. He also planted some early bulbs just outside the kitchen window so I could see them as I washed dishes.
We did a whole new rock garden thing and a wildflower patch too. We have so many trees we have to plant new flowers every year, but it's worth it.

smile

#78512 - 06/04/06 05:09 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Its best to spread the fertilizer at dusk, then water the lawn so it has all night without the heat of the sun to get a hold and begin feeding the lawn. My daddy had a green thumb and we always had the most beautiful yard on the block and he was always giving gardening advice and helping the neighbors.

#78513 - 06/04/06 07:17 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
About everyone around here in my neigborhood has chem lawn . If the wind blows in the way toward my house on the corner downwind we can smell the chemicals . One will spray there lawn aross the street and then the other neighbor will spray in the back of us . You can't walk across tthe lawn until it is dry

We have lived in our house for over 20 yrs and have never sprayed our lawn . It is bad for the dogs and kids . Now, we did for the front lawn put some ferlilezer on the grass it started to look really bad , but not the back yard .

I really like my weeds and the wild violets so much the purple and the white ones.

Renee

#78514 - 06/05/06 04:30 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Renee, I walk through our neighborhood all the time. I can always tell when chem Lawn has been around. The smell is awful. You can also see the yellow and white beads lying on the sidewalk.

#78515 - 06/07/06 02:50 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I have a new lawn (2 years old) and it looks great. I have been using a private landscaper to do the fertilizing. He does not charge us any more than going to Lowe's and buying the bags. We always bought one bag too many so we did not run out. The extra bag we bought now pays for the guy to do it for us.

It is granular and he comes 5 times per year until the lawn is firmly established. He looks at our trees and shrubs while he is here and makes comment if needed. I like the service. I never lived anywhere that would grow a lawn so I am loving it.

Lynn

#78516 - 06/07/06 07:13 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Horse manure.

I'm giving it away.

Come, get it.

Free.

#78517 - 06/07/06 09:05 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
That is so good for gardens and flower beds and the lawn , oh, but the smell for miles and miles . Haaz.......

#78518 - 06/09/06 12:39 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
You're confusing horse manure with chicken manure which REALLY stinks and burns. If horse manure has been cured correctly, there's no smell.

I'd take the smell of raw, fresh horse manure ANY day over the smell of chemicals.

#78519 - 06/09/06 04:12 AM Re: fertilizing lawns
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I would too Thistle and have. Plus the chemicals are deadly on our pets. You'll also never see a bird land on a chemical lawn...ever wonder why??
I like a mild fertilizer finely ground that easily comes out of a spreader and if you treat the lawn at dusk then water lightly the faint odor will be almost gown with the morning sunlight. My father added two boxes of baking soda mixed with his fertilizer, it kills odor and is beneficial to the lawn...

[ June 08, 2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved