The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78450 - 02/17/06 01:12 AM Re: hardwood floors
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dianne,
That is a new one om me . Are the counters like a plexi glass .? Or something like corning ? I bet it is beautiful counter top.

[ February 16, 2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#78451 - 02/17/06 07:01 AM Re: hardwood floors
MaryE Offline

Being an avid recycler and environmentalist, I installed a counter made of recycled glass when I remodeled my kitchen a couple years ago. Pieces of colored glass are embedded in a material similar to cement. The finished product looks similar to terrazo flooring and it's gorgeous. You can choose the color (or 4 colors in my case) of glass, the sizes you want the glass pieces to be, and the color of the base material. You can even supply your own glass (so if your family owns a brewery, for example, you can use pieces of broken beer bottles). The finished product feels like marble and needs to be maintained about the same.

I can't tell you the pleasure I get from seeing light shining through some of the pieces of glass. It's very beautiful.

If you're interested, check out www.counterproduction.com; they have pictures on their website. I know other companies are making a similar product but I don't know the company names...you can always do a google search.

#78452 - 02/18/06 08:49 AM Re: hardwood floors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
MaryE, how cool. I thought they would be bumpy and hard to clean. Wow, they're like marble? I bet that's pretty.

Dianne, your floor sounds so mod. What's the rest of the condo like?

#78453 - 02/17/06 09:54 PM Re: hardwood floors
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
MaryE, that link didn't work for me.

Dots, I posted a link to our place in the travel thread.

#78454 - 02/17/06 10:13 PM Re: hardwood floors
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Whenever you post a link, make sure you don't put a "period" or a "semi-colon" at the end of the link. People have a tendency to cut and paste the entire thing and then the links don't work. Try again Ms D, it could be the problem. Hugs, JJ

#78455 - 02/18/06 05:52 AM Re: hardwood floors
MaryE Offline

Dianne, Jawjaw is right. The semi-colon screwed up the link. It seems to work fine if you omit that. ....sorry...

#78456 - 07/07/06 11:56 AM Re: hardwood floors
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
We are considering replacing the carpet in our family room with a hardwood floor. There are so many different brands and kinds of wood floors to choose from. I'm in a quandary to which of these wood floors to pick. They all have pros and cons. The lamanite is reasonably priced, but I understand if it is installed with the wrong pad under it, it can sound kinda hollow when you walk over it, and it is much colder on the feet than real wood. There is the engineered wood that clicks together like lamanite, but has the look and feel of real wood. Then there is the real wood that has to be nailed down, but after time may have to be refinished...messy/dusty. There is Parquet also, which are the small squares that are nice. I generally research things to nausiaum and then get more confused than ever. Do you all have a favorite type, style, color,or brand of wood floor??......or should I just stick to carpert???

~Cookie~

#78457 - 07/07/06 03:37 PM Re: hardwood floors [Re: Cookie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't know which areas of the country but there has been a problem with mold from wood flooring. Many floor guys here in AZ won't even install the laminate any more because they're afraid of getting sued. As I understand it, real wood floors, tile, and other 'natural' materials 'breathe' better and the mold problem isn't as bad or is non-existant. We are in the process of remodeling and will be replacing all of the carpet mostly with saltillo tile because the concrete foundation is so old, cracked and uneven. There is a self-leveling concrete we could pour over the current foundation so we might try that and go for bamboo or cork flooring in the bedrooms.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#78458 - 07/08/06 03:54 PM Re: hardwood floors [Re: yonuh]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for your imput yonuh! That does make sense about the mold. I never thought about that! I guess if one's house is on a slab or concrete, there probably wouldn't be any vapor barrier between the floor and concrete, where as mositure could not escape, and then causing mold. As with a house on foundation with a crawl space or a basement, air would be able to circulate a little more to dry out the mositure and hopefully not have the mold problem. Good luck with your flooring too!

#78459 - 07/11/06 08:32 PM Re: hardwood floors [Re: Cookie]
jjblue Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Can you stand more about hardwood floors? Our house is over 100 years old, with an inlaid floor in the living room. While we were renovating the house, I 'pondered' that lovely, badly used floor. It had been sanded before, the heart nearly taken out of the wood. Finally, I decided to do the least to it, hoping for the best. I thoroughly washed it, put paste wax on it, rented a big buffer and, wow! The beauty of the wood has come through--by the second year, the protection was well set and I let it go for two years. An easy solution for old wood--

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved