The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78440 - 02/14/06 06:47 PM hardwood floors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anyone have them? We do. Even in our kitchen.

We renovated our two car garage and turned it into an eat-in kitchen about 15 years ago. The wooden floors are pine. Very soft.

It's time to have them refinished, but the thought of all that dust makes me sick.

We just experienced an indoor dust storm while redecorating our den and I'm still wiping dust off the plants, books, etc.

Who knows when we'll muster up the energy to get the kitchen floor done. I don't feel like cleaning every dish, glass, pot and pan in the cabinets.

What a whiner.

#78441 - 02/15/06 08:27 AM Re: hardwood floors
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Dotsie, did you cover the heat and return vents in the room being sanded? Did you hand plastic covers over doorways to keep dust to a minimum?

Also you might want to check out the Hyla vacuum. It's a vacuum that uses a water collection tank--but it also can be set in a room and used as an air purifier--it sucks the gunk out of the air! If you had one you could set that in the room while they are sanding and clean the air as it is being dirtied. Would help keep things cleaner. I have one and you wouldn't believe what it is able to clean and remove from carpets and the air.

If you hang plastic over your cabinets you shoudl be able to keep the dust to a minimum.

#78442 - 02/15/06 06:09 PM Re: hardwood floors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

starting over, we put plastic over the doorways, but not the vents. I neve thought to do that. Great idea to put plastic over the cabinet doors. Hmmm, maybe we can do this afterall. I'll wait for spring.

We are in need of a new vacuum. Mom's lasted forever. We seem to replace ours every year. We had a Rainbow at one time. That also had the water tank, but the dang thing was so clumsy to use. It had several parts and I got tired of them all falling apart while I vacuumed.

I'll check out the Hyla. It sounds good. They're good for allergies too.

#78443 - 02/16/06 07:48 PM Re: hardwood floors
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We're considering putting hardwood floors in the bedrooms and office. The rest of the house is ceramic tile.

Any suggestions on what to look out for? What about upkeep? How much work is it?

#78444 - 02/17/06 08:12 AM Re: hardwood floors
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Isn't the Rainbow and Hyla the same thing???

Have a Kirby for upstairs...needed another for downstairs, bought a recondition one from Ebay, it's just like new. They last years, and years. Would be happy to send his link if your interested, he has 100% feedback...I was more than pleased with the product and his shipping.

Vicki, I would also like to put the hardwood floors in...my daughter says they are easy to install...just links together. She installed the Pergo...her pit bull runs across it all the time...not scratch one, just damp mops... that it. I'm impressed.

Home Depot has a workshop to show you how-to install...now all I need to do is to make it over there on a Saturday morning.

#78445 - 02/17/06 08:13 AM Re: hardwood floors
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
We put hardwood all over the house last year because our very old and incontinent cat was driving me crazy. Of course he recovered bladder control the moment we got the zillion dollar floor. But now we have a puppy so it's great to have a floor that can be mopped.

Anyway, I love the floor. It looks so pretty down the hall and in the larger areas. It's easy to keep clean with all the new gadgets they have. I got a light weight dust buster re-chargable thing that has a cordless vaccumn in front of a mop thing that has a sprayer for floor cleaner or can be used dry. Dusting the floor is about all it needs most of the time--well at least after the cat recovered and until the puppy arrived.

I have no idea what to look for. Some of the laminate looks great, but real wood is so much prettier. You'll love it.

smile

#78446 - 02/16/06 09:16 PM Re: hardwood floors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, our whole home has hardwood floors, except the bathrooms. The only room that is pine is the kichen and it's beautiful. We have the wide slats.

The only problem is that pine is very soft so it has to be refinished more often.

I think you may be interested in oak. I believe that's what's i the rest of the house. You can use any color stain. I think hardwood floors add character.

#78447 - 02/16/06 11:12 PM Re: hardwood floors
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I had to get laminate because my house is on a slab and I was told hardwood would not work due to the moisture. They are very easy to clean and Daisy doesn't scratch then at all.

Several months ago she barfed a huge wet pile and was I glad I chose not to get carpet! [Big Grin]

Daisygirl

#78448 - 02/16/06 11:59 PM Re: hardwood floors
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I asked this question on my site and nobody had heard of it. There are new glass kitchen counter tops on the market. I imagine they are really expensive. They come in different designs and your counter top serves as a cutting board too.

Any of you heard about them?

We have painted, polished concrete floors in our new sky flat.

#78449 - 02/17/06 12:01 AM Re: hardwood floors
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Never heard of them but I'm wondering if they're similar to the glass tops on stoves?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved