The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#74680 - 07/27/05 05:54 AM Re: laptops
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
ALWAYS either back-up on a floppy disk and/or print things out. I had a terrible sysyem crash awhile back and all my manuscripts were lost, gone, fini, never to be seen or heard of again...I was devastated but when I called my computer man he said, "aha, I was afraid of something like that so I put all your stuff on 2 floppy disks." We are talking about two years work here. Now I have the disks and have to put the work back on my coputer. So you see what a problem it can be. I love my laptop and don't use anything else, never have.

[ July 26, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#74681 - 07/27/05 05:57 PM Re: laptops
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have trouble typing on a laptop. However, I wrote the first draft of my book on one but have gotten used to my PC.

Question: Can you explain how the wireless works? How do you get it hooked up, etc.

#74682 - 07/27/05 09:01 PM Re: laptops
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
writegirl - I keep two floppy copies for my manuscripts, in addition to my master file on my laptop.

My son bought me a flashdrive and it is wonderful, except the device is so small that I am afraid I will lose it so I have not used it for any manuscripts yet.

I tended to print out more than I needed to, but I feared what Chatty experienced, one crash to wipe out all of my work. Keeping multiple files has eliminated the need for printing.

Dianne - You need a wireless router (unless you are close enough to a neighbor who has one and you can pirate their signal.) I have my desktop PC's hooked into the wireless router via cable so it is a more secure connection. My laptops are used as a true wireless connection.

My laptop did not have a wireless card so I bought an external one that pops in like a floppy. It cost $50.00 and was well worth it.

#74683 - 07/29/05 08:48 PM Re: laptops
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I use my laptop as my main computer. I have a second monitor set up so that I can have 2 screens. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse so that I don't have to worry about typing on the smaller keyboard that the laptop has.

Our house is also wireless, so the laptop can go anywhere. I prefer to work at my desk (I have a rocker for a chair so it's really comfy)

My husband uses a laptop for his main computer as well. He is also wireless and takes it everywhere. I mean... EVERYWHERE. You know how some guys read magazines in the bathroom? Well, my DH takes his computer. Don't ask me how he manages. I've not been brave enough to find out. <GRIN!!>

#74684 - 07/31/05 08:33 PM Re: laptops
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Vicki, LOL, your husband really takes his laptop into the bathroom?

#74685 - 08/07/05 05:46 AM Re: laptops
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I have all of my writing saved on a flash stick. That way I can carry it anywhere I go and transfer back and forth between my two computers.

Sherri

#74686 - 08/08/05 01:18 AM Re: laptops
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
I got a new laptop this past Christmas...a wireless one...and I just love it. I'm not as fond of the keyboard though....not like my PC. BUT I do love being able to travel and take my laptop everywhere.
I also am not very computer savvy...still learning.
What's a UPS Stick? Never heard of that. I tried transferring a file of my writing from my PC to my laptop. Is this possible to do? Or am I just not doing something right?
Also....WHAT is the best way to transfer a file from PC to Laptop? When I'm traveling I'd love to have my current manuscript in my laptop also or sitting on my patio, so I could work on it. I know I can do it with a floppy...just wondering if I'm missing something, and there's another way.
Thanks for any assistance.

#74687 - 08/08/05 02:04 AM Re: laptops
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I guess laptops can be updated? I have one but only want to use it for writing, not interneting (or I won't get any writing done) Any one know what I need to do?
chick

#74688 - 08/08/05 02:21 AM Re: laptops
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
A flash stick is a memory device you can plug into a USB port on both your laptop and your PC,

I have all my writing on one and I jusdt bought another one to put my pictures on.

It shows up on whatevery computer you're using as an external D drive.

Sherri

#74689 - 08/08/05 06:03 PM Re: laptops
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
Hey Sherri....thanks. I'll check out this flash stick. Sounds like what I've been looking for to transfer my writing into my laptop.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved