The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#74229 - 11/18/05 07:16 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was never encouraged to get a college degree of any kind. My mother never worked and luckily, she didn't have to because my dad provided nicely but I have always thought how much different her life would have been if she did work. No time to dwell on small, unimportant issues.

I want to add what a really great job you ladies are doing on this forum. I deeply appreciate your wisdom and insight and your willingness to share it here. Thanks!

#74230 - 11/19/05 08:17 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Loc: Summit, NJ
Dianne,

Thanks for those nice words.

Judy

#74231 - 11/19/05 08:21 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Dotsie,
Dotsie,

Instilling independence is good. But what I worry about is that young women spend so much time these days achieving independence that they put off maariage until it is very late (sometimes too late) to have children. Read Pam's essay in our book. She is extremely honest about this issue.

Judy

#74232 - 11/18/05 09:19 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
TWO CENTS WORTH:

I think what Dotsie was saying is that women shouldn't think that their self worth is validated by the man in their life. That this man will be responsible for making them happy.

Teaching an independence of the heart and soul will help our children to understand that happiness comes from within and that we ALL have choices available to us.

Independence is a good thing, financially or otherwise. There is nothing that says you can't have it all. My niece works, has two beautiful children, a wonderful husband, and a good solid marriage from all accounts.

But the point I think Dotsie was making is that our Mother's did not have the choices we have today, and the independence she's referring to is not necessarily one of a dollar value, but of learning to NOT settle for less, in a mate, a job, a lifestyle...etc.

We have richer opportunities available to us, and armed with the knowledge, (independence) we can make better choices. Yes? No?

JJ

#74233 - 11/19/05 05:03 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Carol K Offline

Hello, All

Lynn, you've lived the life many people dream of -at least those of us raised on Jimmy Buffet and the likes of "Son of a Son of a Sailor Man". I'm sure that the real version is quite different from the imagined one. Congratulations on being so successful in so many areas.

On the impact of mothers, I'd like to share the flip side - my impact on our daughters. I think they plan to live their lives exactly the opposite of how I've lived mine. One's 25 and the other is almost 20. Neither of them appears to be obsessed with getting ahead. My grandfather was an Italian immigrant with ten children when he died in his early 50's because he went to work in the coal mines with pnemonia. He died six months before social security was inacted. My grandmother didn't speak English until the day she died in 1973 at the age of 83. I was 25, and close to her. She warned me not to have too many children. You can believe I selected my major in college based on employability.

Our girls don't think that way. They think work is about having fun. I think work is about constantly challenging yourself to do better, and the fun comes in doing better. Who's right? Go figure.

Carol K

#74234 - 11/19/05 05:43 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hi there,
I've browsed through some of the posts in this forum with fascination and definitely will get this book the next time I get to a book store or visit Amazon.
I've been in and out of corporations for about 25 years -- AT&T (Lucent), UPS, IBM, etc. -- as well as being a consultant in the tech world. I never got the rules! LOL!
I became an ardent feminist because of how my father treated my mother and my sister and me. We were continually told we were second class citizens. He was, in his words, "the captain of the ship." My mother worked part time, but never quite got out from under his thumb. They were planning a divorce when she died of the cancer which had wracked her for 10 years.
I have sons. They've struggled. I raised them to think of women as equals -- at least I think I did! Neither of them want anything to do with the corporate world because it made me so miserable and all they saw me do was work.
Great conversation

#74235 - 11/20/05 01:58 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Casey,

Where were you at AT&T? Always love to have another feminist on board. Though, since you have sons, I assume, like me, you think there are a few really7 good men in this world. I had daughters. But now I'm getting a chance to enjoy grandsons. What a joy!

Judy

#74236 - 11/21/05 03:54 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Carol-thanks for the kind words. yes, the real Son of a Sailor is quite different.

Actually, that is the topic we are on. My dad was a lifetime Navy man. My Mom a stay at home Mom. She had to be because Dad was traveling the globe for half of my childhood.

My mother always told me "I could do anything I wanted to do" and "Don't get married until you are 27".

I was married at 27, as were my siblings. Just happened that way.

My Mom was a great influence with not settling for anything less and my Dad gave me the itchy feet syndrome. I am part nomad and that drove me to many expereinces which I could draw upon in the work world.

My dad was committed to his employer (and country) for life. I am loyal but not stupid.

I really can't say who influenced me more. They each gave me a bit of their personality and then tried to let me fly. When I flew the coop is when I really began to grow up and maybe that was the greatest gift of all. They taught me how to grow up and then pushed me, and I flew.

I can't answer difinitely Dotsie.

I can say that this work thing is extremely overrated at my age. 6 years ago I felt very different. Today, I have too much to do to work!

Lynn

#74237 - 11/22/05 02:04 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Judy, I was at AT&T from 1986 to about 1990. (I have this 4-year thing going in my career life -- LOL)

After many bad relationships with men, I finally did the work on myself. Gee, men got better! Or I attracted better men. Or something. :--))

I'm a feminist with the "partnership" and "equality" ideas. I don't think men are bad, just that we tend to socialize them as leaders, "in-charge," have to have all the answers, etc. I have many male friends and they say that all of that can be exhausting after a while.

However, in the corporate world, I think it's difficult for them to give up that power. And to compete, many women adopt the "hierarchical" power mode. It's all part of those unwritten corporate rules. And if you don't comply, watch out!

I think my caution around corporations began when my father, an RCA company man, was laid off around the age of 56 or so. He was devistated. I was in college and my mom was ill with cancer. Somehow he managed to get through all of that and remarried, but he was never happy. Ultimately, he committed suicide. I don't think the corporation was to blame for that, he was never a happy man. But I think the construct in which we raise our male children can leave them with fewer options than we might like.

Sorry for the long-windedness!

#74238 - 11/22/05 04:47 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Casey, You have given us much to think about.

Lynn

Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved