The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 17 of 25 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#73575 - 07/20/05 02:04 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yuhoooo..

Let's see. The Queen of Compulsion. She is a sweetheart. She just laughed her good-natured laugh and said, "oh you silly woman...that's not me." Uh huh...sure. Denial ain't just a river in Eygpt...

As far as editing. I have two people that I lean on heavily for editing lots of things (much to their dismay). The mags I write for also have editors/proof-readers, so I know everyone will have to have a hand in the finished version...I've been fortunate enough that I'm allowed LAST shot at it, with all three editors.

But, back to the original question, I've found that if I will write it, then leave it, I can come back to it the next time (time permitting) and find boocoo's of stuff. If I try and edit right after I write it, forget it. I know exactly what its going to say, so I look overlook the obvious.

So, write it, leave it at LEAST one day, then come back. Two days if you can spare it. Something else I do...I ask a trusted friend simply, "is this funny?" If this person says NO, I curl up in a fetal position and cry softly...and if time permits once they have torn out the very heart of mine that beats and lives to write humor, I put a pox on um...

If they say yes, chances are others will think so too. Then its down to commas...I need comma therapy. I put, them every, where they don't, need to be, honest, I do. So, did I ever answer the question? What the heck WAS the question?

JJ

[ July 19, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: jawjaw ]

#73576 - 07/20/05 02:42 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My editor called me the queen of misplaced commas. Drove her crazy. At least I was queen of something.

#73577 - 07/20/05 04:04 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I heard ya Ms D. In school when the teachers would start talking about commas and dangling parts... or whatever they were...My eyes would glaze over and my brain would leave for parts unknown...

JJ

#73578 - 07/20/05 04:11 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Gosh, if I had heard it that way...dangling parts...I might have paid more attention [Roll Eyes] .

My brain was always leaving for Africa to help the orphans. Never did make it there.

JJ, a comma in exactly the right place can completely change the sentence...I'm thoroughly enjoying your commas.

[ July 19, 2005, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#73579 - 07/20/05 05:11 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Why thank you Eagle...you are too kind!

Ladies, I want to mention that the trivia contest is still ongoing and won't close until Friday. So, just to refresh you memories, this week's contest question is:

Question #2: What did Trixie (that's me) called THE SON's room, and why?

Now I won't say whether or not we have a winner, but I will say that the entries so far have ALL had the right answer! You go girls...you really ARE reading this book! whahooo...

JJ

#73580 - 07/20/05 05:49 PM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I also like the way the queen punctuates her humor. It makes all the difference in the world. I recently read an article that I liked because it shied away from formal punctuation and shared that it's okay to break the rules. I guess I like breaking rules. I never could do so in Catholic school without getting red marks all over the paper. When I break grammar or punctuation rules now I say "nannynannybooboo". So there!

#73581 - 07/20/05 06:50 PM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh peehsaw...no go on with all of ya...

Ahem...I mean it. Go on. Hello? Starving ego hereeeee....anybody?

whew...tuff room.

JJ

#73582 - 07/21/05 07:10 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Eagle, I also like the way the queen punctuates her humor. It makes all the difference in the world. I recently read an article that I liked because it shied away from formal punctuation and shared that it's okay to break the rules. I guess I like breaking rules. I never could do so in Catholic school without getting red marks all over the paper. When I break grammar or punctuation rules now I say "nannynannybooboo". So there!

LOL, i share your pain!
i may still bear the scarring of a thrice-folding ruler on the first two knuckles of my right hand, courtesy of sister joseta...they hurt when the weather gets funny but dang if i don't have near-perfect handwriting...that may have been where my spelling and vocabulary came from as for some punishment we had to let the dictionary fall open and copy all the words on both pages...eventually the X-Z page was earmarked but also eventually sister helen marie realized we'd done that and glued them together...
ahhh, good times, good times...

#73583 - 07/21/05 07:11 AM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
who loves jawjaw?!
i do!
[Big Grin]

#73584 - 07/20/05 09:24 PM Re: Queen Jaw Jaw, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne, Georgia Richardson
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
quote:
Originally posted by msdiana:
who loves jawjaw?!

Me too, me too!

Page 17 of 25 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 25 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved