The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 17 of 22 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 >
Topic Options
#73226 - 05/25/05 09:42 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Oh my goodness, what have I wrought??!!

What began as a hopefully uplifting, potentially inspiring literary journey into the heart of post-9/11 America has devolved (and don't get me wrong, I use "devolved" here in a good way... [Smile] )into a wild boomer ride of transcontinental proportions!

Dogs as hood ornaments, ladies sporting a full sartorial spectrum ranging from thongs to muu-muus, nude calendars, male strippers! When do we leave?

You realize, don't you, that your forum threads follow you around the Internet in perpetuity. When Oprah calls and books me, she may start by asking me "mother-child journey" questions, but before the first commercial break she'll be quizzing me about the boomer tour!

#73227 - 05/25/05 10:08 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Hey everyone don't forget where I live!! I'm in the same state as Oprah!

#73228 - 05/25/05 10:24 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm in. Book it. Stop by TN to pick up this old broad, then we'll head down to get JJ. But, I can't think of one living, breathing human being that would appreciate seeing me in a thong. Not even my mirror. Sounds like a great idea for a book to me.

#73229 - 05/25/05 10:41 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

We're gonna need a bigger bus.

#73230 - 05/26/05 01:07 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

It's Dana's birthday. I'm now the proud mother of two great teenagers. She's trying to decide what to do for her birthday dinner -- either go to a restaurant and order a big hot fudge sundae for her supper, or get Wendy's. Up to her.

Dotsie, I'm so glad to hear you're son's having a great time so far. I've been meaning to ask whether you'd heard from him. Rome is a magnificent city. But the weak dollar is surely making Europe much pricier than it's been in the past. I remember when the Euro was about 80 cents. Now it's about a buck and a quarter.

Before I run off to either Wendy's or ice cream heaven, I wanted to share this book excerpt with JJ. It's about southern hospitality and the kindness of strangers. I'll never forget these two guys. We're in Mississippi:
---

When we got to Natchez, we sized it up as a good place to fish, and we drove to Bailey Park early one morning so Adam could spend some quality river time before the day’s high heat and humidity set in. He looked under the seat for his rod and tackle box. “Where are they, mom? I gave them to you to hold.”

So he did, back in Vicksburg, where I’d laid them down to take a picture. I felt worse than bad. Adam had been looking forward to this. Up in town, there was a K-Mart next to the Natchez Market, where the day before we’d spent a few fun minutes watching red plastic shopping carts roll through the downhill-sloping parking lot and bump into shoppers’ cars. I told Adam I’d replace his equipment as soon as K-Mart opened. But that was over an hour away, and I had ruined this perfect fishing morning. Adam was decent about not rubbing it in, but did utilize his keen eye for opportunity: “Since I’m so devastated, can I have a root beer for breakfast?”

Two men in a pickup backed down the cement boat ramp pushing a Bass Tracker. “How you doin’ today?” asked the driver.

I pointed at Adam, sucking down his 7 a.m. root beer. “Well, right now we’re trying to get over the fact that mom left his fishing rod in a park back in Vicksburg.”

John and Mac immediately became everything good about Mississippi that we needed to know. Our chance meeting meant they couldn’t solve the rod problem (“If I’d a known these kids was gonna be here, we’d a brought some rods – Mac’s got about ten,” sighed John), but they found other ways to show the kids a fine Mississippi River time.

They hoisted Adam and Dana into the bass boat and opened coolers holding yesterday’s catch. Three catfish, a whiskered one and two flatheads, each about six pounds, sat on ice. They looked huge to me, but Mac dismissed them as small, unprofitable fry he hoped he’d be able to sell. “The best eatin’ catfish are about eight to nine pounds.” Size matters in catfish. “Caught a 76-pounder once. Too big. Bad eatin’. Too much fat. Nobody’d buy it.”

Mac told of the “evidence” of a 110-pounder capable of turning the who-eats-whom tables. “River’s got stories.” He pointed to a spot in the river. “Right out there. Eat a man whole.” As Adam listened to the fish tales, I imagined him wanting to get to K-Mart as soon as possible to retool so he could reel in one of these leviathans. He probably also fantasized that I’d empty the Thule and fill it with ice, so we could haul the thing around for a while.

Mac did most of the talking while John got ready to launch. He was going to cross to Vidalia on the Louisiana side to check some catfish lines he’d sunk near a spot where a new hotel was going up. He offered to take us along for the ride. It was tempting to go out on the Father of Waters and watch a Natchez fisherman at work.

But I couldn’t. While intuition sounded the all clear, I needed to err on the side of too much caution when it came to decisions about safety or vulnerability. Keeping my guard up wasn’t something I could compromise on this trip, even if it meant missing some experiences. I had a fitting, but truthful excuse.

“Thank you, but I’m afraid of the water.” Mac, either sharp, sympathetic, or both, said he understood my fear. “So’s John’s girlfriend. She won’t get in the boat.” Then he added, “This river’s taken a lot of my friends.”

But he loved it. “I been on every inch of her. I’ve camped on all these sandbars, me and my wife. We got a generator and TV.”

The signature steel bridge that connects Natchez with Vidalia began to shimmer with heat as the sun assumed its position over the Mississippi. Mac and John told us that about four years back, the water level was so low you could stand on the bridge and look down on a pile of cars and trucks, dumped into the river when a barge hit the bridge in 1945.

By now, John had an overdue date with some catfish lines, and K-Mart was open and ready to sell us new fishing gear. We shook hands. John looked at Adam. “Take care of your mama.”

We felt happy as we drove away. The whole day and the whole country were ahead, and everything we’d left behind was good. “Just think, Adam. Some kid in Vicksburg is catching catfish right now.” Adam smiled. “Yeah, that’s what I was thinking.”

-----------
(Dana just decided. It's Wendy's.)

[Roll Eyes]

#73231 - 05/26/05 04:21 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Lori, I wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying this topic of travel experiences.I must have been bitten by the travel bug while reading on of these posts because I am ready to hit the road.

Happy Birthday to Dana.

chick

#73232 - 05/26/05 05:38 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Lori,
I want to tell you how much also I have enjoyed your travel experinces . I have just been reading you comments . Did you every get to the state of West Virgina . My husband is from there and we love it . West Virgina is so beautiful and peaseful too me. Just wondering

#73233 - 05/26/05 05:42 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lori
Your posts have given us all the travel bug. You have infused me with a whole new travel spirit and now I am ready to GO again.
I stupidly kept putting off actually ordering your book, or maybe I was just waiting for your special deal. Either way, I won't have it during our trip, but I will definitely be traveling with your spirit and will enjoy reading the book even more when I get home.
You gave us the "travel bug" and I bet we gave you the "Boomer bug." Now we may never be able to get through life without traveling and you may never be able to get through a day without boomering.
I'm not leaving for a couple more days and I will be checking in during our trip, but in case I miss you, I just wanted you to know that you've been a terrific Featured Author. Your positive spirit is contagious.
And you might as well face it. You're one of US now.
smile
P.S. Don't think I am forgetting the Sleaze tour. Nosirree!! This trip east is just practice. Yep, I'm practicing up for the Big Boomer Sleaze tour! Whoooeee!!

Happy Birthday to Dana.

[ May 25, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#73234 - 05/27/05 07:53 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

Hello to all -- I'm getting a late start today because I have a bit of a cold, and Mike took the kids to school so I could sleep in. I've got a book reading tomorrow night with a book club - a group of cool ladies in South Boston - and I want to be sure I'm healthy and get my voice back.

Thank you all for your kind comments about this thread. I have to say, I have truly enjoyed it, and I'm sad to see it coming to an end. We've had such fun. Why, I even "met" Dianne's sister, an expat living in Paris and Provence, through this forum. It just took us in so many different, wonderful directions. I'm deeply honored that Dotsie invited me to share "Ribbons" with you and swap travel experiences. When women travel, they learn about the world, but they also discover much about themselves. Travel empowers.

I'm glad I've infected so many people with the travel bug. If you're gonna get a disease, this is the one to get! We'll have to keep each other posted on where our future travels take us. Any plans, Chicakdee?

Nancy, yes, we spent many marvelous days in West Virginia on our "Ribbons of Highway" journey, and I write quite a bit about it in the book. The kids got their first taste of camping at New River Gorge, and we made friends with the campground owner's dog, a crazy pup named Loca who kept barreling up the trunks of trees trying to catch squirrels. She'd fall backwards off the tree, smash to the ground, then do it again, with relish. A dog I think Trixie might like.

We followed the Midland Trail along the Kanawha River and drove through coal towns like Ury, Sophia, Tams , Smither, Boomer, Alloy. We went deep into the Beckley Mine with Jim, an oldtimer who'd spent 35 years working the Sewell seam. We took in Charleston's old cobbled sections and saw the mansions high on the bluff above the Kanawaha. West Virginia was a place that was hard to leave. (But Kentucky horse country was next, so Dana was wild with anticipation.)

Smile, we'll probably talk before you leave, but I've been thinking about your departure and wish you good luck and Godspeed. The same to Danita, as she prepares to take off for South Dakota for Memorial Day weekend. May you both have journeys that fill up your hearts, your minds, your souls. Tell us everything when you get back.

Smile, if you do order "Ribbons," you can certainly order from www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591134536/ or www.booklocker.com/books/1451.html , but if you'd like a signed copy, remember the special "Boomer" offer I hid in an earlier post. A buck off the book's price, and I pay the shipping for anyone who finds me -- now or any time in the future -- through this thread. $13.95 total gets a signed copy on its way to you. Just put "boomer" somewhere on your check. Tell your friends! (40 Williams St., N. Easton, MA 02356).

(Also, I keep forgetting about this. If you're into e-books, you can download "Ribbons" from Booklocker, the publisher, for only $8.95. You don't get the pretty cover photo of Montana that Writer's Digest book contest judges loved so much, but you get the words cheap...)

Anyway, enough self-promotion. We need to find out whether Sherri's ever seen Oprah (the real lady, not the show). Decatur isn't close to Chicago, I know, but you never know where that connection to the big time might be. I saw Oprah once. Oprah's car, actually. I was riding into downtown Chicago in morning rush-hour traffic, and just ahead of me in the slothlike crawl was a big, gleaming Mercedes with the license plate "Harpo One." I figured it was Oprah. Or at least the person who has the office next to hers. I hadn't written "Ribbons" yet, or I would have propped the book on the dashboard and flung a copy out the window onto the hood of her car.

#73235 - 05/26/05 10:57 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have sincerely loved this thread. What a world of information you are. Maybe you could be the guide for a future Boomers trip? If we planned far enough ahead and all saved our dollars, it would be a trip of a life time. Something I'd never forget.

And Lori, I hope you hang around and keep us updated on your many travels or just your life in general. I feel like I've made a very close friend.

Page 17 of 22 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved