The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 16 of 22 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#73216 - 05/25/05 01:08 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Well, I'm gonna show some ignorance here...(nutin' new there, eh?), what is an ALL-INCLUSIVES? I'm hoping I'm not the only one who doesn't know? anybody?

I've traveled to Scotland and to England. Other than that, I've visited about 20-30 of our own states and loved every one of them. I just loved reading all of your post. I think if you put your travels along with SMILES, you two would have the globe covered. Wait a minute....What about the deep South Lori? Did I miss that?

JJ

#73217 - 05/25/05 08:01 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Whoaaaa! It's the Queen. How very cool. I've been fans of you and Trixie from afar. Nice to begin to get to know you.

All-inclusive means, basically, that all the food and drink you can shove into your face during a 24-hour day is included in your price of admission (room rate). And, all the water sports and other diversions you can handle, if you're sober enough. "All-inclusives" are generally found in Caribbean resort areas that cater to Americans wishing to 'see the islands' without venturing beyond the gate of their resort compound. (Sorry, Dotsie, but you know it's true.) It works and doesn't, is good and isn't, depending on your goals, viewpoint, bank account and number of beers consumed.

We've had quite a time here on this forum over the past month. I've had a blast. We've traveled the globe. I'm proud of the thread we've left for others to read. Good people, information, conversation.

Me? About 60 countries and some 40 states. But there's still time, God willing.

I haven't been to Alabama, although my grandfather lived in Birmingham. I've recently started researching our family history, and he was an interesting cat -- before, during and after his Alabama years.

I'd traveled in the South -- Tennessee, Georgia, the Carolinas, Florida, Arkansas -- before the 12,000-mile, post-9/11 road trip that spawned my book. On our "Ribbons of Highway" journey, my kids and I got to know Mississippi and Louisiana, and some of the journey's, and the book's, most important human moments were spent with rangers in the deep, green woods of the Natchez Trace, Mississippi men out for early morning catfish, and Cajun boatmen who knew the bayou like the backs of their hands.

Does Trixie know she's a celebrity?

#73218 - 05/25/05 09:33 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
What -- you're taking Dotsie on the Sleazeball Tour of Southern California and not hiring me as your tour guide?? [Roll Eyes]

I'm hurt, peeved, and feeling just a little bit neglected. Okay, a lot. [Razz] [Razz]

I will not introduce you to my favorite transvestive country singer in Hollywood. I will not take you to the best place to get your tattoos, alternative piercings and thong bikinis. I won't even take you to a surfing tournament where the spectators drink beer until they fall off the bleachers.

No, no, no.

I won't even take you for a ride in the infamous green minivan in which I took a 2-week tour of non-tacky Northern California last summer. Which I wrote about here, and which you've already forgotten. *sniff*

I am feeling neglected. [Frown]

#73219 - 05/25/05 10:21 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
chickadee Offline

Not to worry Meredith, you can take me.

Meredith? Hello? [Frown]

I was thinking about get blue waves tatooed across my stomach. My stretchmarks would give it that nice rippled effect, don't you think [Cool]

#73220 - 05/25/05 04:11 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Does Trixie know she's a celebrity? Give me a break...I caught her twice last week wearing my tiara...outside...talking to the German Sheperd down the street. I brought her in and gave her the "Be yourself, don't pretend to be something your not" speech and when she walked off, I swear I thought I heard her muffle, "oh yeah, this is coming from a woman who wears a tiara and a MuuMuu." But...I could be mistaken. Anyhooo...you have ancestors that tie to Alabama? Holy Moly! That practically makes us kin, don't it? I love Mississippi and its beautiful homes. There are so many. The people there are warm and friendly too. I also love Tennessee and have always said I would love to live there, but honey, give me North Carolina. What a beeeuuuutiful place! Don't you think so?

If you come to Alabama, make sure you visit Tuscumiba...home of Helen Keller, Big Spring Park (laser water show) and the Music Hall of Fame. This is my hometown area. There is also the Coon Dog Grave Yard. You won't be disappointed. As a matter of fact, if you start to come this way, let me know and I'll tell you all of the "thangs" you should see. Hugs, JJ

#73221 - 05/26/05 07:19 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I can take you on the White Trash Tour in Nashville.

#73222 - 05/26/05 07:35 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Everyone can go together, in Smile's RV. Smile, looks like you'd better make sure there's lots of bunk room, because it's going to be one riproaring sleaze tour of Southern Cal and hot spots south of the border. They'll have to redefine "recreational" vehicle at the conclusion of this trip. A busload of tattooed, tequilaed boomer women -- and possibly a dog in a tiara -- having their bodies pierced and crooning along with Hollywood's finest transvestite country singer. Everybody will have to write a book about this journey. Dotsie's probably barred the door already so Smile can't hijack her and is thanking heaven that she's had the wisdom never to set foot west of the Rockies.

Yup, Alabama ties, JJ. By way of Brooklyn and Pittsburgh. My grandfather's family escaped Cornwall, England's tin mining life and landed at Ellis Island. His dad mined coal in Pittsburgh, then headed south. I'm not sure what my grandfather's name was when he lived in Birmingham. He was born Steele Pille. But he wanted to join the Navy before he was of legal age, so he enlisted as "Harry Doubleday." Over time, the two names spawned more combinations, and he walked around as Harry Pille et al. for a bit. Not sure what moniker he used in Birmingham.

Thanks for the travel tips on Alabama. I do want to get back down south to do some more exploring. And yes, North Carolina is heaven on earth. In an early post, I suggested some routes for Smile's upcoming trek to the east coast, and those gorgeous ribbons of highway that wind through the Smokies, the Blue Ridge and other pieces of the Appalachians set the soul to stirring.

And yes, the people are lovely. Warm, gracious, welcoming, smart, tough and honest all rolled into one package. Just hanging out with folks informed so much of our "Ribbons" journey. I'll share a book excerpt about a few of them in another post.

#73223 - 05/26/05 07:58 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When is the sleazeball tour. I can hardly wait. I'm guessing husbands aren't invited!

Lori, your take on all inclusives is interesting. Having three teens, we looked at it from the perspective of being a less expensive way to feed all of us. We didn't take advantage of the booze. Fortunately, the place we stayed wasn't a haven for young drunks. There were lots of families.

jj, I'd love to get to Alabama, and I don't care about sight seeing. All I want to do is meet you!

Diane, I'll take you up on your tour. I've just got to get my kids in college, then I'll be able to hit the road.

My son made it to Rome. He's was going to Vatican Square today. He called yesterday. I could tell by how quickly he was talking that he was having a blast. This is my son that's majoring in Finance. He mentioned how expensive everything was several times. I told him to use some of his skills and be frugal!

Smile, when do you leave on your trip?

#73224 - 05/25/05 08:20 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Oh Loriiii,

Before you came along and caused me to """spill the beans,""" JJ and I had been planning the First Annual Boomer Tour, Nude calendar, and Thong Escapade.

The plan is to travel around the country picking up boomers and photographing the nude calender.
Meredith can lead the California sleaze tour and jj can lead the Confederate soldier tour.
Then when all us fabulous boomers are pooped from posing for the calendar and... Well, anyway, that's when we'll circle back by the Oprah show to model our tatoos and our new thongs on national TV.

Of course we'll need a man to drive or else we'll never get past the bathroom stop so our plan was to take the Chippendale dancers along. They can drive and "inspire" us. And I'm thinking margaritas on tap.
Being the martyr type, I'm going to let the Chips sit on my lap while JJ (the intellectual type) interviews them for a book.

We were going to kidnap Dots and the sleaze tour was a secret. It was YOU, that caused me to reveal it BTW. So now YOU'LL have to come along to keep Dots under control cause if we ever get her past the Rockies, WATCH OUT WORLD!!!
smile

Hmmm. You think Trixie would do as a hood ornament?? Okay, okay, it was just a thought. If we don't keep her busy, she'll try to steal the chips for sure.

[ May 25, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#73225 - 05/25/05 08:51 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
P.S.
Oh my gosh!! I just had a thought. I say we add the noodlin' tour to Dotsie's trip. I'll be he guide and we can get a few of those grizzly noodlers to help the Chipendales drive.
Yessirreee!!
If we ever get Dots out of Baltimore, she's in trouble for sure.
smile

Page 16 of 22 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved