The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 109 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 19 of 26 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#72986 - 04/20/05 07:46 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I was an avid reader as a child, but what I remember most is being read to by an elderly babysitter. She used to read me all these really neat Bible stories; I guess she must have been a master storyteller, because they always seemed so exciting and left me hungry for more. Then I got my own copy of a children's version of Bible stories and never got tired of reading out of that book. My all-time favourites were Daniel in the lion's den, the Prodigal son (I always changed it to daughter), the Good Samaritan and doubting Thomas (I even named a pet bird after Thomas). They became like best friends to me.

Many hundreds of books and many years later, these are still my all-time favourite characters.

#72987 - 04/20/05 06:17 PM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm too old to remember what I read back then. I loved to read The Giving Tree to my kids.

#72988 - 04/20/05 08:00 PM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dianne, I was also going to ask what you all read to your children, since I didn't have any. Eagle, I grew up Catholic, and I'm still recovering! The Bible was not promoted to children, but the Catechism was, and I can't remember a thing about that. I do recall those Bible story books in doctor's offices, and I was interested, but I don't recall them ever being a part of my life. My mother did read fairy tales to me, from the same book she had when she was a child. It sounds like those stories made quite an impression on you! The Bible stories can be rich with myth, mystery, and metaphor.

#72989 - 04/21/05 12:56 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi everyone, a few days ago we touched on femininity. The following passage takes place when I was about 13, after my brother had sexually abused me. I had turned to “emotional eating” long before Dr. Phil and Oprah and others started using the phrase. There was a time when I would have been ashamed of these eating patterns, but now I want to share because some of you might recognize the correlation between emotions and eating, or not eating (I went through compulsive over eating, and then anorexia.) ***I repressed feelings or was it that they were stuffed deep down inside? I substituted the need for emotional nourishment with food and went on a feeding frenzy. While watching TV, I ate ice cream. While doing homework, I ate cookies. While standing in the kitchen, I ate chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate chip cookies. Before school, I ate the single serving boxed breakfast cereals two or three at time, with extra sugar. After school, I ate frozen chocolate éclairs, frozen. I squirted whipped cream directly into my mouth, letting the sweet cream tease my tongue with solace. But I was never fully satisfied. After inhaling the whole enchilada, my finger would slide down my throat, forcing vomit until I was fully disgusted.
I watched the needle on the scale stall at higher numbers: 120, 130, 140. It was an out-of-body experience to see 156 pounds. Dragging myself around like the carcass of a dead cow, I wallowed in self-pity and waddled to the bus stop. I hid my obsession with food by buying snacks at school and hiding Twinkies in my pockets. I hid my body by wearing brown baggy pants with a loose flannel shirt.
“You look like a dyke,” my stepfather said. “Don’t you have something more feminine? Didn’t your mother take you shopping for school clothes? She knows how to dress like a lady.”
I didn’t know what looking like a dyke meant, but his remark was obviously derogatory. So I decided to hide my body in a raincoat, wearing it like body armor indoors and out.***

#72990 - 04/21/05 01:20 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Reading as a child:

I read voraciosly as a child; and still do [Smile]

Loved the mysteries like Nancy Drew; and "My Friend Flicka," and it's sequels; The Hobbit and that whole series; Anne McAffrey's Pern series (I'm big into series); David Morrell, Robert Ludlum...

#72991 - 04/21/05 02:34 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dian Offline

What I read now:

Pleasure: Mystery series such as those written by Robert Crais, Lee Child, Carol O'Connell, Nevada Barr, Dana Stabenow and for fun, Janet Evanovitch; other authors: Ted Dekker, Jan Karon, Frank Perretti, Ward Tanneberg, Faye Kellerman and Alex Kellerman.

Inspiration: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Gerald Mann, books about the Bible, the Bible.

I enjoy comedic works but I tire of constant profanity for no other reason than to be profane. Evanovitch does that and it's starting to detract from the comedy. Used to be a big fan of Robert B. Parker's Spenser series, but after 30 some books, it's becoming tiresome.

J.A. Jance writes some good mysteries.

And of course, I try to choose books to review that I think I'll enjoy - so far I've only had to return two books.

#72992 - 04/21/05 04:12 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Dian, yeah, I loved "Flicka" and "Black Beauty." I think I must be challenged in the fiction category because I have not heard of the authors you mentioned. You must read a lot! I like Pat Conroy because he writes fiction that certainly could be taken for non-fiction. I wonder how much of his work is auto-biographical.It's a great joy and pleasure for me to read uninterrupted, and give myself permission to read instead of thinking I should be doing something else. I must tell you this: when the Unity Church in the Rockies asked me to review books for the congregation, I said yes. You influenced me! I would probably have said no, thinking that I was under-qualified (that potent insecurity gets the better of me sometimes.) But because of your work and reviews, I thought, hmmm, maybe I can do this. So far I've done 3! The Purpose Driven Life, Miss America By Day (another book about childhood abuse that I read/reviewed because of April being awareness month) and "Soulmates" by Deepak Chopra. Next I'm going to tackle "The DaVinci Code," which I'm been afraid to read because I think it might be over my head. But if everybody is talking about it, then they must want to know what others think, and at least I have gianed the confidence to read a book and tell others what I think.

#72993 - 04/21/05 05:42 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

I posted the following in another forum, but thought I'd like to put it here, too: Hi all, I want to share something I don't often talk about. My book opens with my suicide attempt at the age of 25. I was told I was "a goner" for at least 2 minutes. I did not write about a near death experience because it is a profound personal experience that I had no words for at the time I was writing the book. And I explained EVERYTHING in my book, so to be at a loss for words says a lot about how difficult it is to talk about NDE. Eagle, and everyone else, I would like to share that when we transition, all there is is LOVE and LIGHT. That's all that matters. It's as simple as that. All of our hurts, resentments, pain, disappointments, etc. fade suddenly. All we are left with is love and light. If you've read my book, you know that my father sexually and otherwise abused me, and he committed suicide. Why would I want to "see" him again in his afterlife? I tell you, all that was left between us in those few minutes that I entered his world was LOVE. You may not want to hear this, but even those who have wronged you may become clear to you in the afterlife in their SOUL form, and it is all LOVE and LIGHT. (At least, that was my experience) If all we do in our lives is love ourselves and one another, then we have found our purpose in life. So why would I want to return to human form after glimpsing the afterlife? I did not want to, God wanted me to, and that is another matter for acceptance. It is enough if all we do is love, love, love. and light, Lynn

#72994 - 04/21/05 06:00 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dian Offline

I think, Lynn, that that's what God meant when he said he'd wipe every tear away. At that final moment, I believe we are healed of everything - physically, emotionally and whatever else might have tortured us in this lifetime. After all, God became Man and endured awful things so that we can ultimately be healed of all things. NDE is fascinating to me, especially because I long for the love, light and laughter of heaven.

Jesus tried to get the message across when asked about what the most important commandment was, and He responded to love God above all, and love everyone else next. Pretty much sums it up right there.

Lynn - I'm so happy you've the confidence to review books! Be true to yourself, though - don't let worrying about what others think deter you from stating your honest opinion. My only problem with being a professional reviewer is the backlog that builds up at time. It never fails that several books arrive all at once, even though the requests have been spaced out...go figure. When I returned from Florida the last time, there were 12 books waiting for me; and since I've returned, 8 more have come in, though some of the requests are two months old.

I'm not complaining, though; because of my reduction in income, I still get to do one of my most favorite things in all the world - READ!!!

The interviewing is so interesting to me. I have my interview with Joyce Faulkner to transcribe, and she was wonderful and fascinating--as are most people when you take the time to stop and dig into their heads.

I have both The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, but I haven't read either one yet--they were two I bought several months ago, but because of the number I get to review, I haven't had time!

#72995 - 04/21/05 06:47 PM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
While in Paris, my sister took us on a DaVinci Code Tour. You can see that the book is clearly fictional and especially in the museum. Still, it was interesting. Ron Howard is in Paris filming the movie right now.

Lynn, I've received manuscripts from women who have also written books on dv and want my opinion. Like you, it can all get far behind and you have a pile waiting to be tackled. Now, I send them to my editor!

Page 19 of 26 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 26 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved