The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#72733 - 03/09/05 11:38 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Loc: Lumberton, NC
Hi, Dotsie and Speakermom!
Yes, I do have an agent. I submitted queries to both agents and publishers simultaneously, deciding to go with whoever wanted me first! The publisher came through first, but by the time I'd had my second book published, I attracted an agent for movie rights, foreign rights, etc. The best way to attract an agent (in my opinion) is to use the Writer's Market books and carefully select people who work with your particular genre. Once you have one book published, it becomes a "numbers game"; the first thing another publisher or an agent will ask is, "how many books have you sold?"
Speakermom, good advice. I would never send a query or manuscript to one publisher at a time. It could take decades to find one at that rate. I sent out about 20 at a time, and highly recommend it!

#72735 - 03/10/05 10:59 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Hi, speakermom:
Congratulations on getting an agent to call you. It sounds like you are well on your way! Many people try for years to get that phone call.

I would ask:
(a) what genre they generally represent;
(b) names of some authors they currently represent within your genre;
(c) publishing houses they like to work with (i.e., some prefer working with Random House, Doubleday, etc... It helps if the agent has personal relationships with some of the big NY houses);
(d) is the agent physically located near the publishers? An agent doesn't need to live/ work in NY to work with the NY publishers, but it sure helps when they can meet for coffee or lunch...
(e) does the agent specialize in particular rights - such as movie, mass paperback, foreign, etc?
(f) ask to see a copy of their contract;
(g) research the fees the agent charges vs those that are standard in the industry;
(h) don't ever go with an agent or publisher who charges to read your work;
(i) long how in business, and then research the Better Business Bureau and writer's resources to make sure they don't have complaints against them; when you're working through an agent, the checks go to them, not to you, so they have to have a good reputation, especially financially;
(j) what is their accessibility? You don't want to be bothering the agent with calls all of the time, but when you do need to talk to him/her, they should be accessible. I know of several agents with answering machines who sit right there at their desk and listen to people leaving messages and then decide whether or not to call them back... It's much better when a live person answers the phone.
(k) what did the agent do before he/she was an agent? Some agents worked for big publishing houses; those are likely to have friends in those houses they can easily call upon...

Those are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. If anyone else has any suggestions, please add them!

Good luck, speakermom!

#72736 - 03/12/05 08:18 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Trish, I was fortunate enough to find an agent and it was sheer determination that allowed it. I used Herman's book, The Writer's Guide to Book Editors, Publishers, and Literary Agents. It is my most dog-eared, written in, and highlighted book. He offers the following information for agents:
Name
Born
Education'career History
Hobbies/personal interests
Areas most interested in agenting
Areas not interested in agenting
If not agenting, what might you be doing
Best way to initiate contact
Client representation
Comminssion structure
Nimber of titles sold last year
Rejection rate
Common mistakes authors make
Description of the client from hell
Description of the dream client
How did you become an agent
Why did you become an agent
How would you describe what you do for a living
What can writers do to enhance thier chances of getting you as their agent
What do you think about editors
What do you think about publishers
Comments
Representative titles

You can learn so much by reading this book cover to cover and get a real feel for agents that you may click with. That's key.

I finally found my agent through Writers Digest. They had an article that listed 25 agents looking for new talent. The funny thing is that I had crossed out my agent in Herman's book, but when I read about her in the magazine I decided to give it a try. She was accepting online queries so I went for it. I heard back within a half hour.

Brenda, you may want to ask some of the questions I listed above. Here are a few more:

-Is it a per project representation?
-What is their commission rate?
-Is there a time limit to representation?
-What about termination by you or the agent if the relationship doesn't work?

You want an established agent who has sold books in your field. You also want someone who is equally as passionate about your work.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

#72737 - 03/12/05 08:18 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Trish, do you belong to any writing associations? What writing conferences do you attend?

#72738 - 03/11/05 09:05 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Trish,
Are your characters based on real people or are they completely fictional?

#72739 - 03/12/05 12:14 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Hi, Dotsie and TVC15!
Dotsie, that is a terrific suggestion. Glad you made that post! I know we all have our fingers crossed for Speakermom.
I do belong to Sisters in Crime. I would like to join some more.
Which writing conferences do you attend, Dotsie? Which would you recommend?

TVC15:
My characters are composites. Sometimes I observe a complete stranger's habits and they make it into my book. Could be something as simple as wearing their glasses on their forehead, or as complex as the baggage they carry around from past relationships.
In "Kickback", I did model Aunt Jo's home after my own aunt's home in central Tennessee. In the sequel to Kickback, I got the inspiration for Sheila's roots from my father's family...
I do add in real names to make the stories more believable, such as a politician, anchor, or celebrity, but never as a main character and never when I am fictionalizing a scene with them.

#72741 - 03/12/05 02:54 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
GOOD LUCK BRENDA!

Trish I didn't realize (at least I don't think I did...LOL) that you were a member of Sisters In Crime.....me too - the Internet Chapter.

If I ever decide to go with another agent, this information is VERY useful - thanks to you AND Dotsie for the great lists of questions to ask. I had no idea what I was doing when I signed with my former agent - it rapidly became obvious SHE didn't know what SHE was doing either!! We made a great team (HAHA). [Eek!] [Confused]

#72742 - 03/12/05 04:40 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Way to GO!!Goodluck&GodSpeed!!

#72743 - 03/12/05 06:32 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Speakermom, that sounds like you "passed" the telephone interview with flying colors. Good luck, and let us know what happens!
Hi, Pam! Yes, I've been a member of Sisters in Crime for a few years now. I am the ad coordinator; we did an annual group ad for a couple of years in Publisher's Weekly, but didn't do a group ad this year... Once I get moved, I would like to join a NC chapter. Anybody out there a member of SinC near Lumberton?
Pam, how does the internet chapter work?
I am speaking at a writer's workshop today... Nine authors are speaking; mine is one of the first. I may sit in on some of the other author's talks. There seems to be a lot on publishing, how to get published, etc. I'll pass on any words of wisdom I find today!

#72744 - 03/13/05 09:45 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Patricia, I can't wait to hear about your presentation.

I belong to National Association Of Women Writers and the international Women's Writing Guild.

I attended a NAWW conference held in Texas a couple years ago. I've found the women in that association to be extremely warm and supportive.

I've also attended IWWG's Meet The Agents in NY. There were about seven NY agents present with over a hundred women writers. The agents introduced themselves and shared the type of work they represent and a few helpful hints about querying them. After all had spoken there was a huge cattle call. The writers jumped and moved quickly to speak with the agent of choice. Writers pitched books and it is said that some find representation at these meetings.

I understand IWWG has a wonderful week long event in upsate NY in early summer, but Ive never attended. Some day...

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved