The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#72721 - 03/08/05 04:22 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Loc: Lumberton, NC
Hiya, JJ!
Of course! Anything is possible for you, dear! Just finished autographing it and it will be in the mail to you Tuesday morning. Thanks for ordering it!
I absolutely LOVE your accent. Can't wait for the four of us gals (and whoever else wants to join us!) to get together at Book 'Em. We're going to have a blast!
Trish

#72722 - 03/08/05 05:38 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
huh...what accent?

JJ

#72723 - 03/08/05 05:41 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
pssst Trish - JJ, doesn't think she has an accent, the rest of US talk funny - just play along, OK [Wink] [Wink] [Razz]

#72724 - 03/08/05 06:20 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Oops. Mum's the word.

#72725 - 03/09/05 08:14 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by pmterrell:
Hi, Dotsie!

And the one way to get a woman involved in ANYTHING is to threaten her child. That's how Tim became embroiled in the story.
I enlisted the aid of a 16-year-old boy, the son of some book store owners, to help me with Tim. I'd written several chapters involving Tim and gave them to Robert to tell me if that was truly how a 16-year-old boy would react to a kidnapping, the media frenzy, and all that was happening with his parents. Robert gave me some great information, which I incorporated into the book. It really helped round out Tim's character.

I am so impressed with the type of research you do for your books. Robert allowed you to do wonderful job of presenting a teen's perspective. I thought you were right on the mark with his character.

#72726 - 03/08/05 10:37 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Thank you, Dotsie! I really have been fortunate, being able to call upon so many people with varying expertise. When I wrote the scene of Kit being arrested and brought through the jail, I even had the good fortune to work with two police officers (one is now Assistant Chief of Police) who took me through the entire booking process. So the inside of the jail is exactly as it really is in real life...

#72728 - 03/09/05 09:32 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi! I have a different question... about talking with publishers...I've been submitting picture book manuscripts and getting past the slush pile -yesterday I got a long, encouraging, personal letter from a publisher with lots of good comments about my writing and a couple of specific reasons why it didn't quite "make it". Should I take that as an invitation to revise the manuscript and send it again? (She didn't return my manuscript - I wondered why?) Also, the picture book market here is very small - is it healthier over there?

#72729 - 03/09/05 05:54 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Hi, Speakermom and Julie!
Great questions.
Speakermom, the difference between science fiction and fantasy, in a nutshell: science fiction is based in part on science. Literally. If you study Isaac Asimov's books (he's considered the father of science fiction) much of it is based on technology and futuristic events.
Fantasy, on the other hand, can involve no technology whatsoever and be based in any time period. "Lord of the Rings", for example, reminds me of the middle ages and is not futuristic.
There are other themes as well... science fiction often involves robots, futuristic modes of transportation, etc. (i.e., Star Wars)

Julie: congratulations on receiving a personal letter from the publisher. That almost never happens. The fact that she took the time to do that means your writing is very good. I would weigh each of her suggestions, and if you agree with them, revise it and definitely send it to her again, with a cover letter thanking her for the suggestions and stating that you made those revisions. It couldn't hurt!
As to why she didn't return the manuscript... did you send her a self addressed, stamped envelope?
I agree that the picture book market is very small. I don't know how it compares between Australia and the U.S.

Are there any readers out there who have some suggestions for Julie regarding the picture book market?

#72730 - 03/10/05 08:07 AM Re: The China Conspiracy
pmterrell Offline

Just a clarification on the above: when I said fantasy "can" involve no technology, the correct word should have been "might" involve no technology...

#72731 - 03/09/05 09:44 PM Re: The China Conspiracy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Julie, congrats. Keep on trucking girlfriend. You're almost there.

Trish, do you have an agent? If so, how did you acquire him/her?

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved