The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#71646 - 03/20/05 08:13 AM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
At the meeting the membership should require an income and expense statement backed up by cancelled checks, verified receipts, and deposit slips.
If a written budget was developed prior to the conference, the income and expenses should be analyzed for compliance. If not in compliance, the excess amounts should be justified and either approved or disapproved by the membership and/or board of directors. Then a plan for covering excess expenditures developed.
In the future, a written budget should be developed for any project and strict compliance should be required.
A policy manual should be written to require at least two signatures on checks and expenditures in excess of budgeted amounts except with approval of the membership and/or board of directors should be specifically prohibited.
Cash receipts should be counted in the presence of at least two people who should verify amounts in writing.

That is not to accuse anyone of theft, but to prevent accusations. There are many other financial and personnel safeguard policies that should be developed by any organization, but that's all I can think of now. (Everyone probably knows these things, but the way I know them is that I have directed several non-profits and I audited non-profits for the govt.)

Just some ideas for your meeting Chatty. You'll get them straightened out.
smile

#71647 - 03/20/05 04:13 PM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Smile, I appreciate the information. A lot of us know 'about' these things, but not the details - the nuts & bolts of the business. I'm always into learning. Thanks for sharing.

#71648 - 03/20/05 05:14 PM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Chatty, assessments are normally done way before the conference ever takes place so I'm baffled as to how they could have gone into the hole for that large amount. Attendance fees are collected in advance, so other than course materials (which should have been figured into the fee) what could they have possibly gone into the hole for? Especially to the tune of 5-7K?

If I were you and the rest of the members, I would want to see a breakdown of expenses, for sure. NO MISCELLANEOUS categories either. They are always there, but explanations with a separate breakout are given.

I would be interested in hearing how this comes out. I've hosted about 5 conferences in the past and accountability by all involved is always at the forefront. Or should be! I think it helps things run smoothly.

JJ

#71649 - 03/20/05 05:45 PM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Are you having another conference anytime soon, JJ? I haven't been to 'Bama in a long time. Give me an excuse....<grin>

#71650 - 03/20/05 06:08 PM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Thank the good Lord no. Not that kind anyway. It was called a "Combined User's Conference" and was training to show people how to use the software we developed (read WE = government via my company). Talk about a snoozer...

But I AM checking into having a WRITER'S CONFERENCE in my area. Now we're talkin'!

I'll let you know if that happens! JJ

#71651 - 03/20/05 06:14 PM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

p.s. If not a writer's conference, a BOOK FESTIVAL. Either one. I'm waiting to get a reply from some folks in this area. Huntsville is a big place and has much to offer. We have Constitution Hall Park, Spring Park (where Jessie James robbed a bank and then jumped over into the waterfall which is still here!) and Redstone Arsenal and the Space and Rocket Center...golf running out the kazoo for anyone interested (Robert Trent Jones Golf trail) and loads of other things. We have a wonderful Convention Center and the rates for hotels and eating in this area are low compared to most big towns. Oh and also, 60 miles down the road is Helen Keller's birthplace and the Music Hall of Fame where Percy Sledge, the Rolling Stones, Beatles, and many many others recorded all of their music. So, there is a lot to see and do here. The town is not too big (like Birmingham) and not to small.

So hopefully, I can get someone's attention. We'll see.

JJ

[ March 20, 2005, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: jawjaw ]

#71652 - 03/20/05 07:45 PM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
smilinize Offline

JJ, I am on the planning committee for a book festival for out state's centennial. It will be May 21 this year at one of our universties.
There will be published authors speaking, booths for various orgganizations, workshops, a film festival, writing contests, story tellers, puppets and events for children.

We started last year with a $25k centennial grant which was matched a friend with lots of money (she just gave $13 million to the university). Her husband is a sort of publisher so there won't be many publishers present and no agents, but lots of writers and books.

It was a lot of fun last year. Dan and I took my puppets and he had never done anything like that before, but was hilarious as a book worm. However, publicity was non-existent and attendance was low. This year, I insisted on a publicity committee and hopefully attendance will be better.

JJ, Maybe that will be around the time you're traveling and you can come. You might get ideas for a festival in your town.
Anyone else who wants to come is welcome also. I think booths are either $50 or $150 for writers and attendance is free.

smile

#71653 - 03/21/05 02:25 AM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Smile is this in Oklahoma, you didn't say... [Confused]

#71654 - 03/21/05 02:45 AM Re: Ending Up in the hole!
smilinize Offline

Yes, Oklahoma City University. Sorry.
smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved