The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#55547 - 12/02/05 08:12 AM Call a tree a tree......
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I'll probably wish I hadn't asked this question, but what do you think of all this controversy over christmas tree vs. holiday tree? There was a thing on aol about a poll and you could vote. I did that, then I thought I might post in the conversation. I skipped that part. I only read about 4 or 5 posts. There are some nasty vicious mean spirited, not to mention bigoted people out there and did I say narrow minded. [Roll Eyes] Most of what I read should not be allowed on the Internet. I got out of there in a hurry.

For me -It's a Christmas tree. And the Easter bunny is the Easter bunny. I won't call him a holiday bunny and I won't buy holiday eggs either. [Mad]

Louisa

#55548 - 12/02/05 10:31 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
i'm with you, louisa! a christmas tree is a christmas tree is a christmas tree...

#55549 - 12/02/05 06:26 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
ladybug Offline

Oh my gosh, now they're trying to make our beloved Christmas tree politically correct! I haven't heard this one.

CHRISTMAS TREE, CHRISTMAS TREE, CHRISTMAS TREE!!!

#55550 - 12/02/05 06:55 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
What is happening to our country? This is awful. If they wanted to be correct, it's a pine tree of sorts but this is just plain scary.

#55551 - 12/03/05 08:40 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
NancyB Offline

Loc: Georgia Mountains
A Christmas tree is a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree! I think this entire politically correct b.s. has gone WAAAAAY too far; it's the tail wagging the dog. What's next? Are they going to start calling Jewish Menorahs "Holiday Candelabra"? We keep Christmas at our home!

#55552 - 12/03/05 08:49 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I think it's time that we take back our Christmas! Snatch it back out of the mouths of the politically correct. It's happening here, where the people in power are rejecting this "holiday tree" nonsense and declaring it to be "Christmas tree" and "Christmas holidays". We need to do the same.

#55553 - 12/02/05 09:53 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
ladybug Offline

We do EagleHeart but how do we do it? Where do we start, by telling the cashier (politely of course) that he or she may say Merry Christmas to us instead of Happy Holidays?

I even looked at the new Christmas cards I have to see if I had inadvertently purchased any that said such. I hadn't because they are a holy theme so I can breath a sigh of relief there. We should probably keep those kinds of cards though for those that they are appropriate for.

#55554 - 12/02/05 10:49 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Maybe we could get together here and write a story and submit it to a newspaper, church bulletin or magazine. Spread the word about 'Christmas' to the masses. Anyone?
chick

#55555 - 12/02/05 11:25 PM Re: Call a tree a tree......
MyangelinheavenEVE Offline

Loc: Sweetwater,TN
Ok I am a Conserative Christian Woman and I would like to say is this. The Tree is a Christmas Tree. The Season is made up of 5 different holidays in Decemember. So What I am getting is either if it's Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas at least the stores are saying stuff. AS far as the Christmas tree. Whatever the person celebrates that's how they should decorate it. It's thier own tree not the governments. Speaking of Christmas tree's. I have a Christmas Tree dish set I got last year from the Dollar Tree dollar store. I am planning on getting more this year.

#55556 - 12/03/05 12:22 AM Re: Call a tree a tree......
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
It's admittedly a tricky thing...I want and yearn for everyone to join in the joy of the season, whether it be the joy of Hannukah, the joy of the holiday season, or the joy of Christmas. As much as I believe in the Christian celebration, I also recognize the chance for more of the "unity of diversity" within the season. I'd like to say "the more the merrier", that whoever chooses to celebrate with us, welcome.

But not at the expense of what it means to me. I do welcome all celebration and expressions of joy (Happy Holidays is fine with me...like you say, at least they're recognizing that we're celebrating SOMETHING), but I want to retain my right to call everything I do and celebrate "Christmas" without feeling guilty, politically incorrect or offending anyone else. Again, unity in diversity. I don't ask anyone else to change the names of their celebrations or holy days...and I want the same courtesy/right extended to me. Ironically, I don't think it's the people of other belief systems who would deny us that right, it's the people who don't want to celebrate anything at all.

PS I absolutely don't mind if anyone else calls their own personal tree a holiday tree, a Hannukah tree, or a whatever tree...I just want to be able to call MY tree or a publicly displayed and decorated tree a Christmas tree without any fear of repercussion or social ostracization!

[ December 02, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved