The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36747 - 04/14/05 02:57 AM Re: gardening
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have beautiful compost from my ancient (21 years and counting) compost pile. The other day as I was digging in it I pulled out a shovel ful of squirmy gray rodents! EWWWWW! Worse, much worse than worms. In fact, I adore worms. Anyway, These things quickly escaped downward. They slithered! But I caught one and shoveled it into the wheelbarrow and showed it to the dog who ran off with it. But then later I realized that they were probably moles because they were tailless and blind -- helpful and friently critters -- and if they were baby rats I don't think they'd look like that.

#36748 - 04/14/05 04:46 AM Re: gardening
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
ICK....suddenly my worms aren't worth complaining about after that compost story DJ!!!!!

Dotsie I have a problem with bulbs in my gardens because all the moles, voles, squirrels, chipmunks, and other assorted critters dig them up in the winter for snacks! BUT I have had luck with allium and a few hyacinths. Mostly I have perennials though. I fill in around them with annuals every year.

#36749 - 04/14/05 06:07 PM Re: gardening
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, I've never laid stones. I have a simple pathway through my garden that simply lays on top of the mulch.

I think your little critters were moles. We have them on the side of the house with the stacked wood. Once you know what they are, they're adorable.

Don't smack me, but we've never had a compost pile. I'm afraid of rodents. Several years ago we had RATS under our shed. One of our babysitters called us one day to tell us she saw a big, fat rat creeping across our lawn when she was coming home at midnight. They fled from downtown when they redesigned the gardens. Because we have dumpsters at the church, school, office buildings, etc, they came running to our neighborhood. I FREAKED! That's my excuse for not having a compost pile. To this day, we still have our home and yard treated quarterly. I don't like bugs, and I hate rats!

#36750 - 04/14/05 11:42 PM Re: gardening
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dotsie
All the literature says that compost piles don't attract rats because there's no meat scraps in them. But who knows?

We drove by your garden today and were amazed at the helleborus! Everything looks really great over there.

#36751 - 04/15/05 02:00 AM Re: gardening
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was just gardening this afternoon. I planted stepables. So cute!

#36752 - 04/15/05 09:52 AM Re: gardening
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, I have a worm bin which is in a big plastic container in the garage. It's basically a compost heap but the worms eat the food scraps and make pest-resistant soil which is their castings. I give them coffee grounds and fruit/vegetable scraps. Almost no maintenance once it's set up.

#36753 - 04/16/05 03:46 AM Re: gardening
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Don't know why but all this talk about worms, rats and cute moles made me think about other inhabitants of this earth are made to live! YUK!! I thought, "but for the grace of GOD there go I." ....How fortunate we are to be humans...especially when you think of being used for someones dinner, or sprayed with bug repellent, stepped on or hunted or skinned for a belt, purse, shoes or a coat. Kind of makes all our problems shrink in comparison. Sorry, just me being maudlin today.... [Eek!]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved