The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 68 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26520 - 09/18/04 03:49 PM Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
or something like that.

Howdy, Boomer Sibs. Have y'all been playing nicely whilst I've been away?

It's been an incredible summer...first Russia then Alaska then influenza...each for more than 2 weeks.

Russia was *the* most incredible experience I've ever had! Outside of my family and a handful of very close friends, I have never been so welcomed, so loved, so petted, so accepted in my entire life. Russian women took me into their hearts and lives in a way that completely humbled me and changed my life in ways I don't even yet know. I've been asked to return and, God willing, will go back next summer. Through my fiber lists, I've asked women all over the world if they will send me a skein or two of natural fiber yarn to send to the Syktyvkar orphanage so the children can knit themselves warm socks for winter wear. The children are all either physically and/or mentally disabled but take pride in earning their keep. The boys tend vegetable gardens and the girls sew their clothes, curtains, bedspreads and knit socks, etc. Just one of many amazing places we visited.

Dave and I were supposed to meet up with the rest of our group at the Moscow airport upon our arrival. Our group didn't make it so, after waiting for 2 hours, Dave and I were found by the interpreter and van driver so we climbed in a van with them, one of whom spoke English, and we drove 5 hours to our first city. What a leap of faith! The first week it was just Dave and I and I had the responsibility of being key note speaker at *all* our meetings. Talk about trial by fire! But, that just added to an incredible trip and experience. So many stories, so many great people.

Alaska was wonderful but, never again, will I spend 8 days on a small boat. I had a great time but my legs are made for Mother Earth . I did learn to sea kayak; Dave and I went on short excursions several times. The most memorable was when I went up the creek, fortunately WITH a paddle . I was sitting in my kayak watching salmon swim and jump when I noticed movement and saw a LARGE > cinammon brown bear swimming in the creek. I decided to, slowly, carefully, start back paddling and exiting the creek. HE noticed my movement, stood on his hind feet, about 240 feet away, I could now see he was about 7 feet tall, and looked at me...expectantly, quizzically, with interest...surely NOT with hunger! Fear seized me, then panic. I began to hurridly back paddle and ran the &*&^%# boat aground! I think I was praying madly, at least I'm hoping the habit of a lifetime continued to serve me well! I got the boat off the shore, started to turn it around then got the blasted thing stuck on the *other* end! At this point, I chanced a peek at the bear and he's taking a step toward me. O DEAR GOD!!! I almost capsized the boat, realized that at some point during the last lifetime of a few seconds I had wet myself, probably smacked a salmon or two with the paddle whilst getting turned around...O DEAR GOD...PLEASE don't let me die slowly if at all, not here, not NOW!!! I turned the kayak around in the middle of the creek, headed out with my paddles flashing like helicopter blades. I couldn't/wouldn't chance another look to see *exactly* where the bear was so just prayed and paddled my way back to the sound. As I rounded the curve in the creek, I saw Dave sitting 500 feet away, watching/waiting for me. He said my eyes were like dinner plates and I was screaming in a LOUD whisper, "IS HE BEHIND ME? IS HE BEHIND ME?"

Back at the boat, everyone thought it was wonderful I'd seen a grizzly so close. I, however, didn't think it was so wonderful. *THAT* dear Boomer Sibs, is how people end up in the newspaper with photos of them as they recline in hospital beds...or caskets.

GOD was SO very good to me and I praise His name for keeping me safe even though I did a *very* stupid thing!

Our last day in Alaska I met 3 terrific Australian women who are traveling around the world. They were late 60's, early 70's and 75 years of age and will be gone from home for 3 months. Amazing! Unfortunately, one of them was just coming down with influenza which I picked up. Dave and I arrived home on a Monday at 2 a.m. and by Wednesday morning I had a full blown case of flu. That blasted stuff has hung on for 2.5 weeks and I'm just now feeling like I'll live .

So...what did I miss here? Bring me up to speed on the happenings of Boomerhood. You were thought of often and remembered in prayer when the Spirit nudged.

#26521 - 09/18/04 04:16 PM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Thist....I'm bent over laughing at the bear story....OMG! It's funny NOW. I'm so grateful God spared you. And I have to say that is the funny true-life account I've read in a long, long time! I can laugh at it knowing you are safe and sound, even though you have the nasty flu.

God's speed with your recover and I'm soooo glad you are back! I look forward to hearing more stories about Russia. I do wish we lived closer so I could drop in and hear more stories! And of course help you milk the horses or whatever it is you do on da farm. BIG, BIG, HUG!

JJ

#26522 - 09/19/04 07:32 AM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
Yikerdoodles!!!! You were a little too close for comfort!! I was just wondering where you were.

What group were you supposed to be traveling with in Russia? And what did you speak on?

Glad you are home, at least I know when I travel I am sooo glad to be back home again.

Hugs,
Lala

#26523 - 09/19/04 07:57 AM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills

Well JJ...now that I'm back in VA I can laugh as well . It was gut gripping while it was going on though! Thank God for Always; those folks deserve a medal but I'll just keep buying their products...until I need Depends.

Hi LaLa - our Russian group numbered 7, and each of us had our own "area" of expertise. We had a teacher, couple of college administrators, geologist, Dave was the economics guy and I was the tourism expert. My talks centered around ag/rural, cultural and heritage tourism in the Appalachias and on Thistle Cove Farm. I'm not involved in helping to develope eco and adventure tourism in north Russia.

We had 4 days between Russia and Alaska...used those 4 days to breath. It's SO good to be home!

#26524 - 09/18/04 08:12 PM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ms Sandra,
When you get your home legs back again, please share some stories with us about what you saw, what the culture was like, and what you hope to accomplish next trip...which, by the way, I'm sure you will need a traveling companion, am I right? Well girl...it just so happens I'm free that date (when ever it is)...k?

Hugs,

JJ

#26525 - 09/18/04 10:29 PM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle, so glad you are home SAFE and sound!
I know you were totally freaked out, but there's nothing better than hearing women at our age being adventurous and courageous. You go girl. I bet you're still doing these trip in your 70's and 80's. [Big Grin]

For the last time...please tell us hwo the trip to Russia started, and how it's become your mission. I find it so interesting.

#26526 - 09/19/04 04:34 AM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills

I'd rather be doing something interesting in my 80's and 90's than talking about doing something interesting. HaHa! We don't grow old because we get older; we grow old because we stop being interesting people. At least that's my take on the subject.

Russia - I was asked to go as a consultant in ag/rural, cultural and heritage tourism. Specifically in the areas of southern Appalachia and Thistle Cove Farm. I was supposed to be part of a group of people, all of whom had their own areas of specialty, but the main focus of the trip was (1) tourism and (2) to sign agreement papers making the Komi Republic and West Virginia sister states. You've heard of sister city programs...right? Sister states is a, relative, new political agreement. I think there might be one or two other states who have negotiated the political waters in order to accomplish sister state agreements w/other locales in other countries.

The Komi Republic is in north Russia, about 800 km's north of Moscow. The northern part of the Komi Republic is in the Artic Circle and the eastern part is in Siberia. While we were there, daylight lasted about 20 hours each day and we were there a month after June 21st.

Dave and I flew to Russia by ourselves, with the intention of meeting the rest of our group at the airport. They had gone a week earlier and were visiting folks in Armenia but they had visa problems and it took them a week and an extra $2500 to get visas into Russia. So...for that first week, I was the only person holding meetings, meeting the politicos ...Governors, Deputy Mayors, other government officials, small business owners, NGO's, students, etc..... Pretty exciting actually .

I went as part of a program through the US State Department and the Center for International Understanding. Before we left Russia, we had to go to the US Embassy and give reports on what we'd done, who we'd seen, what we'd talked about, etc. That was major cool! I've never been in an embassy before and to visit the US Embassy in Russia...waaaaaaayyyyyy coooooollllll! But then I'm a hick and very easily impressed .

My undergraduate work is in Recreation, Parks and Tourism and I utilize tourism on the farm to increase farm income. I've worked as a volunteer for the local and regional tourism authoritism; am a speaker for state government conferences/workshops; hold classes at fiber festivals on 'how to make your farm work', etc.

I'm not curing cancer but I am helping people earn money and be productive; especially people who want to stay on the farm. I'm doing my part to help the people of two countries learn that neither of us are all bad nor all good...we are people who love our families and our friends, who have homes and pets and jobs...we're just people...all of us.

While in Russia we visited many businesses, many local governments, the tourism academy...one of the places we visited was an orphanage in Syktyvkar, Komi Republic. After we had been given a 2 hour tour, met many lovely children and seen what a tremendous job Natalia K. is doing with them, she presented me with some delicate crochet work the girls had made. Her gift took me so by surprise, I broke down and sobbed like a baby. Natalia and her co-workers surrounded me and covered me with their words while they petted my arms, my head, my back.

They have so little and they love so much. It was a humbling experience and I'm grateful.

So...that's why I'm gathering natural fiber yarn to send to the girls. The girls are 8 to 15 or thereabouts..at least the girls who do the knitting...the older girls are learning jobs such as computer skills which will allow them to enter the workforce when they are 25 and leave the orphanage. Some yarn and knitting needles and knowing someone loves them enough to do this will mean the world to them. All over the world people are sending me yarn and knitting needles...so much kindness from so many people who reach out from their hearts.

And, I just found out a few minutes ago, a friend in Pensacola, FL has lost everything except her husband, daughter, son and dog. They have nothing except their automobile and a few clothes, their house was demolished. Their son is autistic and they do have his meds but little else. A wonderful woman in NC is pulling together donations to put Deborah and her family back on their feet so we'll be able to help there as well.

I tell you this...I know there are evil, wicked women in this old world but I also believe if some of the good, kind, generous women I know ruled the world, we'd be a lot better off.

Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

To let the rest of us stand in the gap and be God with clothes on for good people to whom bad things happen!

I get so discouraged at times. Sometimes I get so discouraged reading the stories on these forums but then I remember...all I have to do is my little part. God will bring someone else to do their little part and somehow, someway His work will be accomplished.

I truly believe.

#26527 - 09/19/04 05:06 PM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle Cove Farm:

I tell you this...I know there are evil, wicked women in this old world but I also believe if some of the good, kind, generous women I know ruled the world, we'd be a lot better off.

Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

To let the rest of us stand in the gap and be God with clothes on for good people to whom bad things happen!

I get so discouraged at times. Sometimes I get so discouraged reading the stories on these forums but then I remember...all I have to do is my little part. God will bring someone else to do their little part and somehow, someway His work will be accomplished.

I truly believe.

Thistle, gosh it's good to have you back. Your spirit is a blessing for all.

So much in one post. I'm proud to have you as our American ambassador of goodwill. [Wink]

Would you have these opportunities if you hadn't left the corporate world and bought your farm?

I'm sure you're amazed at how God is using your past to assist your current endeavors. It's mind boggling to reflect and see how God was preparing you for this in college.

I'll e-mail you about yarn and your Florida friends. [Wink]

#26528 - 09/19/04 11:56 PM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I'm glad I stopped by long enough to read this post today. Your words of wisdom were just what I needed [Smile]

(also enjoyed the bear story [Big Grin] )

#26529 - 09/20/04 12:15 AM Re: Yoo-hoo...home is the hunter, home from the hills
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Lewis Grizzard says "There ain't no such thang as Toliet Paper in Russia."

Well?

JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved