The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 94 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#24943 - 07/07/05 07:14 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Teresa, I have a knack for that kind of thing. One time when our mortgage papers were ready I noticed all kinds of typos. I do wish I could put my editing and proof reading skills to work for pay. I especially have fun when listening to well-paid TV news anchors read their prompts which have grammatical errors. I joined Toastmasters and gave my first speech. During the speech I said, "My husband and I moved to Colorado." The grammar coach corrected me, saying I should have said "My husband and me!" I didn't say anything to her; I just gritted my teeth. Anyway, I'm glad to see that what I commented on your site was helpful to you. Love and Light, Lynn

#24944 - 07/07/05 07:17 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
Princess Lenora Offline

One more thing, Teresa: for every perpetrator of SA and DV that is in jail, there are 10 who aren't yet belong there. Hey, maybe you and I can do a co-book signing in October during Domestic Violence Awareness month. My parents live in Chandler and I have friends in Gilbert, and I know my way around Sky Harbor. Dianne of this site has a book that takes place in Phoenix too. Oh, you already know that. LLL

#24945 - 07/07/05 07:41 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
The Power of Addicted Lov Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Hi Lynn!

Your email made me smile.......we are our own worst critics. I am sure I have said "my husband and I" a thousand times......but your right, the corrected way is "my husband and me".

A co-book signing in October sounds like alot of fun! Actually.......speaking of book signings, since I am new to this, I obviously have never done a book signing before.....so can you or anyone else shed some light as to how these work? Do you personally contact Barnes n Nobles, Borders, etc? Or do you have someone else contact them?

How many books do you bring with you.....and do you need to supply your own tables, etc.

I think I will call the district office and go to another author's book signing. Perhaps I can watch what they do, etc.

Teresa

#24946 - 07/07/05 08:28 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Welcome Power of Addicted Love.

Lynn, I'm gritting my teeth reading about your ignoramus "grammar coach", who wouldn't know correct grammatical usage if she tripped into a 10' pile of it. If that happened to me, I would've stood up and started a 2-hour lecture on grammar, because, frankly, she's doing everyone in that group a disservice when she dispenses blatantly incorrect information. Then, of course, someone would've appointed ME as the grammar coach, which in 20/20 hindsight is probably a good reason for you to have not spoken up.

#24947 - 07/08/05 07:05 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, good to see you. How's the jewelry business?

Lynn, when was your first speech? I'd love to hear more about it.

#24948 - 07/08/05 07:59 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
Princess Lenora Offline

Okay, to set the grammar straight, the proper use is "My husband and I moved to Colorado." Take away "my husband" and you have "I moved to Colorado." You wouldn't say, "Me moved to Colorado" unless you were 4 years old. The grammar coach had me doubting myself so I went to the library to check the grammar reference books. My bible for grammar is "The Elements of Grammar" by Strunk and White, but it's packed in a box during our wait to move into our house. Oh, the grammar coach did not have a grammar reference book on hand. I should have asked, "What is your source for that mis-correction?" Dotsie, the first speech was a couple of weeks ago. It was called an "Ice Breaker." I won the blue ribbon for best speech of the day! The evaluator (not the grammar coach) asked me why I thought I needed Toastmasters. If only they could read my nerves during the speech. I like having the practice, which helps me between "big" speeches/presentations. Teresa, I'm thinking you might want to post your question about signings in the women's writing forum because I'm sure others would like to read and respond. Book signing is certainly a topic in its own right, don't you think? And yes, I do have some ideas. Love and Light, Lynn

#24949 - 07/08/05 07:26 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
JoniGolden Offline

Loc: Farmington, Michigan
At last...people who take grammar seriously. [Smile]

I, too, was impressed by the snippet of your book and can see some of myself in what you've been through. I was married for 10 years to an alcoholic who didn't drink - which is just all the behaviors without the brief respite of unconsciousness - and three years ago found a whole new life and happiness with a wonderful, creative and inspiring man. I'm so glad you're sharing your story, it helped me a lot to read the stories of women who had been through tough times and come out on the other side. It takes a lot of energy to write, publish and promote a book, but it is so worth the effort when you have something meaningful to say.

Good luck with the distribution phase!

Joni

#24950 - 07/08/05 07:56 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com

Hi Meredith

I just checked out your website.......your jewelry is absolutely beautiful! Do you make it yourself?

I wish I had talented hands like that! I can't even grow my fingernails too long because they get stuck in the keyboard. Ughhh

#24951 - 07/08/05 07:59 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com

Thanks JoniGolden!

Here's to hoping that my story will inspire others to get themselves out of a bad situation.

Also, thanks Lynn for the advice. I will post in the Women's author regarding the book signing question.

Teresa :-)

#24952 - 07/08/05 09:28 AM Re: www. thepowerofaddictedlove. com
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Thanks TPOAL,

Thank you! [Smile] I make all the finished products myself (no, I don't carve the beads.) I can't grow nails at all because the work I do breaks them and they're not that strong to begin with. [Frown]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved