The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 92 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#21182 - 06/12/06 05:16 AM Re: The End?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Me neither!!!! SCARY!

Please check out my website and sign my guest book.
Don't you just love this site?!

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly
www.talk2bev.com
Author, WHATEVER! A baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age

#21183 - 06/13/06 01:39 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Stick around you two because I'm experimenting with various things to releave the sweats.......... and when I find it!??!...... I'll let you know!

#21184 - 06/13/06 02:02 AM Re: The End?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Oh Flossie...
Can you hurry up?! [Smile] The only good thing about a hot flash is when I'm at the gym, the sweat and heat all seems to mix together with the strenuous workout so it's not as noticeable!

Beverly
www.talk2bev.com

#21185 - 06/13/06 06:05 PM Re: The End?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
What worked for me when I had my flashes for a couple of years was a Chinese patent medicine called Da Bu Yin Wan - I noticed an effect within 3 days! I took them on and off over a two year period, as needed. American ginseng is good too, as it builds vitality, plus it is a cooling and moistening form of ginseng(the regular panax it too heating - you don't want that right now). This is a whole lot better and healthier than going the hormone route, IMO. Your mileage may vary on this one, but looking into traditional Chinese medicine might be a good idea, as they have a long track record with dealing with women's conditions. If your condition is more severe than what a patent herbal formula would address, the acupuncturist will prescribe a custom formula of a bag of herbs to cooked up by you at home. This is the strongest form of the herbal medicine! Often, the drink looks and tastes exactly like mud-water, but trust me, these are good things(had this type of stuff for flu)! Acupuncture treatments, and especially the herbal formulas will really help balance out the body and improve one's general health and vitality. Plus in TCM the whole attitude towards women is different, not the patronizing one so commonly found in Western(esp. male doctors)medicine.
I haven't had experience with this, but supposedly Western herbs like black cohosh, etc. are good too.
A few Chinese dietary tips to reduce the dehydrating heat one has going on with hot flashes, is to either cut out(or seriously limit) the heating, drying culprits like coffee, hot spicy food(if that seems to aggravate your symptoms - if it doesn't and you like hot spicy then by all means keep it). Alot of meat(esp. red), sugar and alcohol make hot flashes worse too. The presence of these last three in the diet over a long period of time leading up to menopause almost guarantee extreme menopausal symptoms. As far as the meat(unless organic or wild), the presence of all sorts of antibiotics and hormones in it have something to do with it, and not in a good way either! So the Chinese indicate the dietary antidote(along with an appropriate herbal formula)is moistening, cooling foods - this a good time to get in alot more raw produce(both fruits and veggies)into the diet if it is not there already. Load up on those meal-in-a-bowl salads, with the emphasis on the greens, and a nutritious, homemade dressing. Simple soyfoods like tempeh and tofu are good too, better than taking the so-called soy supplements, which can be unbalancing. Cooling drinks like lemon or lime ice water are good, too, especially with summer right upon us, and very alkalizing, so much better and way cheaper than soda(avoid that stuff like the plague!)If you do some research on the web about Chinese medicine and diet most likely you'll be able to find lists of foods that are cooling and moistening.
Second, exercise, exercise, and exercise - this has to be part of your day. Strength training, Ashtanga yoga(very active, powerful, strengthening form of yoga that can have a HUGE effect on balancing hormones as one of its positive effects), and of course cardio of some sort.
Last but not least, ongoing stress will certainly make hot flashes worse, so anything you can do for "stress-busters" is especially indicated, like yoga, meditation, inner spiritual work.
If you do implement a several-pronged approach, the hot flashes will be safely addressed, and you can seriously improve your overall health in the process!
Hope this all helps!

#21186 - 06/13/06 10:45 PM Re: The End?
FitlySpoken Offline

Loc: US
What a great bunch of Ladies we have here and the replies are trememdous.

Being smack right in the middle of menopause ... or hopfully nearing its ending binge ... I have really found all your comments and suggestions of great help and relief.

Thank you all so much. AND, in the mist of all this ... we can continue to be vital and vibrant women too!

#21187 - 06/15/06 01:04 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Once again Cara4art......great info in that post. I know where there is a Chinese medicine shop so might go looking for that Da Bu Yin Wan and try that. I'm not liking the hormone cream!

Have you heard of Maca? I've seen it mentioned a few times on this site as being good for hot flashes?

#21188 - 06/27/06 01:35 AM Re: The End?
suze Offline

Loc: UK
quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
LAdies, look at the home page and there is a free test you can order to see where you are with perimenopause and menopause. I ordered mine. I just keep forgetting to do the test first thing in the morning.

hi

I cannot see where this is on the home page .. is it possible to post a direct link in this thread?

#21189 - 06/27/06 02:10 AM Re: The End?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
If you go to www.boomerwomenspeak.com, then scroll down, it's in the middle of the page. It shows a box titled "moments" with a smiling woman (she must not be in menopause!) and there is a link underneath that will take you to that site.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved