The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#21160 - 05/26/06 11:51 PM Re: The End?
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'm 58 1/2, stopped having periods over 6 years now. I was on synthetic hormone replacement for 7 (7ish) years. Went off when the panic set off by the bad results of the Nurses study. I thought I was over the worse part - but with no HRT the symtoms returned twice as bad. I stuck it out for about a year then tried bioidentical HRT. The brain fog was the hardest part for me. I honestly thought I was losing my mind - stumbling over every sentence...

I love the bioidentical HRT - although it is a bit of a hassle. I work with a compounding pharmacy which I pay out of pocket, then I submit to my insurance - which only pays for certain things. But, as I have said before - this aging stuff isn't for sissies.

I know that certain things affect the hot flashes: caffine and too much chocolate!! I have gotten away from my routine exercise since we have been in the processing of moving - but DH bought me a new VCR/DVD for my basement workout room and I'm ready to get back at it next week. Exercise is crucial in keeping me flexible, and my bones stong - also - along with the fact that it keeps me sane. DH especially likes that part.

I suppose technically for me it's over. I think our generation is never going to sit back like our grandmothers and just get old. I think we will always think of ourselves as "The 60's generation" and getting old aint workin for us.

#21161 - 05/27/06 02:56 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Boomer sisters.....hey browser, I have the dvd with my gym gear, best way to do a workout routine IMHO! And not a truer word was spoken "This aging stuff isn't for sissies"....it sucks doesn't it!

And Cara4art, I too followed a healthy lifestyle for many years, yoga, natural diet, etc....although unlike you I still feel I need the wine! But I'm afraid I was forced into menopause having had a total hysterectomy 5 months ago....at 51, I was still having regular but slightly heavier periods. All the natural stuff hasn't stopped me from the hot sweats yet, but I'm hoping the natural progesterone cream will do the trick eventually.

My mother too died of cancer, but my mother was in her 60s. Not a pleasant experience to watch a disease take someone away.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts.

#21163 - 05/27/06 03:47 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

Anne, is this because you haven't been without a period for an entire year??

They all say you are in menopause when you don't have a period for a whole year, but sometimes that's when the sweats and things can get worse. I had regular periods until almost 52 when I had a hysterectomy, now my body is in menopause I am now not getting any period (of course!!!) but I have the darned sweats something terrible. Forgive me repeating myself here....but I find everyones experiences very interesting.

My sister in law stopped getting her periods in her forties and no symptoms.....they just stopped, whammo....nothing more! Zippo!! And some others on the site have experienced something similar.

Speaking of books, has anyone read:

http://www.thebodyblues.com/

I've just picked it up from my library.....only a ¼ way through it but it's very good.

#21165 - 05/28/06 07:36 AM Re: The End?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I went to the web site but I've never read the book. have you? If so, mind telling us about it?

#21166 - 05/29/06 01:12 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

Just getting into the book at the moment, you know these sorts of books.....lots of info and heavy reading to begin with before they get into the programme!

At the moment I'm reading about the biology of the body blues. Will let you know more when I get to the Levitiy programme. The place I got my Serenity Cream from has Levitiy vitamins and such.

I'll keep you posted.

#21167 - 05/29/06 02:29 AM Re: The End?
Pam R. Offline

Girls, I just turned 58, didn't have a period for 14 months and then BOOM...had one last December (Merry Christmas!). My GYN freaked out and did the whole magilla of testing - that awful edometrial biopsy, where you want to jump off the table, an ultrasound, the CA125 blood test for ovarian cancer. Thank God, all were fine. His explanation was that I had a "surge of estrogen" which caused me to have a period (and a regular one I might add). So much for the "one year" thing of being into full menopause. Guess I am back into that peri-menopause stage. These flashes are much worse the past month and I don't have a clue why. I eat and drink NO CAFFEINE for the past 3 years and exercise regularly. Hormone therapy is out for me since my heart attack 2 1/2 years ago. The GYN tells me there is an end in sight, but he never says when!! That fan and my A/C are my best friends. Hey, whatever works!!

#21168 - 05/31/06 12:58 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

Pam, poor you! And that biopsy....ghastly isn't it!

Did you get another period since that Christmas one?

#21169 - 05/31/06 07:10 AM Re: The End?
Pam R. Offline

No Flossie, no period since this past Christmas. No signs of any either,but those flashes are worse than ever. I really just bear with it and hope it will be over soon!

#21170 - 05/31/06 02:10 PM Re: The End?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, you have a few more months before you are considered in menopause. I've read it takes a year to get through. I've also heard that some women get another period after many months and then have to begin counting months again.

Do you take anything to help with the hot flashes?

#21171 - 06/06/06 02:33 AM Re: The End?
flossie Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
I went to the web site but I've never read the book. have you? If so, mind telling us about it?

Dotsie, I finished the book, 'When Your Body Gets the Blues' is about a program called the Levitiy Program. They say to beat the blues we need sunlight, (well just lots of light in general) 20 minutes of walking per day and vitamins all included in a Levitiy B Formula. (or of course you can get them separately) The formula contains Vit B¹,B²,B6, folic acid, Vit D³, and selenium.

Three easy steps and you can beat your bodies blues. All sounds rather simple! I'm going to try the B formula, and I do walk daily, as for getting sunlight....well being winter there's not too much of that here at the moment!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved