The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#20306 - 03/18/05 03:38 AM Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Women of certain age, we know who we are this is for us......Is it hot in here, or is it me? For my friends who are always asking this question get yourself some EMERITA'S COOLING COMFORT MIST, [Big Grin] a side effect free, hot flash solution containing witch hazel, peppermint, menthol and lemon. Spritz it on at the first sign of a flush. [Frown]
Hint: Keep it on your nightstand and ladies this stuff really works.... [Wink]

#20307 - 03/18/05 03:44 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Do you have anything to make warm, Chatty? I'm always cold. Wish I could stand next to some of these ladies with the flashes. Maybe I could enjoy some of the 'radiant' heat they emit. Dang, will Spring never come....I AM FREEZING!

#20308 - 03/18/05 03:56 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

One way to help stay warm is to always wear thick warm bobby socks. Also and this may sound odd but 75% of the heat of our body goes out through the top of our heads, try wearing a cute knit barret or cap and see if it doesn't help alittle... [Smile]

#20309 - 03/18/05 04:38 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Where do we find the cooling mist?

I also have a reaction to my MS medication from time to time and one of the results is a long hot flash along with an arithmic heartbeat. But maybe the cooling mist would make me more comfortable while I am waitng for my heart to settle down.

Lynn

#20310 - 03/18/05 05:01 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Should be available at your local department or drug stores....Call around, save gas! [Wink]

#20311 - 03/18/05 07:52 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have a new term for hot flash: My personal summer. Sounds better.

#20312 - 03/19/05 08:56 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Chatty, you're right about the socks. I wear them all the time and I stay much warmer.

Hot flashes? Yep, get them occasionally. They have horrible timing. Did you ever notice whether you get more in the summer or the winter?

#20313 - 03/19/05 03:57 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have personlly never had a hot flash or else they all happened in June, July or August where its 100 and something every minute here in Vegas. I got the info on nthe mist fronm somemof the women in my writers group who are experiencing the Boomer boogie now. I am done with Menopause I think. [Roll Eyes]

#20314 - 03/23/05 09:45 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hot Flashes? You bet and they are driving me crazy. I thought I was too young for this (45) but the flashes keep on coming. I did a google search for EMERITA'S COOLING COMFORT MIST and a few sites had it. I have been taking Estroven and it is not doing anything. I have terrible insomnia which has gotten much worse due to the nightly sweats,its horrible.

#20315 - 03/24/05 09:13 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I take a low dose of the birth control pill and it helps with all the peri-menopausal symptoms.

#20316 - 10/28/05 05:27 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Mer Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
I am always much warmer than other people. Used to be I was as cold as everyone else. This is a plus in the Fall and Winter. One way to look at it! I wear short sleeves all winter and have my hair up. I also have a cute little pink fan with a smiley face on it on my desk that I call my "hot flash fan." I turn it on and off all day at work as needed. I look around and see everyone else in sweaters, meanwhile mine sit in the closet not getting used. Summertime clearance racks in the Fall are my best friend! Mer

#20317 - 10/28/05 05:57 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mer, I can just picture you there with your little pink fan. Whatever works!

#20318 - 10/29/05 02:59 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Mer, I'm Flushing, Fanning, Freezing, all in a 30 second span. My little chinese paper fan is my saviour.
My sleeping habits changed drastically last week. I normally would go to bed around 10ish and out like a light.( all my life! )
Now it's 10's in the morning...and that's for a nap. I can't sleep. I am beginning to wear down from the upheaval. My seratonin is royally screwed up.
chick

#20319 - 10/29/05 05:38 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
"I'm somewhere between estrogen and DEATH!" --Erma Bombeck

Some days it feels so true!

#20320 - 10/29/05 06:32 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#20321 - 10/30/05 07:41 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
wtcoach Offline

Loc: New York City
I have started taking Evening of Primrose Oil for hot flashes and seems to be helping. I take 1 pill with each meal.

#20322 - 10/30/05 09:15 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dreamer Offline

I'm so glad I read this topic tonight - it is 12:17 a.m. and I cannot sleep. I've been getting 3-4 hours of sleep each night for about 3 years. Once in a while I sleep longer, but not often. I get up and read or get on the computer - then go back to bed and sleep for an hour - then another hot flash and I'm wide awake! The worst ones are when other people are around - my face literally drips and I'm constantly trying to discreetly mop it with a kleenex - men are so lucky! I do notice it much more in the summer - thanks for the tip, Chatty Lady - I'm going to find some of that spray!

Does anyone else have trouble with the majority of the heat in your face?

#20323 - 10/30/05 01:53 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

Ah, yes. It is 2:45 and I have been awakened by yet another hot flash. Thank God I have this place to come to and kill some time. At least It's not lonely sitting up in the night. I'm not a TV person.

Heat in the face for me too Dreamer but not dripping or red looking. My fan helps. I just want to sleeeep.
Evening of primrose? In pill form? Tell me more wtcoach. And Welcome by the way.
I am having a "woe is me" feeling...that's not usually me. Or is it? Can't decide, ha ha.
I think there is a fine line between being menopausal and being half nuts. (In my case anyway)
Hang in menopausalers. There's better days, er nights ahead!
I have a question. Do any of you think your PMS symptoms are any indication of how bad your menopause will be(is)?

chick

[ October 30, 2005, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#20324 - 10/30/05 07:23 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chick, I was awakened three times last night by hot flashes. If I had known, I would have called you!

Crazy thing is, I never get them except near the end of the week that I am taking the Pill blanks. I can't imagine what my symptoms would be like if I wasn't on the pill.

PMS and menopause? I don't know about that. Good question.

#20325 - 10/30/05 07:44 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

Oh Dreamer I can't even imagine 3-4 hours sleep for the last three 3 years. My lack of sleep has been for the last 8 months or so.
Fast walk, every night about 7p.m. for 30 minutes, take a hot bath, read until 11 and lights out. Normally I'm back up at 2, for the bathroom walk. [Roll Eyes]

Back to bed..if I'm lucky I will fall asleep for another 3 hours if not...thats it. Toss and turn, too many people in the house to move about. If, I leave the bedroom, the girls start barking...then everybody in the house is up. [Eek!]

Here lately if I haven't had sleep in a couple of days, I will take the OTC sleep pill with out the tylenol 25 mg. dose.
Not sure if the glow in the dark feeling wakes me up (hot flash), or if it's just the routine of hitting the bathroom at the same hour every night.

Chick, my eratic PMS symptoms were just awful.. I went no where without a bag of pads. Flooding was unbelivable, not 30 minutes went by without a change. Frantic feelings came over me, hence your feeling of fine line. At the time I had no clue as to what was happening to me. Cramps over the top feelings, crying...

My mom and I never got around to this talk, always heard about menopause but, never in my wildest dreams would have thought this!
Menopause talk seems to be a taboo to alot of women. Not sure why.
It does help to know we are not the only ones. It's soothing to know others are feeling and going thru the exact same symptoms.

Read, where some ladies state the meno thing only lasting a couple of years, or sometimes ten years, then some with no symptoms at all. Most days it feels like my body has been wrung of every hormone it has ever held, and then squeezed again just to make sure none are left.
No symptoms at all...does not apply to me.

One day at a time...

#20326 - 10/31/05 08:41 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Yepthatsme,
You might try fast walking in the morning and slow strolling at night. I was a lifetime walker until lately and subscribed to several walking magazines.
Most authorities agreed that fast walking stimulates metabolism which can keep you awake if done at night whereas a slow stroll can be relaxing.
Fast walking in the morning gave me energy for the whole day and kind of organized my mind, but it kept me awake or awakened me if I did it at night whereas slow strolling relaxed me and I would be tired enough to sleep.
Might be worth a try.
smile

#20327 - 10/30/05 11:10 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

Thanks...I'll give that a try!

#20328 - 10/31/05 12:11 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

Hi smile, sooo nice to see you here. You've been busy? The walking thing...I am afraid of Dogs. I tried the mall but spent to much money (window shopping). Slept from 9:30 am til 11:00 today. Up all night..zzzzz
chick

#20329 - 10/31/05 04:52 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

A good strong cup of chamomille tea helps me relax and sleep at night and the stroll thing via Smile is also great. Another thing is drink the tea while relaxing in a lavendar filled warm (not hot) tub.... Yawn, oh my I'm making myself sleepy!!! [Embarrassed]

#20330 - 10/31/05 05:52 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

Tried walking in the mall the other night...it was going real well, sliding in and out of people steady pacing with no mishaps. Problem is like chick, I was looking in all the store windows, thinking gee look at that, I need that to go with... Haven't been there in awhile, they have alot of new stores, and so many fabulous smells. My nose works much better since I stopped smoking. [Big Grin]

Barely made it past the window with all the pizza's lined up..cheese just dripping off the sides pepperoni, sausage oh... the smell was like something sent straight from heaven.

Worst part is, we parked on the side of the mall that leads out right past Wendy's...can you resist the Frosty's? I think not...

I cannot afford to be walking in the mall. To many distractions. [Razz]

#20331 - 10/31/05 05:55 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

By the way.... Chatty did you ever have any symptoms of menopause? Just curious....

#20332 - 10/31/05 06:47 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

.Gone to the mall.... [Roll Eyes]

Dotsie are you on the birth control pill for menopause? or another kind of pill? Oh, and you can call me anytime. [Big Grin]

chick

[ October 31, 2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#20333 - 10/31/05 06:54 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have to laugh at mall walking. The only time I've done it was in the middle of winter before the stores opened. Otherwise, I could have been distracted and spent too much money!

Chick, I explained my perimenopausal symptoms to my gyn and she put me on a low dose of the pill, Yasmin. I was only onthe pill for a period of two months in my life, so I hope I'm not hurting myself by taking it now for a few years.

#20334 - 10/31/05 09:06 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
I have been going thru menopause for about 15 years, at all different stages. Now, I'm at the REAL hot flashes, and I hate it. I can't take anything because of the breast cancer. I'm making an appt. to see a holistic doc to see if she can help with some "natural stuff." One thing I have noticed is just before I start to have a hot flash, I get kinda panicky, and my stomach gets flusters. Anyone have that symptom? I guess my brain is telling me, "Here it comes, and you're not going to like it."
I would just love to be able to wear a turtle neck sweater just one time!
Any kind of sweater without being HOT!
Lynne

#20335 - 10/31/05 09:14 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

All of this hardly seems fair...do men have babies? No. Do men have PMS? NO. Do men have menopause? NO.

Fifteen years..that should be against the law.
Longest I have read about was 10 ten years.
Pleaseee...tell me that was a typo.

One day at a time...could take a while.

#20336 - 11/01/05 01:07 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

No , No and NO. They don't have any thing like that to go through. I was waiting to hit 50 + so I could throw the sanitary products to Hell, thinking... No more headaches, No more flooding, No more PAIN, No more...Ax Murderer...feelings.

Now I find out it can go on for 10 to 15 YEARS!!!

I'm gone to drown myself in the bathtub...

chick

#20337 - 11/01/05 04:42 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

yepthatsme2, NOPE not one single bad thing happened to me, breezed through menopause with nary a notice. I did begin taking Wild Yam Root in capsule form the day my period was expected May 10,1990 and didn't come. The Indians use to use that to avoid symptoms and it seems to work. Never had another period and was happy to stop the hemmoraging I did for so many years,and was never as thrilled with anything as I was with menopause. I personally think a persons attitude about menopause and aging has alot to do with how it effects us....I made it my friend in all aspects of my life. [Big Grin]

[ October 31, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20338 - 11/01/05 07:42 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

After hearing that I will be racing down to the health food store in the morning for some Wild Yam Root.
How wonderful it worked out like that for you.
Your right my attitude about menopause isn't really positive right now. Friend is not what I'm calling it.
Appreciate your sharing!

#20339 - 11/01/05 08:12 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
wtcoach Offline

Chick - the evening of primrose oil comes in pill form. There are different potency levels, which I am confused about. I bought a new one at a higher level, but what I have been using seems to be making a big difference.

My doc also put me on Effexor, which is normally used for anti-depresant but it has also been proven to be 60% effect in controlling hot flashes. It helped cut down on my hot flashes and now the primrose oil seems to be taking care of the rest of it.

[ November 01, 2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: wtcoach ]

#20340 - 11/01/05 09:00 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
LSmith5434 Offline

Because of my breast cancer, I'm very cautious about what people say they take for their menopausal symptoms. I heard at one time anything with yams in it was not good because of hormones. Is this a myth? I've never heard of primrose oil. wtcoach....how did you hear about it? And yes....I've been putting up with this for 15 years at all different levels of "heat." I went thru a stage that I ruined the clothes I would wear because I would sweat so much. I didn't have "flashes." I would sweat all day! Now I'm having "flashes." And they are really hot!!!
Good luck to you all with your "flashes."
Lynne

#20341 - 11/01/05 09:13 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
wtcoach Offline

Evening of Primrose Oil is natural - it is similar to flaxseed oil and borage oil. The best thing is if you do a google search on it to get more info. Someone who is into natural health recommended it to me. I googled it myself and based on the info, decided to try it. Maybe you can ask your dr. if it is ok for you.

#20342 - 11/01/05 09:39 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My periods were so bad I used to dream about having a hysterectomy just to stop them. Horrible cramps and migraines.

However, I never had PMS and I never had a hot flash. My only menopausal side effect was becoming just a tad bit more... AAAHHH... voluptuous.

#20343 - 11/01/05 10:05 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
LSmith5434 Offline

wtcoach....thanks for the info...will ask the holistic doc when I can get an appt.
Lynne

#20344 - 11/01/05 06:59 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I take Evening of Primroe Oil for fibrous cystic disease. It helps keep the cysts away. My doctor recommends that and no caffeine.

#20345 - 11/03/05 03:26 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Meredith as if you needed to be more than you already were, whew!!!

I also take Evening Primrose oil in capsule form and have for years. I have an entire vitamin supplement plan I put together years ago after much trial and error and it works...NO - Yam is good for you either in pill form or eaten fresh. I am 65 and look 45, no wrinkes 'anywhere' and my hair is getting darker instead of the other way around, go figure....My only menopausal symptom is the hair on my chiny chin chin, a pain but at least its dark, not grey....

[ November 02, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20346 - 11/03/05 09:17 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
two things i found really helped: a very blah diet (no spicey foods, ex;mustard, mayonnaise etc. no oily foods, very little sugars) and cotton clothes. (i feel embarrassed posting so often, please forgive..)

#20347 - 11/03/05 11:23 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chatty, until 5 years ago I had ribs showing over my chest. Now I have cleavage [Wink]

plus a bigger butt, and the inevitable Boomer Belly [Roll Eyes]

At least it's all in proportion.

#20348 - 11/04/05 02:36 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Norma have at it honey and post, post post. I do and look where I rank in the posting arena...We have plenty of just readers, its posters we need.

#20349 - 11/04/05 11:16 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
Chatty..... thank you, i needed that at this moment because i am soooooo angry !!!!!!!!It has nothing to do with the menopause though, maybe i can say it on the site about Rosa Parks. On the other hand maybe it does have to do with the menopause, because i no longer have any tolerance for idiots. I blow up .thanks again Chatty.

#20350 - 11/05/05 06:00 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Whew you do sound upset. Think before you post in anger. Most things are simply a difference of opinion anyway and can't and won't be resolved by anyone here. I never had tolerance for what I perceived to be idiots either but then they probably have no tolerance for me as well. Tit for tat and all that. Cool down, take a deep breath and a stiff drink, works everytime...wink! [Roll Eyes]

#20351 - 11/05/05 10:50 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
i started using a nutritional supplement called RELIV to alleviate the synmptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. after about a year i was off both RX's i was on for the fm/cfs and the amazing side effect was that my hot flashes and night sweats stopped and have not returned. THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH - THE STUFF JUST WORKS. i can sell it but due to other things happening in my life have not tried to make it into a business. if you want to try it go to the RELIV site at http://www.reliv.com/ or contact me and i'll help you find a distributor near you.

#20352 - 11/15/05 06:06 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
ladybug Offline

flipperjo you may be on to something here that I need to try. It's 48 degrees outside tonite and I'm walking without a coat. If thermal tomography were tracking me it would see one, red, hot mama! I can just imagine how it will be in my parents villa in Florida. You know how older people hate "too much air conditioning?" Mom thinks it's pleasant at 80 degrees indoors.

#20353 - 11/16/05 03:32 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Nan Fitz Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I'm thinking this whole menopause thing is made worse by the fact that we have absolutely NO idea how long we get to put up with the symptoms. I cracked up when I heard that some company is now selling a MENOPAUSE MONITOR to tell me where I am in the timeline. What's it going to tell me? "In case you haven't noticed that last hot flash set your blouse on fire?" or maybe "If you choose to go the drug route, this might be the week!"

#20354 - 11/16/05 07:07 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
ladybug Offline

NanFitz, I cracked up about the blouse on fire. I totally stopped having a menstrual period about two years ago. The sweats were only unbearable the first two years and then tapered off. I keep my house very cold ALL year round. The heat is only mild now and maybe flares up once in awhile. Sometimes it "rages" when I'm on my walks but that only lasts a few minutes. I can take it. I'm 54 and trust me it does ease up.

#20355 - 11/17/05 01:45 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I saw a funny bumper sticker today:

I'm out of estrogen, but I have a gun.

#20356 - 11/17/05 06:09 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
ladybug Offline

That IS a great one!

#20357 - 12/03/05 10:08 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Granna Offline

Loc: Fort Mill, South Carolina
I have hot flashes a lot, but I use hormone cream and it really helps. You get it from the health food stores. My sister had breast cancer and I have to be careful with hormones. The cream is safer, I can't go on the walks, I have to use a walker to walk. I had brain aneurysm surgery about 4 years ago and it effects my walking. I am glad I found this site. Thanks for all the help. Thanks for just being there. Granna

#20358 - 12/03/05 05:01 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Welcome Granna,
We're glad you found us. If you want to, why not share more about your life with us eithe here, or you can go to the Welcome section and introduce yourself there. Your call. You can't be wrong either way. We don't have a wrong or right way here. Just your way.

Welcome!

JJ

#20359 - 12/03/05 05:25 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

Hi Granna, welcome to BWS, our little 'Haven on Earth'. You will enjoy it here. I'm new to the world of hot flashes and I don't care for it at all. I am not going to let it bother me. I figure we are the reason for global warming. [Eek!]
Welcome and tell us more about yourself, like JJ said.
chick

#20360 - 12/03/05 07:05 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TVC15 Offline

Welcome Granna,
Like Chick, I'm new to this whole hot flashy thing but have not been enjoying it much! And after reading through this thread and finding out it could go on for 15 years doesn't make it any more appealing.
I'm going to write down everyone's suggestions and give some of them a try.
Right now I'm trying the progesterone cream but have only just gotten started with it so I don't know if it will help with anything yet.

#20361 - 12/03/05 10:37 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Granna Offline

Loc: Fort Mill, South Carolina
Hi everyone, Thanks for being so wonderful. I am 48 years old, I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren, and hot flashes . . .I don't know if all the surgery's have effected me worse. I have a anxious feeling like I am going to jump out of my skin. I take Lexapro and Klonopin for that. I am fixing to go to the store and me and walking are not friends. I believe I embarress my children when they take me where I need to go. I am handicap and it is noticeable but God is healing me, I praise him everyday.
Granna

#20362 - 12/03/05 11:13 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

Welcome Granna,

Hear everyone talking about the progesterone cream, I might just have to try it.
Think we all have that anxious feeling from time to time...or at least I do. That and a number of other menopause symptoms. [Roll Eyes]
I sure hope it doesn't stick around 15 years...seems a bit much to me.

#20363 - 12/04/05 06:06 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TVC15 Offline

Yep,
I got mine from Danita.

#20364 - 12/04/05 06:37 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
LSmith5434 Offline

Granna........your feelings are very normal with menopause! I have the same feelings just before a hot flash. I asked my therapist if she knew if there was a connection and she couldn't tell me. Well.........read in a woman's magazine about all the symptoms, and the anxious and other feelings are part of menopause. Hope this helps you.
Lynne

#20365 - 12/04/05 07:15 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Granna thanks for the PM and hope I was of some help finding the product...it is suppose to work wonders.

#20366 - 12/04/05 09:36 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

TVC15...so is the cream working for you?
What kind of difference did you notice, how long did it take?
Anyone else use the cream? Or better yet anyone else use the cream who takes heart medicine?
Sounds like 20 questions here....sorry.

Had Chinese food last night, just reeked havoc with the hot flashes. Slept maybe, all of 2 hours.
I knew better too....

#20367 - 12/04/05 10:04 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Brenda,

I can get you an ingredient list to run by your doctor.

Danita

#20368 - 12/04/05 10:10 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TVC15 Offline

Yep,
I just got started and it takes a couple cycles before you know if it's working. I'll you know when I do!

#20369 - 12/04/05 10:58 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
yepthatsme2 Offline

Yes, the ingredient list would be great.
Thanks, for offering, Danita.

Waiting to hear TVC15...thanks!

#20370 - 12/05/05 04:24 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Vi Offline

I've heard it said that love is the one eternal thing in the universe. I'd like to add one more - menopause. After 13 years I'm still in it, yucky hot flashes, sleepless nights and all, although my period stopped 7 years ago.

We are through menopause when we run out of eggs. I must have one heck of a lot of the little suckers.

#20371 - 12/05/05 05:59 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TVC15 Offline

Vi, you made me laugh out loud!

#20372 - 12/06/05 05:02 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Vi Offline

I'm glad something good finally emerged from my defunct uterus and her friends.

#20373 - 12/07/05 09:28 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
mattie123 Offline

Loc: everywhere USA
Hi,
Regarding hot flashes which I refer to as power surges, I use Evian spray mist. It is plain, distilled water from the Alps (I have been to the lovely town). Used anytime under or over make-up- it keeps our skin moist and helps cool us off. I keep a bottle in every room so I don't forget to use it! Evian has a website, otherwise you can get it at high - end retail stores or by mail. It is not the same stuff as bottled Evian water but the same company.
Good luck,
Mattie

#20374 - 12/08/05 07:09 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mattie, I've never heard of that. I thought you were referring to the water. What's the difference? Do you know?

#20375 - 01/05/06 11:49 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
jen50 Offline

Loc: NC
quote:
Originally posted by chatty lady:
Women of certain age, we know who we are this is for us......Is it hot in here, or is it me? For my friends who are always asking this question get yourself some EMERITA'S COOLING COMFORT MIST, [Big Grin] a side effect free, hot flash solution containing witch hazel, peppermint, menthol and lemon. Spritz it on at the first sign of a flush. [Frown]
Hint: Keep it on your nightstand and ladies this stuff really works.... [Wink]

#20376 - 01/05/06 11:56 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
jen50 Offline

I found a cure-all, I have had all the symptoms of menopause, the depression, the nervousness, the hot flushes, the cognitive degeneration, sleeplessness, crying; and mine aren't even as bad as I have heard. I tried a lot of things, first the pill, then phytoestrogens and finally I have found something that day one I took to, Soy milk.

The change is unbelievable by day 4, and by day 6 I felt all those words I couldn't quite get my tongue on, the great vocabulary I used to have, was coming back. I just can't say enough about it. Hot flashes are much much milder, the nervousness is gone, and I feel more confident. I'm on day 9 or 10. It's incredible and I just wanted to share. Started with just one bowl, about a cup on cereal, then two of the nine days I had two bowls, sometimes at night I now drink a half glass, the taste difference went away by day 3. Just wanted to share. Has anyone else tried this? I hadn't read a thing about it being so great.

#20377 - 01/05/06 11:58 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
jen50 Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Vi:
I've heard it said that love is the one eternal thing in the universe. I'd like to add one more - menopause. After 13 years I'm still in it, yucky hot flashes, sleepless nights and all, although my period stopped 7 years ago.

We are through menopause when we run out of eggs. I must have one heck of a lot of the little suckers.

#20378 - 01/05/06 11:59 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
jen50 Offline

Try soy milk. It worked wonders for me, I made a huge post about this -- can't explain why, but it has really restored my confidence. I don't think I could have handled thirteen years of menopause.

#20379 - 01/18/06 05:41 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

jen, I have tried soy milk for a couple of weeks now. My hot flashes are not from the neck up or the waist up. My flashes start at the ankles. The backs of my legs, every crease, nook and cranny of my body breaks out in a sweat. A few minutes later I am freezing. I was grocery shopping today and removed and put on my coat four times.I am drinking chocolate soy..you think this is the problem?
I can honestly say I know what it's like to be a snowman!!! [Roll Eyes]
chick

#20380 - 03/26/06 08:16 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Hello. I am new to this site and just learning to navigate through all the posts.I am going to be 53 in May. I tried several things and nothing seemed to control the night sweats and hot flashes. After reading a book about all the side effects that presciption drugs have on the immune system I did not want to take anything that wasn't natural.I went on a quest and found a natural remedy. It is called oil of evening primrose. It works for me. I take it with a glass of vanilla flavored soy milk once in the morning and once at night. I have stopped having night sweats and hot flashes.

#20381 - 03/25/06 09:15 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Welcome almostangel. I love your screen name. How did you come up with it? I'd love to hear.

What dosage are you taking?

I take that along with Vitamin E for my cyctic fibrous disease and it works wonders.

#20382 - 03/25/06 09:31 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
almostangel Offline

Thank you Dotsie. My screen name was given to me by several friends and family members. I have been told that I am as close to an angel that I can get. I genuinely care about people and they seem to seek me out. Sometimes just for a shoulder to cry on or a hand to hold.

As far as the dosage of oil of evening primrose. I take 1 (1000 mg)soft gel in the morning and 1 at night.

#20383 - 03/25/06 11:42 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
chickadee Offline

Dotsie, I didn't know about you having cystic fibrosis.
Welcome almostangel.It's nice to have you here. I am going out to purchase the gelcaps now. I drink chocolate soy. It's delicious. I'll let you know if I quit having the symptoms. You're an angel....well almost [Wink]
chick

#20384 - 03/26/06 06:22 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
I didn't know either, Dotsie. What are your symptoms as an adult???? You have a lot to deal with, my friend, with your husband, yourself, and all.....

Search.

#20385 - 03/26/06 09:50 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh no, I have fibrous cystic disease. It's when you get all these cysts in your breast and need to forever get mammograms and ultrasounds to have them checked. Sorry ladies! I think I'm dyslexic at times. I read what I wrote and I got the words backwards.

Angel, then your name should be angel, not almost angel! There are lots of angles flying around BWS.

#20386 - 03/27/06 12:44 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
leigha Offline

Loc: british columbia
I WISH YOU WELL DOTSIE. I DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD FIBROUS CYSTIC DISEASE.
GOD BLESS YOU FOR FULL HEALING

LOVE LEIGHA

#20387 - 03/27/06 02:23 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
almostangel Offline

Dotsie, I have so many friends that have fibrocycstic breast disease that I knew right away what you were talking about. Be sure to have your mamos at least every 6 months. My mother, god rest her soul died of breast cancer at 62 years of age.She had fibroid tumors most of her life and when one turned malignant it went undetected for over a year because she didn't go to the doctor regularly. I have become a strong advocate for mamograms since then.
I also understood what you meant by all the angles flying around BWS. I love to read to forums. The topics vary and I can't help but smile or laugh out loud at some of the comments.

#20388 - 03/28/06 08:22 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

angel, I have another mammo this week. Lucky me.

This is the first one in a long time that has not been a diagnostic one. Typically I have them because I have cycsts and need to get them checked.

My sister is 51 and already a cancer survivor. Fortunately, they caught it at the very earliest stage becasue she also has fibrous cystic disease.

#20390 - 04/06/06 06:41 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, not that's what I call a good attitude!

#20392 - 04/08/06 03:56 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, I meant "now."

I have heard they don't turn into cancer over and over again. However, a spot changed on my sister's mammogram and sure enough it was malignant. So I'm confused.

I'd never heard about them blocking the view of malignancy, but it sure makes sense...especially when you are as loaded with cysts as I am.

Have you heard of anythign that helps, other than staying away from caffeine? Vitamin E works (but stupid me got out of the habit of taking it) but the doctor I saw this tiem said it's a myth. I don't think so.

Maybe I'll begin taking my Vitamin E today. [Wink]

#20393 - 04/13/06 05:08 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Pam R. Offline

Girls, I just had my annual exam with my gyn yesterday. My only complaint to him was my hot flashes. I have had them for about 4 years now but gosh, they really are getting worse. I cannot take hormone therapy since I had a heart attack in 2003 (Imitrex did it), so he won't even consider that kind of cure. But, he said I should check with my cardiologist and ask if I could take the black cohash. He knows it is herbal but he still wants me to be careful. I am up all night with a fan blowing on me and have a desk fan at work. How many more years before they go away????

#20394 - 04/13/06 07:43 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hi Pam...a shame HRT is not an option for you. It has worked wondrously for me.

Well, as a gal who suffered with the hot flashes for some time, before my tests proved I was in full-blown menopause, I can only give you the old oft mentioned remedies, all of which I made use of...Frequent showers during the day, no caffeine, exercise, and then more exercise, meditation, cut down or eliminate sugar from your diet, eat tofu.

You mention you are up all night, and that's called having the night sweats. I used to get up, drenched with perspiration...I'd shower, put on fresh jammies, walk about a bit, read, then hit the bed again. Sometimes this would help. I also drank a great deal of water, all day. At least eight, eight ounce glasses a day. At night, I always had a chilled bottle of water on the nightstand.

How long will this all last? Every woman is different. Just take it one day at a time, Pam...

www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#20395 - 04/13/06 08:02 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Check out the bedfan that is advertised on our home page.

#20396 - 04/19/06 05:06 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TizLizzy Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hello All. I'm so glad and (I feel), so fortunate to have found a site like this, I can't tell you what it means to me. For one thing, I'm truly no longer alone and don't feel quite as crazy as I thought I was/am. It's good to see other people talking about the same things I am going through, not that I'm glad to see them suffer, but is this what they mean by "misery loves company"? I'm 58 yrs and I have had symptoms,(one or another)for the last 7-8 years. This last 2 years has been the worst. A nightmare. My doc took me off HRT and refused to put me back on it. Mind you, he offered no alternative or knowlege or direction. Nothing. I have told him so many times how horrible this is and how miserable I am, but he just gives me a bland look and a kind of muffled "sorry". I'm so outraged at the med. community. I think they have almost been irresponsible in this area. Then I recently found out I have heart disease, and I have to be careful of almost everything. I'm so confused about what's what. It seems like so many things or products have such different reactions for so many different women. I can't figure out even a "basic" formula. I hear alot about black cohash, which I take, but doesn't seem to do much for me. Also, Maca, which I'm looking for. And Soy, which due to this thread and a kind soul sharing info, I have just started. I also take Evening Primrose. Then there is:Dhea, progesterone, etc.etc. My biggest problem is the hot flashes, hot/cold body, and depression. Maybe worst then that is not knowing when this is going to end. I have 24 of the listed symptoms, and lately I have had breathing problems, like not getting enough of a breath. Someone describes it as "air gulping". It's torture. No one around here understands. I guess if your not sneezing and coughing, they don't think your sick, and certainly not sick for 9 years! It's absurd , isn't it? Why, why, why don't they have help/answers for us? Why do we have to flounder like this? Sometimes I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown, if I haven't already, and that would mean my life would be over. But most of the time I just keep hanging on, begging for it to be over today. I can't remember the last time I put on my makeup, that by the time I'm putting on the last "improvement", it looks like I should start all over again, cause the makeup is now running down my face, washed away from the uncontrollable sweat/storm/deluge. Ridiculous! Well, thanks for listening. Sorry for the ranting, but I feel better for releasing some of the anger. I do have a question. Does anybody have any information about if the thyroid plays a part or contributes to this?

#20397 - 04/19/06 07:05 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Pam R. Offline

I feel like you are writing about my life TizLizzy! Well almost! My flashes are horrible for the last 4 years. I have a heart condition so hormone therapy is off limits. The dr. just prescribed black cohash last week (haven't started it yet) and really had no other advice for me either. As I have mentioned in other posts, I run a fan at night on my side of the bed, have a fan at work on my desk, drink no caffeine and exercise often. What more can I do? This is simply a waiting game, waiting for it to end. But you are right, how long do we wait? My mom swears she didn't suffer like I do but I seem to remember her having a horrible time when I was in high school. Maybe she has forgotten and we will too! Good Luck!

#20398 - 04/19/06 05:11 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TVC15 Offline

Pam,
The black Cohash works for me. If I forget to take it, I notice right away. I'm only having flashes at night though. I hope it helps you as well!

#20399 - 04/20/06 01:48 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TizLizzy Offline

Loc: Chicago
Yes, I agree, Black Cohash, seems to be working for me too. It's just that it has only taken the edge off. Not really enough relief. So I keep trying all these things I hear about. I tried to join the research study that Northwestern Hosp. (Chgo)is conducting on Black Cohash, but I was disqualified when they heard about the heart disease. Oh, well, I hope they uncover some useful/helpful information. At least it's an organized effort to help with our female "condition". You know, now that I think about it, after Pam reminded me of our mothers, my own mother spent a voluntary (very hush, hush) stay in a Psychiatric ward at this age. No one ever used the word Menopause, but it certainlly fits the age and time! Now that I think about it, I'll bet anything that menopause was probably the major contributor. Because, in a couple years after that , she went back to herself. Most mental diseases don't just disappear like that. Thanks Pam, my mother is gone now, but I think that really shed some light on those yrs. Amazing!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved