The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#192909 - 10/30/09 04:25 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I pray his end of life is as you all hope it will be. Home hospice is a beautiful thing.

#192935 - 10/30/09 11:07 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

OK, he's being transported via plane tonight to Duke University for a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) which has a 50/50 chance. My mother and step-sister are driving up and I'm staying here with all the pets.

Anyone in the Durham area? If so, would you contact me? Please. I'm sending my mobile phone number to Lola and Dotsie. Maybe someone has resources to help my mother and step-sister through this difficult time. I'm checking into hotels. Thanks to all of you gals.

Edited by MustangGal (10/30/09 11:12 PM)

#193016 - 11/01/09 03:46 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mustang, wow, I can't beleive they're doing this. I so hope it's successful. Are you traveling alone? I can't think of anyone in the Durham area. Girls, anyone near there?

#193059 - 11/02/09 07:00 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Hey all, step-dad taken to Duke late Friday night. When plane landed in Durham, the ambulance had a flat tire and he had to wait 45 minutes and his drip (dopamine???) stopped. He was taken to the hospital and stablized.

Lola, I think you called me Saturday! I was speaking with Debbie (double lung transplant survivor and Duke Transplant board member) and I lost my signal and both you and Debbie phoned at the same time! Sorry I missed you.

My step-dad had angioplasty (???) surgery early yesterday (Sunday). The test results have not been provided to family members, yet he is not responding and I fear brain damage b/c his heart stopped for 5 minutes. Uncle (his older brother) says he does not look like the man he was and sad that he had to see him that way.

I did not travel to Duke. My mom and step-sister are there. They slept in the hospital Saturday night and checked into hotel across the street Sunday. Don't think I'd be much help. I'm trying to stay busy and not fret. I imagine the time will come for me to do that which I'm designed to do in this situation.

Dotsie and Lola, thank you for calling. Delightful to hear your voice Dotsie! Thanks to all of you gals.

#193060 - 11/02/09 07:13 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Yes, I did but, your cellphone went on voicemail which cut off the connection. I had read your earlier post and since I was attending a meeting at a Diocesan office at that time, I was hoping I could speak to you so I could contact the counterpart in Raleigh who could direct us to what would be best under the circumstances.

Glad you're keeping busy. Prayers continue and hope that you are looking after yourself as well.

#193063 - 11/02/09 07:57 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: Lola]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Update from Mom @ 2:44 PM:

On full life support system.

Not awake nor cognizant.

No activity.

2 CAT scans.

No results yet to determine kidney, liver, or lung damage.

During the operation yesterday his heart stopped 2X, once for 5 minutes. On one occassion he was shocked, the other he was compressed (massaged?).

Team of doctors are assigned and working together.

All functions are controlled by machine (life support).

Not certain about brain waves.

An evaluation 72-hours from the procedure will determine next step.

I understand that historical data is the precendent of the 72-hour evaluation. That should a patient respond well in that time period, than chances of a good recovery. If not, than chances decline.

He is bloated due to the procedure and life support systems. Should he recover, then the bloating will recess.

I'm praying, I'm trying to be hopeful, but I just don't know.

It has now been about 24 hours.

#193108 - 11/03/09 02:22 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Thanks gals. He is not responding to neurological examination. Will begin testing brain wave activity. Has a merca staph infection and receiving antibiotics; thus, all visits are limited and visitors must wear surgical gown, shoes, gloves and masks.

#193110 - 11/03/09 02:29 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

mustang, I'm praying for all of you. Remain strong regardless of today's events.

#193150 - 11/03/09 10:17 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

sorry for the constant updates, yet it helps me.

they were to administer the eeg and test for 24-hours either last night or this morning; however, it will be administered tonight (possibly?).

apparantly the medical staff are not only being positive, but also relaying the possibility of the negative (of which my mother does not want to know nor listen to).

apparantly the LVAD is a prerequisite for a heart transplant - of which he is a candidate at duke. we were not informed of that until today. don't know why we were not informed before he was flown to duke.

also, there is a limit to how long (and we don't know how long) in which he may continue to mechanically exchange carbon dioxide/oxygen (kidney issues) and hefron (spelling) through IV.

gosh, wish I had better explanations!

he's still not responding.

#193246 - 11/04/09 08:30 PM Re: Heart Transplant [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

there is no brain activity and the life support systems will be removed today - this loss is just no words left

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved