The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 23 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#19071 - 11/23/05 10:16 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I would guess that there may be something like that, but it might be expensive. I don't think smoking is considered a disease so such facilities would not be eligible for insurance reimbursement.

It sure sounds like a good thing. Maybe you should start one especially for boomer women
smile

#19072 - 11/23/05 11:26 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
i hold nothing personal against those who choose to smoke. a smoker is different from the over eater tho, in one important way - my cinnamon roll will not end up on your hips but your cig smoke can end up in my lungs.

my MIL is has been a heavy smoker for years. now she has copd emphazema. she denies she is sick, and would rather wheez and fight for air than use the nebulizer and oxygen. her voice is raspy and she looks like he!! she has lost a brother and a sister to lung cancer caused by smoking.

what really galls me is that both of my boys smoke as do most of their friends. we did our best to convey the dangers of smoking to them as teens but you would think they never heard us or saw grandma smoke and get sick while her siblings died from it. i don't understand.

i tell them that i worked at having healthy pregnancies with them, spending 9 months of pregnancy on each of them - and i HATED being pregnant so 9 months crept by very slowly each time. anyway, they each were issued one set of healthy, pink lungs and they will really pi__ me off if they go and get sick. this is a rare area where i think a little monther lode guilt is in order - even if it doesn't work?

#19073 - 11/23/05 11:57 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Smile, ChattyI wonder if such a facility would work? I would pay to spend 3 days (weekend perhaps)somewhere and come out with a head start. I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred for that. I'd save that much in cigarette in a few months. Maybe I need to research this and see if I can start something...and franchaise(bigger plan)
Funny enough, Flipperjo, none of my children smoke. My Mother and Father died from smoking related diseases so I really want to quit.
Only a short time from now, Thanksgiving Day, I will be smokefree...I dread it but it has to be done. It's now or never. Oh how I am going to need your prayers and support then!
I appreciate all the discussion on this. Flipperjo, I hope you can convince your boys to quit.
chick

#19074 - 11/23/05 05:14 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

flipperjo, just keep talking to your boys about it.

My son works at a store that sells tobacco, lottery tickets and booze as it's main products.

The other day he decided to try some cherry flavored snuff. He was between classes on his college campus and had a two and a half hour wait for the next one.

He put a small pinch of snuff between his cheek and gum, nothing, spit it out tried another small pinch, nothing. He said it tasted salty and like cherry cough syrup. It also burned his mouth and throat. He tried a bigger pinch and that's when it really hit hard! He became dizzy, got the shakes and nearly passed out. His teacher in his first class came up to him and asked him if he was okay. He was sure other people thought he was stoned! He threw out the brand new can of snuff in the nearest waste basket he could find. He's well aware of how dangerous it is but wanted to see why all these people around him love it.

A "roll" of it (10 cans) cost $40.00. He's amazed that guys can go through 10 cans in a week.

Just keep talking to your boys about it.

[ November 23, 2005, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#19075 - 11/23/05 06:34 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Has anyone here tried the patches? My daughter used the patches to get off ciggs...she is 32 days smoke free and proud.

When I was younger and quit - I did the cold turkey routine...ughhhh! I wish I had the patches back then!

D.

#19076 - 11/23/05 07:06 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My dauther used the gum and it worked but she's now addicted to the gum.

#19077 - 11/23/05 07:11 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I've heard of that happening before Dianne. The guy I spoke to said his doctor said he was better off chewing the gum than smoking.

#19078 - 11/24/05 08:41 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by flipperjo:
...a smoker is different from the over eater tho, in one important way - my cinnamon roll will not end up on your hips but your cig smoke can end up in my lungs.

That's my point Flipperjo. I sympathize with smokers. I'm sorry they are addicted, but unlike other addicts, their drug affects not only their health, but mine and I am concerned about that. At one time smoke did not affect me as adversely as it now does. I've heard that they have changed cigarettes so they now have hundreds of addictive and dangerous substances. Anyone know anything about that?

Flipper, Your MIL sounds like many COPD patients. Almost all cough, can hardly breathe, have no energy, and yet deny that smoking is their problem. I have seen them smoke through the tracheotomies performed to save their lives (usually from a smoking related disease). Others who can barely breathe insist their oxygen be turned off so they can smoke. Or worse yet, they endanger everyone by smoking with their oxygen ON.
I've also seen a lot of smokers who smoke while using the patch. That can be quite dangerous because it can precipitate a heart attack. Lung cancer is only one of many diseases brought on by smoking.

I wish all that was not true, but it is and to deny it is not helpful to a smoker or anyone else. Smoking makes you smell bad, gives you wrinkles, yellows your teeth and endangers not only the smoker, but those nearby. Anyone who smokes should do everything they can to stop.

Nobody is treating smokers like a 'lepers' or saying them like "nasty" people. But facts are facts.
And Chick, you're doing a wonderful thing not only for yourself, but for your friends, family, and fellow boomers who will all be thankful to have you around for a lot longer.
I'll be saying a prayer for your success. And we'll be here for you if we can help.
smile

[ November 23, 2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#19079 - 11/24/05 08:57 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I used the patch along with the book I mentioned. It works but don't wear it to bed at night. It gives you horrible nightmares. And, you shouldn't smoke for two hours after removing it. Can bring on a heart attack.

There is nothing good about smoking. It will hit every single part of your body. What we believe it does for us isn't really true. My husband smokes and has for many years and I worry about him all the time.

#19080 - 11/23/05 09:49 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Smilinize, everything you have said about smoking is VERY true.

My only point was and is this: these ladies ALL know these facts to be true, now we are trying to help them to stop.

Thank you all for your kind comments because that's all we really need here, not denial because that won't help.

Put down that cigarette tomorrow if you feel yourself taking one out to light it up.

You ALL can beat this habit, it can be done but each of you has to set realistic goals, there will be no denial only realism. It's up to each of you to decide how you can best achieve the goal of quitting. Some of you will find it harder to do than others but so it is with any addiction. If you think you can't you won't. If you think you can, you will!

Page 6 of 23 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 23 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved