The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#19051 - 11/22/05 04:27 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have never smoked a cigarette or drank liquor but never looked my nose down at anyone else that did either. I and my ex owned a cocktail lounge and I was a lounge singer in Chicago an probably inhaled enough second hand smoke to kill me ten times over. Yet here I am. Now my girlfriend also never smoked and none of her family smoked and she worked in a (smokeless)Church rectory and died of lung cancer, so go figure...Sometimes Ladybug it just takes one person to get the ball rolling and make a difference on our planet, bravo for your efforts!

[ November 21, 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#19052 - 11/22/05 04:44 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Thanks Chatty.

Did any of you know that a few years back one of the tobacco companies (Phillip Morris?) actually admitted that they spiked their tobacco products with extra nicotine knowing full well that it would be that much more addictive? What do you think about that? Would you have smoked their product knowing this? I don't think so.

Ladies, smoking is just such a small part of who you are. How about acknowledging all the good you do for your families and friends? Please focus on that.

We women are so good at easily accepting guilt. We heap it on our shoulders like a pile of rotted dung. Do you know any men smokers who feel one ounce of guilt for doing it and "contributing to the rising health care costs?" I doubt it.

You've got to start feeling good about yourselves again and that's maybe what will finally make you kick this habit square in the butt.

#19053 - 11/22/05 04:55 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am not a smoker hater or crusader of any kind, but I think people resent smokers, not only for the strain smoking related diseases place on the health care system, but also because smoking is one of the few addictions that affects the comfort and physical health of by-standers. It may be difficult for a smoker who loves a cigarette to imagine, but smoke stinks and it hurts the lungs of non-smokers.

Only after a smoker has stopped smoking for a while do they regain their sense of smell and reinflate their lungs. Only then can they smell and feel what non-smokers always feel around cigarette smoke.

Secondhand smoke is definitely a health hazard and inhaling it is very uncomfortable for the non-smoker.

All smokers seem to think they are careful not to inflict their smoke on others, but I really don't think there is a way to avoid it. Cigarette smoke smells bad, is corrosive, and hurts the lungs of non-smokers.

Not to place guilt, but those are just facts that I hope inspire more smokers to quit.

smile

#19054 - 11/22/05 05:24 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Why do non-smokers resent smokers any more than the fellow who gorges himself on food every day and then finds himself with heart disease? That person is also contributing to the rising health care costs. People who are smoking while they drive donot kill people like a person who drives while he's had drugs or alcohol. That's who I resent. I worked in an office for 15+ years with heavy smokers. I am here and thank God healthy. Did I like that smoke, no, but I also respected my co-workers right to smoke.

A few days ago at my son's part time job a gentleman came in and bought some cigarettes. He wanted to stay in the shop awhile and smoke because it was cold out. He went outside the store and lit up his cigarette. My son said he went outside and invited the man back in and told him he was welcome to smoke in the store. My son said the man's face lit up and he said, "really?, cause no one lets me smoke anywhere inside, thanks." My son said hearing that made him feel bad for the guy.

My point is this, I've been around hundreds of smokers and none of it has hurt me. The hostile reactions of non-smokers is more hurtful to smokers than their smoke is to the public.

[ November 22, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#19055 - 11/22/05 05:44 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Today I buried my best friend

Today when I woke up I felt very sad
for what I was planning to do
I lost my best friend, just two days before
The funeral would take place at noon

All dressed up in black, with a veil on my face
I gave her a bittersweet kiss
I knew that I'd never see her anymore
And whispered “Goodby” from my lips

I'd known her forever, she was my company
when no one else could have cared less
She got me through troubles and heartache and tears
through bliss, joy and pure happiness

She'd been my companion for thirty five years
and Never! Not once, let me down
How could I let go? Without her I'll die
I wept, as I looked towards the ground

I thought, as I left there, What will I do now?
I've no one to keep me content
Who'll help me make all my decisions
when I need advise or consent?

Where will I turn when my world falls apart
or when I hear news that is good
Who's gonna cheer me, when things have turned bad
And what about sharing my food

How can I have coffee without her?
Oh,what about feeling alone?
And if I get nervous, who'll be there for me?
Now...who's gonna help me postpone!

Tomorrow I'll wake and I'll miss her so such
But I will just have to make do
I will trudge on, and forget about her
My cigarette... I bid you
adieu.

chick

Norma, your post reminded me of a poem I wrote a few years ago. I don't have it anymore but remembered enough about it to rewrite this one.I know just what you mean!

#19056 - 11/22/05 06:19 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The most outragious one yet regarding smoking is when you enter a nice restaurant and they ask:

SMOKING OR NON SMOKING?

Now tell me if you can how the smoke knows where to stop in one large diningroom. DAH!!!Does it say to itself, nope can't go past that table oh noooo, might get in trouble. REALLY [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

Chickadee super poem. [Big Grin]

[ November 21, 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#19057 - 11/22/05 07:24 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Goodmorning ladies who are trying to quit smoking! How are you this morning? How are your convictions holding up today?

So please begin and tell me about what you've accomplished today on cutting back. Were the cravings there and how did you deal with them?

If you need my personal e-mail to talk just PM me and I'll give it to you. I'd like you to know that you can contact me and I'll respond.

Good luck today, it's a new day to start fresh!

[ November 22, 2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#19058 - 11/23/05 08:43 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
In AZ, cowboy country, and especially in the small town where I grew up that has the famous Historic Wiskey Row, there is no smoking allowed. It hurt the old bar's business.

In TN, we aren't there yet. Most restaurants still have smoking sections, even if only at the bar.

#19059 - 11/22/05 09:42 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Since smokers do comprise a big section of the dining-out public, it would behoove restaurant owners to provide a more effective way of dealing with this issue.

How would a special room for smokers only do?

What do you think, would it work?

#19060 - 11/22/05 10:00 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
and good morning to you Bug, have a super day,
your reaching out is really appreciated,. For me today's part of the serenity prayer will be...
'and change the things i can' . Thanks Bug.

Page 4 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 23 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved