The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 149 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#19002 - 11/21/05 06:57 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Well so far, I'm still stinky!
Not giving up though!

#19003 - 11/21/05 07:30 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I had 2 good days with 4 a day. 3rd day (today)is hardest for me. TVC you smell good to me. [Embarrassed] Norma you are doing pretty good I see. I may not have quit yet...but I am on my way.
Ladybug, you are such a warm hearted human being. I truly appreciate what you have done for the three of us who are trying to kick an addiction. We really want to...we just don't know how yet.
I changed to a brand that I don't like. From 120's(long)to 100's. I don't chew gum because It makes me hungry and I DON'T want to gain weight. I quit smoking in my car. When I crave, I use a straw to chew on. Today I am going to try and go the whole day without one. Wish me luck.

Everyone...we really do need your support. Thank you for helping us.

chick

#19004 - 11/22/05 08:37 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, I'm so happy to hear how hard you are trying. I really do think you'll do it this time.

Thanks for all your kind comments to me. You'll never know just how much they are appreciated.

For a very long time (too long) I was on a self-pity trip. I've finally gotten off and getting on with my life. I'd almost forgotten about my motto: to do at least one good thing for a person at least once a day. So I'll be off now, Marge needs a new shower curtain hung and her back is just in too much pain to do it herself.

Have a happy day and don't forget to post in the Smoking Section Only!

#19005 - 11/22/05 08:43 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Chickadee, If you can make it through one day without a cigarette, you can make it a lifetime without smoking. One day at a time.

This could be the beginning of a whole new life of freedom for you. We're all behind you. 100%

smile

#19006 - 11/21/05 09:05 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My therapist had me try this and it really worked! I'm not kidding. He had me take a cigarette and lighter and pretend to light it and inhale deeply. Honestly, it felt the exact way it would if it had been lit. I had an immediate sense of relief, just like I did when lighting up.

#19007 - 11/21/05 10:16 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Dianne, all the more proof of the psychological effects nicotine has on a person don't you think?

Sounds like a very smart therapist.

#19008 - 12/05/05 08:38 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by chickadee:
Norma, I keep hearing stories from people who say they quit and didn't crave another one after...Why can't we do that? Ladybug, I quit every day for two weeks now. I am just going to keep quitting until I get it right.
Good luck to us 'quitters'.
chick

Ladybug, Gosh, I know you started the topic, Norma was a slip of the mind(?) Forgive me?. [Embarrassed] . I had JJ's words close to me about what her Daddy said and it made such sense. When I posted about cravings, Dianne posted this: it was ((( My Final turning point ))) Norma and TVC, this is especially for you two. BTW thanks TVC for your kind comments.

quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:

I posted the book that helped me quit and in it the author says the reason we continue to have cravings is *** because we haven't really made up our minds to quit.*** When the monster was begging to be fed every 15 minutes, I would tell myself that smoking wasn't an option anymore and I'd go on to something else, like work that had been waiting while I was smoking.

I seriously encourage you to get that book and read it.

#19009 - 12/05/05 08:52 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dianne,
I just saw your post about pretending to light up. I'm going to try this in the morning. that is when i have the worst time of it. Always smoke with my morning coffee and once I've started, that's it for the day.
You're welcome Chick! And it's true!!!!

#19010 - 12/05/05 04:16 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Here are a few things that worked for me....
I bought a bunch of toothbrushes. Put them in my car, my desk, nightstand, purse...everywhere I could think of. When I wanted to light up I brushed my teeth instead. Yah I got a few stares driving down the road brushing my teeth but...oh well:D Sure beat the disapproving glances.

Splurged on a huge bottle of one of my favorite perfumes Ysatis. Instead of people furrowing their brows because I smelled of cigarette smoke they told me how good I smelled. (Positive reinforcement) [Big Grin]

Water - Drink it often! Ice cubes or crushed ice

"Smoke-Away"...You can buy it almost anywhere. It worked for my sister who was a chain smoker for 50 years.

Years ago I had a friend who was a hypnotist. I told him I wanted to try hypnotherapy to quit smoking. He said that first we had to determine why I smoke. I told him. "I know why I smoke! I smoke so I don't eat!" My mother was 5'4 and weighed 400 lbs. My sister was 5'5 and weighed 300 lbs. At the time, I was 5'7 and weighed 130 lbs.

Well I had a couple of sessions with him and soon he announced...You're right! You are afraid of becoming obese. Cigarettes are your food..
Well two sessions later I was a non smoker. Until....multiple deaths in the family including my mother, divorce, job changes you name it. My brother is an alchoholic so I never turned to alcohol to soothe my nerves but went back to smoking until I was diagnosed with skin cancer. And now...50 extra pounds go with me wherever I go! Yes I know that alot of the extra weight is due to age and menopause so... now I'm just a fluffy, good smelling ol' bat [Big Grin]

#19011 - 12/05/05 04:42 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, it's quite alright that you forgot who started this topic. As I said, it doesn't really matter because we are all helping each other.

Just look at all the good ideas in here on how people are "taming this beast."

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved