The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#18962 - 11/15/05 05:52 PM Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Thursday is the American Cancer Society's Great American Smokeout. Do you smoke, do you want to quit? For those who were smokers and quit tell us how you did it and the benefits you've felt since you have. I've never smoked but I sympathize with those who do. The new Jacobs Field where the Cleveland Indians play was funded by a "sin" tax on cigarettes yet those same people are not permitted to smoke there. I don't like people's second hand smoke anymore than you do but this is a little unfair. Tax them on it then banish them from the venue they helped build? Your thoughts?

#18963 - 11/15/05 07:41 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona

#18964 - 11/15/05 09:25 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Smoked for way to long, 20 years.

Quit, June 15, 2005 when I entered the hospital for a heart cath. Haven't picked one up since.

Diagnosed with coronary vasospasms, some of the things that brings the spasms on are...cigarette/other smoke, cold temperatures, and stress. My nose works so much better now!

The benefit for me is, spending more time with my family...God willing.

Although, I no longer smoke, I believe smoker's are having their rights taken away, bit by bit more and more. What's next???

[ November 15, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: yepthatsme2 ]

#18965 - 11/15/05 09:30 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Great to hear you quit. My husband's uncle was a life long smoker then just one day quit when he was in his 70's. He lived a long, healthy life after that and people still marvel that he just quit cold turkey all on his own.

#18966 - 11/16/05 10:49 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
How? Everyway possible, and kept going back.
I am addicted to nicotine. Twenty minutes ago i once again tied up the carton of cigerettes and put them out in the workshop. At $79. a carton i am not going to 'throw them away'. In the past i have thrown individual packages away after ripping up every cigerette inside. Needed to rip up individual cigerettes because i would root around in the garbage looking for them when my brain would begin to fuzz. If today i can make 3 hours i will consider that a success. It's now
quarter to 10 in the morning. Ladybug, for someone who has 'never smoked' to ask about this subject, is so surprising, a sincere act of kindness, thank you, thank you very very much.

#18967 - 11/16/05 11:24 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Nicotine IS a very powerful, addictive substance that is very hard to wean your body off of. Just doing that act of putting them out of your sight is a start.

Sometimes it takes the process of trying to stop over and over until you finally can. You can do it. The people who love you will be happy if you can. Can you give those smokes to someone else?

#18968 - 11/17/05 12:36 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Norma, I keep hearing stories from people who say they quit and didn't crave another one after...Why can't we do that? Ladybug, I quit every day for two weeks now. I am just going to keep quitting until I get it right.
Good luck to us 'quitters'.
chick

#18969 - 11/17/05 12:58 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, remember every small step gets you closer to success. Quitting IS hard and you are trying so that's a positive move forward. You CAN do it!

#18970 - 11/17/05 02:43 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Chick,
I didn't make it last time either but am going to try again tomorrow. Smoke out day!
Let's try it again!

#18971 - 11/17/05 02:52 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

TVC15, I wondered if you quit last time...and was afraid to bring it up for fear that I failed when you didn't. Ok, lets try again. Any other takers?
Thanks for the encouragement ladybug.
chick

[ November 16, 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#18972 - 11/17/05 06:07 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Good ladies, please keep encouraging each other to quit. You know you can and if it doesn't work this time just keep trying until it does.

#18973 - 11/17/05 09:16 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

Chick, i wouldn't have thought you smoked. And TV, you also? It is not good news, but, on the other hand it makes me feel less isolated .

Ladybug you said..'the people who love you will be very happy if you can quit'. If i honestly look at that, i have to admit, i dont trust the love of others. But,(and i know this is ridiculous) i trust a cigerette. It will always be there, it wont argue, wont make demands, wont cause trouble - other then slowly taking my life of course. NOw that is crazy thinking but i have to admit to it. So, guess i have to deal with that issue, somehow first.

#18974 - 11/17/05 07:00 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Norma, this is a place to be able to speak the truth and not get blasted for it. Your reasons for liking a cigarette are valid. I think when you are truly ready you'll quit and if you never do I'm certainly not going to judge you. I told my children this about smoking: Smokers are not bad people and smoking doesn't make you a bad person but just don't do it because it really is bad for your health. My son works in a shop that sells mostly alcohol and tabacco products as well as lottery tickets. He's come away with an entirely different opinion of people who smoke and you know what??? He likes these folks a lot and respects them. He feels they are unfairly dealt with in many cases. I don't like second hand smoke in a restaurant either but darn it don't place a "sin" tax on cigarettes to build Jacobs Field then tell these same people who helped pay for it that they cannot smoke there! That is just ludicrous!

#18975 - 11/17/05 07:48 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Encouraging one another to quit smoking. Great use of forum space. Go fot it. It reminds me of the diet forum.

#18976 - 11/17/05 10:06 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Chick,
I was afraid of the same thing! LOL
Okay, I'll admit that I blew it already today but plan to keep trying everyday until it sticks!
It was just a bad morning, alot of crazy stuff and the worst of it was that my refridgerator went on the blink, Yes one week before Thanksgiving and I only have one of those mini fridges to use. Get this, it still is under warranty but they can't get anyone here until the 25th! Got that, a day AFTER Thanksgiving!
I know this is not an excuse to smoke but on top of everything else......

I just keep humming the music to that song... Tomorrow, Tomorrow!

#18977 - 11/17/05 10:32 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

Ladybug... you made me burst out in happiness with your reply... although we dont wear bells around our necks ringing 'leper' it's how i feel so often about this addiction. I'm lucky in that our daughters dont smoke, and only the grandson who lived long periods with me took it up. (although he is almost off them)

TV..i dont blame you for being ticked, that would certainly make me smoke while i cooled my heels.

#18978 - 11/17/05 10:37 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

TVC it's not an excuse but it would work for me too. Norma, how are you doing?
I smoked today but my plan is this. I am not going to smoke in my car anymore. When I am over that one, I am going to stop smoking at my computer. When I have accomplished that, I am going to keep my cigarettes in the car and have to go outside to get one when I need it. My hardest is the one with coffee in the morning and that gets the ball rolling.
My addiction to cigarettes is real. I have been smoking for 30+ years. I don't want to be cranky and irritable so I want to withdraw gradually. I don't want to gain weight so I need to compensate my cravings with something good...like bottled water, maybe?
A cigarette is my friend. It is my comfort in all situations. I love a cigarette...
BUT it's time for me to quit. I think if we post here daily, we may just accomplish it...just not today.
Good luck to all who are trying and thank you for the encouragement from non smokers.
chick
chick

#18979 - 11/18/05 12:37 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, your plan sounds like one that will work and I wish you success with it.

My elderly neighbor said back in "the old days" her doctor even encouraged her to smoke to lose weight. She finally quit when her husband had to out of necessity.

All of you can do it. Keep posting here and encouraging each other, you are super ladies!

#18980 - 11/19/05 08:49 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Chick I think your idea is a good, no make that a great one!!!!!
You are right about the coffee thing. And then once I've blown it, I feel like I can't do it the rest of the day but by getting rid of certain cigarettes during the day, it is a step in the right direction and can be started even after failing with the coffee!
I'm going to start with the car today!

#18981 - 11/18/05 10:19 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

To all of you,
I think you are all terrific, brave to let it all out with your thoughts, and I am soooo on your side! I want you to read what I'm about to say out of love, and even more importantly, out of understanding, k?

I smoked for about 20 years and then it seemed that more and more of my friends had quit. I was threatened by this, and didn't like it one bit. None of my family smoked, but they NEVER asked me NOT to in their homes or their cars. Then, as time rolled along, it became more and more PI to smoke. Smokers became the "lepers" as you put it (I liked that analogy and I totally understood it)and companies began teling their employees that the facilities were now smoke-free.

We smokers found a way around that. Back of the buildings, run out to our cars, lunchtime (where our cars would be a pillow of smoke going down the road) and then the comfort of home once the workday was over.

Finally, I told Daddy one day that I was ready to quit. He had simply laid them down after 30+ years and said that's it. No bad temper, no cravings, no weight gain. He was a smoker one day, a nonsmoker the next. When I told him I wanted to quit, he said, "you will... when you are ready." I said, you don't understand, I've tried, I've done yada...yada..--" He interrupted me and said, "what did I just say, honey?" I repeated it... I will quit when I'm ready to quit. He said, "that's the answer."

I wanted to hit him. Didn't he know how hard it was? Didn't he know how hard I had tried over and over? I was furious at him for being so flippant about it, or so I thought. But, you know what? He was right.

When I got ready to quit, I laid them down, said a prayer asking for help and vowing never to smoke again, and that was that. No angst, no sleepless night, nada. Now... I DID gain 50 lbs. Sorry, wish I could say this story has a fairy tale ending, but it doesn't.

I haven't been able to get the weight off yet. Course, I can just hear Daddy up in heaven right now saying, "You could if you were ready to loose it."

JJ

#18982 - 11/18/05 10:28 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

And that's all it is, you just have to be ready to quit and I know you one day will be. If not today, then another day, but at least give it a try!

#18983 - 11/18/05 10:59 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Thank you JJ,
I keep thinking I'm ready and then when it gets right down to it, can't... but I will!
Just as soon as I have a relaxing, care free, worryless day! LOL
I think I'll try Chick's plan just to get started and then go to JJ's plan once I'm ready!

Thanks for the encouragement Ladybug!

#18984 - 11/18/05 11:38 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

I didn't smoke in my car yesterday...and I am fine with that one. Now I have to spend more time in my car. [Big Grin]

Tomorrow morning I am going to put my cigarettes in my car so I will have to physically go out in the cold to get one. Brrr...

I want to say something very important. Cigarette smoking is an addiction with me. I want everyone to know that your posts on the topic has made it comfortable for me to come to the 'table' and talk about it. Believe it or not, the fact that I can post my successes or failures right here, will help me quit.

Friends encouraging friends to do something as important as quitting a dangerous addiction?...Now, that is something!

I think I am closer to quitting more now than I have been in the last 30 years. Being able to open it up to discussion has helped.

To all who post on this topic, your support is what I need, Thank You for giving it.

~ Blessings ~
chick

#18985 - 11/18/05 11:44 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, my son and I talk about smoking ALL the time. He's really helped me soften my position on this matter as he points out to me so many times, Smoking IS an addiction for all smokers and is not that easily given up as people insist (non-smokers likely).

You know Chick, it's the smokers who give my son a tip when they win on their lottery tickets.

#18986 - 11/18/05 11:44 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

Good morning Bug, Chick, TV, JJ.. seems like i smoke more when i get angry about whatever
'learning to accept the things i cannot change, having the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to know the difference" is important for me.

One sister and i are genetically incapable of sewing. Every 7 or 8 years i attempt it. By midnight last night, after a full day of sewing, ripping apart and beginning again, the nightgown i am making for a daughter, just needed to be hemmed.

Point is, i did not smoke in anger when i realized the sleeves were still in the wrong place, all the gathering etc etc etc had to come out again, i had a cigerette while i contemplated how unique this inability seems to be, then ripped the whole thing apart again. As i see the pieces again all apart this morning. I have to admit, my patience level has reached a new height, and that is good eh.

#18987 - 11/18/05 11:50 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

someone may think i am making light of this, no, not at all, because frustration is one thing that encourages me to smoke, i am trying to learn other methods of coping with frustration, irritation, anger. Seening things in a different light.

[ November 18, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: norma ]

#18988 - 11/19/05 12:02 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Many people who smoke tell me it is so relaxing so it's easy to see that one turns to it in times of frustration.

Go easy on yourselves ladies, one day at a time.

I tried to give up my coffee addiction and that lasted three days. The headaches were so bad!!!

Think about that. Coffee is not near as addicting as the smoking so it would only stand to reason it's a much harder substance to quit.

[ November 18, 2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#18989 - 11/19/05 12:42 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

To all my ladies here, please pray for me and hope it doesn't hurt too much as I go for my tattoo in 15 more minutes.

#18990 - 11/19/05 12:47 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
jawjaw said it the best for me. I to was lucky to be able to say I'm going to quit, and I did. Threw away all the cigs. and never looked back. You have to be ready to give it up. And yes, it is an addiction.
I wish all of you who are trying you best to give it up.
I didn't gain weight, didn't have any of the side effects of quiting. Guess I was just very lucky.
Lynne

#18991 - 11/19/05 01:57 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

Chick and TV how're you two doing ? Do you also believe those who came up with the name 'simplicity' for a certain pattern company should be taken out and shot... then sued for lying ??? Do seam rippers wear out ? Are you smoking less today ? I am, but it's not easy accepting 'consistency' as an attribute, when it comes to consistently 'getting it wrong again'.

#18992 - 11/19/05 05:15 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

Doing good Norma. Hanging in. You are so funny... simplicity, ha ha.
Tomorrow is a new day. Hang in.
chick

#18993 - 11/19/05 05:55 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I have never smoked so I can't relate from a smoker's point of view. And I don't want to discourage anyone. However, I've worked with a lot of patients trying to quit and I agree with JJ's Dad.

All smokers say they will 'taper off,' as Chick is doing, but as someone said, smoking is an addiction and each cigarette, no matter where or how seldom it is smoked. readdicts the smoker.

Smokers are like alcoholics. They can "never" smoke again. The first cigarette or even a puff will readdict them all over again.

Only by completely stopping a drug can anyone ever break an addiction. Some people taper off then decide to stop, but usually tapering off is unsuccessful unless it leads to complete withdrawal.

smile

#18994 - 11/19/05 06:40 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

So Chick did you smoke more or less then usual today?? How many cigerettes do you normally have per day? i haven't had as many as i normally have, probably because am happy about being accepted by our non smoking friend Ladybug..my wonderful project was finally finished an hour ago... my daughter came by, tried it on..okay so .. maybe the simplicity company is not entirely at fault.. you know this cutting on the fold business.. ... sewing the yoke into armhole areas.. well never mind. Good luck for tomorrow Chick

#18995 - 11/19/05 06:43 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Smile you are right.
I've quit for months so many times and then for some reason all it takes is a momemt of weakness and I'm right back where I was before I quit.
It's hard but I know I can do it. I need to be in the right frame of mind to get started and then I need to stay in that frame of mind for the rest of my life. (no easy task for me)
Thanks to all who are sympathetic and encouraging!
We can do it ladies!
Tomorrow, Tomorrow!
(yes I messed it up again today- hanging my head in shame)

#18996 - 11/19/05 06:54 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
smilinize Offline

quote:
I need to be in the right frame of mind to get started and then I need to stay in that frame of mind for the rest of my life. (no easy task for me)... I messed it up again today- hanging my head in shame) [/QB]
Not to be hard on you, but "waiting for the right frame of mind" is just an excuse for not stopping. And making the stopping dependent upon a lasting "right frame of mind" is also not stopping. It may be quitting temporarily, but it's definitely not stopping.

When you're ready to never smoke again, you'll stop. And not before.

And don't be ashamed. You just weren't ready yet.

smile

#18997 - 11/19/05 07:19 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

First of all I want to say to all the "smokers" that you SHOULD NOT be hanging your head in shame, and you SHOULD NOT be afraid to post about any of your successes, or what you consider lack of, in here.

Do you think you are the only one who has an addiction? Mine, for the time being, is food. Now you want to talk addiction? Come on over, and since you're coming, bring some of those Salt and Pepper potato chips with ya, k?

Yes, tabacco is addictive. And yes, it takes about 30 days to get it out of your system. And yes, bad situations, (i.e., stress) all trigger the "need" for a cig... been there done that. Believe me, I totally understand.

And if it makes anyone feel any better about it all, I LOVED SMOKING! It was a social thing with me. Some people have a diet coke in their hands when they're on the phone chatting away to a friend, some people smoke. I smoked. I loved it. And get this, I loved how it calmed me down, or....... hyped me up! Depending on the circumstances. If I didn't know NOW about how it feels to be on the "other side" of the smoking thing, I would go right this minute and buy a pack and smoke all day. Some of my best writing came from a pack or two.

Now...having said all that, and knowing I support you 100%, let me say this. When I pass by someone who smokes, I know it. I don't care how much gum they chew, I can smell it. And my "smeller" ain't that great. When I am around someone who smokes, I can smell it in their clothes, their hair, their cars, house...yada..yada...yada.

I cannot believe I use to smell like this. It still blows my mind. I first noticed it when I had been quit about a season, and went to the extra closet to change out my clothes for the next season. Pewwww... I couldn't wear them.

I'm not saying this to offend you, sweet women! On the contrary. I'm telling you this because you will not believe the difference once you stop. There is a reward at the end. Not only will you save money, but you will love the way you don't smell things. Did I say that right? LOL!

JJ

#18998 - 11/19/05 07:35 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

"I keep hearing stories from people who say they quit and didn't crave another one after...Why can't we do that? Ladybug, I quit every day for two weeks now. I am just going to keep quitting until I get it right"

I posted the book that helped me quit and in it the author says the reason we continue to have cravings is because we haven't really made up our minds to quit. When the monster was begging to be fed every 15 minutes, I would tell myself that smoking wasn't an option anymore and I'd go on to something else, like work that had been waiting while I was smoking.

I seriously encourage you to get that book and read it.

#18999 - 11/19/05 09:23 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
norma Offline

I have quit smoking successfully before, am very much aware of the smell. Have made it for days at a time, a week or two at a time, even 3 months one time. Obviously didn't stay quit. I am no longer trying to quit smoking. I am trying to get myself into a frame of thinking that does not need a cigerette for help in whatever situation.

#19000 - 11/19/05 09:50 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
It's been five months since I quit smoking. There are days I would really...really like a cigarette. But, I stick 2 pieces of gum in my mouth and chew like mad. Can hear my mom say, "you look like a cow chewing, like that".

It's even worse when others in the house are smoking...I can smell when they have had a cigarette. Pure torture!
Any one who says it's easy...just isn't telling the truth.

Don't be to hard on yourselves, sometimes we think we have lost sight of our goal...but it will always be there...waiting.

[ November 19, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: yepthatsme2 ]

#19001 - 11/19/05 11:58 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Hi my ladies, I missed you all and I'm so glad to see you are helping one another.

You CAN and you WILL stop smoking. You've got to do what works for you and not be ashamed when you back slide. People with every kind of addiction back slide.

Why can't you quit you ask? This IS a powerful addiction.

Just keep trying, remember each small step each day gets you closer to that goal.

I encourage you to use this post each day and log in whatever your thoughts are. Log in your disappointments at maybe caving in to another cigarette.

No one here is going to criticize that and I personally ask anyone who attempts to to please back off and not post. If you don't understand or if you feel the need to be harsh to these ladies don't post. This is their thread now.

#19002 - 11/21/05 06:57 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Well so far, I'm still stinky!
Not giving up though!

#19003 - 11/21/05 07:30 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

I had 2 good days with 4 a day. 3rd day (today)is hardest for me. TVC you smell good to me. [Embarrassed] Norma you are doing pretty good I see. I may not have quit yet...but I am on my way.
Ladybug, you are such a warm hearted human being. I truly appreciate what you have done for the three of us who are trying to kick an addiction. We really want to...we just don't know how yet.
I changed to a brand that I don't like. From 120's(long)to 100's. I don't chew gum because It makes me hungry and I DON'T want to gain weight. I quit smoking in my car. When I crave, I use a straw to chew on. Today I am going to try and go the whole day without one. Wish me luck.

Everyone...we really do need your support. Thank you for helping us.

chick

#19004 - 11/22/05 08:37 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, I'm so happy to hear how hard you are trying. I really do think you'll do it this time.

Thanks for all your kind comments to me. You'll never know just how much they are appreciated.

For a very long time (too long) I was on a self-pity trip. I've finally gotten off and getting on with my life. I'd almost forgotten about my motto: to do at least one good thing for a person at least once a day. So I'll be off now, Marge needs a new shower curtain hung and her back is just in too much pain to do it herself.

Have a happy day and don't forget to post in the Smoking Section Only!

#19005 - 11/22/05 08:43 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
smilinize Offline

Chickadee, If you can make it through one day without a cigarette, you can make it a lifetime without smoking. One day at a time.

This could be the beginning of a whole new life of freedom for you. We're all behind you. 100%

smile

#19006 - 11/21/05 09:05 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My therapist had me try this and it really worked! I'm not kidding. He had me take a cigarette and lighter and pretend to light it and inhale deeply. Honestly, it felt the exact way it would if it had been lit. I had an immediate sense of relief, just like I did when lighting up.

#19007 - 11/21/05 10:16 PM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Dianne, all the more proof of the psychological effects nicotine has on a person don't you think?

Sounds like a very smart therapist.

#19008 - 12/05/05 08:38 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
chickadee Offline

quote:
Originally posted by chickadee:
Norma, I keep hearing stories from people who say they quit and didn't crave another one after...Why can't we do that? Ladybug, I quit every day for two weeks now. I am just going to keep quitting until I get it right.
Good luck to us 'quitters'.
chick

Ladybug, Gosh, I know you started the topic, Norma was a slip of the mind(?) Forgive me?. [Embarrassed] . I had JJ's words close to me about what her Daddy said and it made such sense. When I posted about cravings, Dianne posted this: it was ((( My Final turning point ))) Norma and TVC, this is especially for you two. BTW thanks TVC for your kind comments.

quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:

I posted the book that helped me quit and in it the author says the reason we continue to have cravings is *** because we haven't really made up our minds to quit.*** When the monster was begging to be fed every 15 minutes, I would tell myself that smoking wasn't an option anymore and I'd go on to something else, like work that had been waiting while I was smoking.

I seriously encourage you to get that book and read it.

#19009 - 12/05/05 08:52 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
TVC15 Offline

Dianne,
I just saw your post about pretending to light up. I'm going to try this in the morning. that is when i have the worst time of it. Always smoke with my morning coffee and once I've started, that's it for the day.
You're welcome Chick! And it's true!!!!

#19010 - 12/05/05 04:16 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
Bookie Offline

Here are a few things that worked for me....
I bought a bunch of toothbrushes. Put them in my car, my desk, nightstand, purse...everywhere I could think of. When I wanted to light up I brushed my teeth instead. Yah I got a few stares driving down the road brushing my teeth but...oh well:D Sure beat the disapproving glances.

Splurged on a huge bottle of one of my favorite perfumes Ysatis. Instead of people furrowing their brows because I smelled of cigarette smoke they told me how good I smelled. (Positive reinforcement) [Big Grin]

Water - Drink it often! Ice cubes or crushed ice

"Smoke-Away"...You can buy it almost anywhere. It worked for my sister who was a chain smoker for 50 years.

Years ago I had a friend who was a hypnotist. I told him I wanted to try hypnotherapy to quit smoking. He said that first we had to determine why I smoke. I told him. "I know why I smoke! I smoke so I don't eat!" My mother was 5'4 and weighed 400 lbs. My sister was 5'5 and weighed 300 lbs. At the time, I was 5'7 and weighed 130 lbs.

Well I had a couple of sessions with him and soon he announced...You're right! You are afraid of becoming obese. Cigarettes are your food..
Well two sessions later I was a non smoker. Until....multiple deaths in the family including my mother, divorce, job changes you name it. My brother is an alchoholic so I never turned to alcohol to soothe my nerves but went back to smoking until I was diagnosed with skin cancer. And now...50 extra pounds go with me wherever I go! Yes I know that alot of the extra weight is due to age and menopause so... now I'm just a fluffy, good smelling ol' bat [Big Grin]

#19011 - 12/05/05 04:42 AM Re: Quit Smoking? Tell us how you did it.
ladybug Offline

Chickadee, it's quite alright that you forgot who started this topic. As I said, it doesn't really matter because we are all helping each other.

Just look at all the good ideas in here on how people are "taming this beast."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved