The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183210 - 05/28/09 11:53 AM writing at midlife
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here's a link to an article I wrote about writing at midlife:

http://www.examiner.com/x-9177-Christian-Writing-Examiner~y2009m5d25-Seniors-Picking-Up-Pen-or-Keyboard-at-Midlife

Hope you enjoy it.

#183280 - 05/29/09 04:44 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Couldn't get it to do anything Dotsie, is it correct as posted?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#183295 - 05/29/09 12:05 PM Re: writing at midlife [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

http://www.examiner.com/x-9177-Christian-Writing-Examiner~y2009m5d25-Seniors-Picking-Up-Pen-or-Keyboard-at-Midlife

Yes, it's right. I just cut and apsted it.

I tried posting it again to see if the link will appear live.

#183296 - 05/29/09 12:05 PM Re: writing at midlife [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I don't kow why it won't appear clickable. Sorry about that, but if you cut and paste it in your browser, it will work.

#183566 - 06/02/09 06:33 PM Re: writing at midlife [Re: Dotsie]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Yep, gotta copy and paste. Great article, Dotsie. I'm one of those that was told writing wasn't lucrative enough. So after secretarying for a zillion years, I picked it back up. It's like finding out your lost love has been there all along.

#183737 - 06/05/09 09:57 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: AmyDoodle]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Amy, I recently met a woman who wanted to be a photographer but was told as a teen that she couldn't do it as a profession. SHe ahd an uncle whom she adored. He was a phtotgrapher and is the one who told her she couldn't/shouldn't do it.

She went to college, landed a job working for a corporation, never liked it, and after 20-plus years, decided to leave and become a photographer. She told her story with such emotion at a recent conference I attended. She is now a successful woman photographer with her own business.

Reminds me a bit of your story.

#184611 - 06/19/09 04:10 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dotsie, I read your article in the examiner. That's great encouragement for mid-life women!

#185911 - 07/05/09 01:32 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Anne I agree with MOST of your statement, and I am sure if here, Dancer would back me up.

You absolutely, positively can't teach a person without adequate pitch or harmony to sing, one who couldn't carry a tune if their life depended on it. Thats a FACT!!!

Also someone with NO rythm and who can't keep count can NEVER learn to dance. I don't care if their money hired Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire when alive, they wouldn't have been any better off. Some people have what is called two left feet, and thats for real.

All you have to do is watch the try outs for AMERICAN IDOL or DANCING WITH THE STARS, and these people are really trying to learn, so as not to embarrass themselves on national TV.

#186309 - 07/11/09 01:33 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I always told my boys they could be whatever they wanted to be and I would help them if need be... I was told by the woman that was at that time the most important woman in my life and in the town I lived in, my Grandmother. She was a nurse, midwife, a gourmet chef, sewed, knitted, crocheted and could grow anything, then use it in some wonderful way.

She always said to me: If ever anyone tells you no, or that you can't do something; charge in, and prove them wrong. Be the best, better than the best one before you.

I proved it again when starting WRITERS SERVICES, my own business at the age of 66, it having since then become extremely successful...

I listened to her throughout my life and did as she said, and it worked. I was usually the best at what I was doing. I had to be, my grandmother said so, and she was never wrong.

#186311 - 07/11/09 07:48 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I posted a comment.
Congratulations!

#186317 - 07/11/09 10:19 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Originally Posted By: Anne327
All of a sudden I discovered a new way to get him to leave and quit hassling me: start smiling ear-to-ear and sing as loud as I could.

You go girl. I love your spirit. Some people would have crawled in a ball and never sang again.

#187285 - 07/28/09 02:20 PM Re: writing at midlife [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chatty,
I love your reference to your grandmother. Glad she influenced
your life and you listened to hear. I think of my grandma often. She's with The Lord, now; but her spirit lives in my soul! I can sense you have the same type experience, going on.

Edited by jabber (07/29/09 01:16 PM)

#187327 - 07/29/09 01:22 PM Re: writing at midlife [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
IMO what our grandparents' generation possessed, was good ole fashioned common sense. Don't you wonder what happened to
common sense? Somebody must've hijacked it. Do you ever watch
Glen Beck? He's just written a book on common sense. Now that
ought to be a fun read, considering the source!

Edited by jabber (07/29/09 11:08 PM)

#187387 - 07/30/09 01:38 AM Re: writing at midlife [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Glen Becks book COMMON SENSE is a good one even though his theatricks are less than common sense. He is a brilliant man however, go figure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved