The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182283 - 05/15/09 05:34 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I suppose they have to write something on these coins. What would be an alternative?
As far as In God We Trust….I have never combined the thought of God with money.

Maybe there are really more suitable quotes
Here are some suggestions.

Preserve nature
Be thrifty
Spend wisely

#182286 - 05/15/09 05:42 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Ellem you thought of it before I did, it was Christ who said "render unto Caesar..." He had no trouble separating church and state. It seems to be harder and harder to do that in this country. Now when a person runs for office, not only do we need to know what church he goes to, but we need to put his pastor under the microscope too. And they have to say prayerful things in their speeches. Better to do good than to talk about it, that's what I believe, it all seems hypocritical to me.

#182297 - 05/15/09 07:20 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jawjaw]
Ellemm Offline

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
It's not that money equates GOD; it is that every day we seemed to be faced with someone wanting to take GOD and what GOD represents out of society; out of the public, and out of our lives. Prayer out of schools, In God We Trust off of coins...what's next? I prefer it stay on there. Just my opinion.

To each his own...

I can see both sides of the issue, but as someone who was either not in the United States or not in public schools during those times, I have no idea what public schools used to do regarding prayer. Having gone to Catholic schools, I tend to cast a doubtful eye that some morning prayer can be considered to give people religion. If their parents are not reinforcing any teachings -- or providing the teachings themselves -- it seems like a waste of time. Like I said, I don't care for what strikes me as wishy-washy religion. (Obviously others feel differently, as is their right. I think there are far more people who disagree with me than agree, but I grew up as kind of a minority regarding schooling, so I can't be nostalgic for something I never had.)

And times have changed. A long time ago, smokers ruled the land and got to blow their smoke in everyone's faces. We didn't dare speak up lest we seem impolite, but now the tide has turned and it's the smokers who are no longer assumed to have center state. Regarding prayer in the schools, I think we're long past the time when Protestant prayer can be considered the only real thing. I don't want to see the fighting as people try to work out some system that's inclusive; let the students pray on their own. (And no, I don't think religion is like smoking.)

The unfortunate outcome of all this is that I think our students should study about religion. They should be able to take comprehensive courses discussing the importance of the Bible and other holy books, relate it to literate, and learn at least the outline of other's beliefs. But then we'd have to have the parents not freak out at exposure, however academic, to beliefs they might not subscribe to. But I'm all for it: the more educated, the better.

By the way, the Blaine amendments that forbid federal funds for parochial schools were explicitly passed to give Catholic immigrants a thumb in the eye, so I'm not boo-hooing too much. It's not like Christians have always been nice to each other even in matters of schooling. I'm sure the folks back then never dreamed that they'd get bitten in their own behinds when the Supreme Court decided that schools could not be both public and at least nominally Protestant.

The mean part of me wants non-Catholic Christians and other religious folks to suck it up and pay for their own schools if they want religious teaching. The more mature and sensible part of me wants us to stop arguing and fund all our accredited schools properly.

#182301 - 05/15/09 07:57 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Ellemm i think i have spelled your name right this time!
I was precisely one of those kids. I went to Catholic school for 2 years and then had to go to public school. I was forced to say prayers at the public school that were different from what I had learned before and with which I was really uncomfortable. I'd learned that prayer was sacred and had to be just so, and now my 2nd grade teacher was telling me I had to do it another way!
As it was, this new prayer was just one sentence different from what i'd learned in Parochial school but it gave me the perspective of the outsider, I felt trampled, wronged. What would a Jewish kid feel like being forced to say that prayer? Or a Muslim or a Buddhist? I was really glad that prayer was taken out of school in time for my own children. Religion starts at your home and should be in your heart. Secular teachers shouldn't be forcing children wholesale to pray a Protestant Christian prayer. It just doesn't make sense to me. I would never trust public school teachers with the job of teaching my own children about God or religion. That was MY job.
What I love about this country is that we have religious freedom. Freedom to practice my faith or lack of it the way I see fit without anyone else forcing it down my throat.

Edited by Madelaine (05/15/09 07:58 PM)

#182305 - 05/15/09 08:12 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Madelaine]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
The US may have been founded on Christian principles, but there is also a clause in the Constitution forbidding state religion, which means that the government cannot say that Christianity is the only religion allowed. I get tired of being told I'm going to hell because I don't worship a particular way or belong to a particular church or have a particular set of beliefs. My beliefs and my faith are mine; yours are yours. As far as the name of God being on the money, I don't have an opinion one way or another. From listening to some people outside this forum, anything we put on our bills and coins is going to make somebody unhappy or angry. And, it seems to me, that those who protest the loudest are sometimes those who are the least Christ-like. "By their fruits you shall know them." I don't believe in spreading hate in the name of any God, and I don't believe in judging people. What is in someone's heart is between that person and his/her higher power.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#182306 - 05/15/09 08:20 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: yonuh]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: yonuh
And, it seems to me, that those who protest the loudest are sometimes those who are the least Christ-like. "By their fruits you shall know them." I don't believe in spreading hate in the name of any God, and I don't believe in judging people. What is in someone's heart is between that person and his/her higher power.

Amen sister...amen. I couldn't agree more.

#182309 - 05/15/09 10:51 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jawjaw]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
It's not that money equates GOD; it is that every day we seemed to be faced with someone wanting to take GOD and what GOD represents out of society; out of the public, and out of our lives. Prayer out of schools, In God We Trust off of coins...what's next? I prefer it stay on there. Just my opinion.

To each his own...

The pendulum has swung soooooooo far, to the point where the word "God" is now being seen by some as a curse word.

How much more of this God-erasure agenda is enough? I LIKE that the President ends speeches with "God Bless America." I like that ALL religions are free to practice in the USA. I like that "In God We Trust" is still part of what 92% of Americans hold dear. I like that there is a separation between church and state.

I went to Catholic school and prayed my heart out while I learned about academics and values of decency. I went to public school and prayed silently....Nowadays public schools seem to have more security guards, drugs, guns and violence than ever before.

If I was raising youngsters in today's world, I would send them to a school of any spiritual background which allowed for the word "God."

Unlike dictators and radicals, I believe Presidents evoke the name of God publicly because that name in a democracy means peace and love. We may be an imperfect society, but imo we sure need,God, peace and love........

#182417 - 05/17/09 01:34 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Josie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
IMO, nobody is a bigger part of history than GOD! And it's obvious the US does not bow to money. Otherwise our economic
sector would not be in such disarray. LOL....

#182421 - 05/17/09 03:22 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

Well, you can look at it that way, but so many people's desires for more money, making a quick buck, and wanting enough 'stuff' that they lived (and many still do) on credit seem to indicate an inordinate "bowing" to wealth and a disregard for common sense. If that doesn't indicate a preoccupation with money over values I don't know what does: we are what we do, not necessarily what we say. Just because people are in business doesn't mean they are intelligent, have decent values, or concerns even for the longevity of the company. The wealthy ones have taken their millions and left the stockholders, the employees, and the taxpayers to clean up the mess. We move quickly to put some guy who steals $300 from a QuikTrip (and we should), but I'll bet nothing will happen to the nice, well-dressed people who bankrupted their own companies and an entire nation.

#182457 - 05/18/09 12:55 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
And you'd win that bet too Ellemm. Sadly enough they don't do a day of time and go on living high off the hog.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved