The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#177263 - 03/16/09 03:22 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: Dotsie]
Ellemm Offline

I have gotten into a few royal battles with stores and their idiot policies. Only once have I started yelling, and they richly deserved it. A few times I have phoned corporate headquarters and explained calmly why I would not be doing business with them anymore. Usually, though, I just withdraw my patronage quietly. I will speak up when I hear people using racial language and the like, but have to be careful; it's fairly common where I live. In the workplace I don't say much of anything, which is adapted behavior on my part. I learned the hard way that it's best to just stay cordial and not get too friendly or personal with others. This is just where I get my paycheck.

#177277 - 03/16/09 06:46 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: Ellemm]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Body language, Celt. Body language. That's what is missing when I talk in here. Gosh! I can gesticulate for England, you know.

I must tell y'all what happened to me today on my way home from work. As I caught the tube (subway) home, the doors closed on me just as I got in and ended up sandwiched between the sliding doors. So, naturally, the train would'nt move and I could not wriggle my way out of the squeeze. And, bummer! Everyone just stared. Some giggled...others huffed because I was causing the delay. So, I made an announcement: "I'd like to go home as much as you guys do and put my kettle on but, UNLESS SOMEONE GETS OFF THEIR BUM AND HELP PRY ME OFF THESE DOORS WE'RE GOING TO BE HERE FOR SOOOOOOOME TIME!!!" Two men got the message and helped me. So, I thanked them. And, the train chugged along.

I do tend to claim my spot in this world. LOL!

#177281 - 03/16/09 07:51 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Yes, I will speak up.

I probably changed 15 years ago. My jobs have forced me to speak up, otherwise one gets trodden down like doormat or people just...ignore you/your dept. Can't afford that at times. But of course, 'speaking up', means how to say it.

However there are times I hear of inappropriate stuff and ..there is point to choose one's battles. So I will say nothing and ignore/bypass.

#177287 - 03/16/09 08:21 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Lol Lola! Good for you!! You should have swung your purse at them afterwards. Can't believe you had to yell at them before they moved to help you.

#177293 - 03/16/09 08:47 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This thread reminds me of a saying I just love!!!!

Lord please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth!!!

That kind of says it all for me...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#177311 - 03/16/09 09:15 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
It was the second time it happened to me, EW. I just did a Popeye this time: "That's all I can stands and I can stands no more" LOL!

#177314 - 03/16/09 09:27 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: Lola]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i hear the beep beep beep and jump backwards now lola lol. especialie after i did get cought in doors on last train with poppie outside of train me and l inside and the doors jamed shut on my arms 3 times before poppie thought to hold them wider than my arms, L was outside and not hurt but confused lol.

she held them open so then they opened so i could get out, it a hard enough thumb ya get when they shut.

oh and poppie managed into a tube and it shut me and l out, we found our way home she could't get rid of me that easilie lol.

it amases me how much people act as if they don't see people less than two feet away, don't see someone whos close enough ya can smell thir breath. tubes are very strange plases so good for you for shouting up and getting the help and good thing you think so well so quick what to say...

#177316 - 03/16/09 09:34 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
is it getting easier for you to keep quite or be more diplomatic with age, it working that way for me.

or are you the reverse that you learned how to be assertive while getting older?

either way i think more balanse comes with age

#177462 - 03/17/09 11:39 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: celtic_flame]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
If I see an unjustice, I'll speak up and defend the innocent.
But I don't like confrontation or bickerin' or upset. Honest
disagreements are fine, but it seems differences can be discussed in a gentle manner. No fuss. No muss.

Edited by jabber (03/17/09 11:41 PM)

#177520 - 03/18/09 04:21 PM Re: Are you outspoken in the real world? [Re: jabber]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Lola, that's a great story! LOL.
D9

"Question your privilege"

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved