The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#172446 - 01/24/09 03:44 AM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
DJ, I'm just reading this. Omigosh! what a pain (literally frown ) The hills on campus are going to be an obstacle, I can see.

Hope you heal ASAP! In the mean time, give yourself whatever respite is needed.

Poet and essayist

#172466 - 01/24/09 10:00 AM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
How about an update? I'm sure you're doing much better this Saturday morning.

#172483 - 01/24/09 01:08 PM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've been wondering the same thing. DJ...hope your absence means you're watching movies and snacking on popcorn, hun.

#172496 - 01/24/09 01:56 PM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: jawjaw]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea i was wondering how our dear ladie was doing, update DJ? if you can

#172586 - 01/25/09 12:26 AM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: Dotsie]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Dj, I just saw your post and I'm so sorry. I've never broken a bone, so can't commiserate on that level. I can commiserate about HR/Workers Comp and doctors. Fill out every space in the Workers Comp paperwork and they'll keep sending more.

It's not because their conscientious, it's because you can sue them.

I think about shaving my legs every day and only do it once a month in winter. I'll do it tomorrow. And clean underwear is a must. Be well soon. Your students will be happy to carry your books and bags for you (for extra credit).
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#172603 - 01/25/09 04:43 AM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: Saundra]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks all y'all for asking. Here's an update:

For the first few days I still had a lot of residual energy but now it just seems to take forever to do anything. Suddenly my modest house seems enormous. I put things in a backpack to carry up and down the stairs -- I go up and down on my butt and drag my crutches along with me. I'm getting calloused hands from wielding the crutches, and super triceps. I leave glasses of water here and there and have had to restrain my husband from cleaning them up.

I spend much time strategizing how to get from one place to another and bring along a cup of tea, or something. I'm using the unbent wire hanger to scratch my itchy leg under the cast.

The hardest thing is getting from the house to the car. The yard is hilly and has stone paths and stone steps.

Workers Comp would actually pay me a salary for 6 weeks not to go teach, but there's no one else who can, so I am. Anyway, I'm not a complete invalid.

We have watched a few movies, but we watch a lot of those. And today we went out to lunch. Tonight we saw "missing" which is now out on DVD and I've never seen the whole thing. The other day we saw "The Black Book." My husband complains that I prefer stressful movies.

Yesterday and today I read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" for my bookgroup on Wed. Has anyone read that? Rather odd, and I'm not sure it was worth 580 pages or whatever.

Classes start on Monday -- I'm still finding mistakes in the syllabi. And those darn students better help out without expecting any reward other than doing good deeds!

Edited by DJ (01/25/09 04:44 AM)

#172627 - 01/25/09 02:39 PM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: DJ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh girl...you are such a survivor! I knew you would get the most out of the situation and if I'm ever stranded on a desert island, I want you to be there. Gosh, I would be milking this one.

A friend of mine is read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" and she seems to love it. She's going to send it to me next. I wondered if it would be worth the read. I did notice that Stephen King endorsed it...but quite honestly, I DO NOT like SK work. It scares me too much.

Here's hoping your students pitch in and help!

#172632 - 01/25/09 02:50 PM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: jawjaw]
DJ Offline

JJ
The only one I can actually milk during this time is my husband and he's quite willing and sweet. But I'm afraid he makes a hash out of a lot of things and I won't let him even do certain things like change lightbulbs -- he once tried changing the lightbulb in the back hall and pulled the whole fixture out of the ceiling! And I had to ask someone else to fix that! He once helped me move my antique vanity, and is so precipitous, that he broke off one of the mirror stays. He opened the Saran Wrap wrong and ripped off the sharp tear edge so we have to cut each piece with scissors (which is not easy). He's doing the wash and I can see a huge bleach mark on the shoulder of one of my best expensive shirts (though of course he denies having used bleach). Having him help is rather exhausting.

Re: Edgar Sawtelle: I don't like Stephen King either, not just because he's scary, but because he makes up stories as he goes along and introduces extraneous characters and details that get lost. You have to like dogs in order to like Edgar Sawtelle, because they play a major role. I think the author is making a comment about how dogs and people are different but equal life forms.

#172637 - 01/25/09 03:32 PM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: DJ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh bless your heart on the "helper." I'm sure his intentions are generous and good, God luv him. I totally understand.

It's funny but my girlfriend gave the same assessment of the book as you did. Not sure if it's one of those I'll jump on. That statement makes me laugh anyway. I have over 500 books here, so it isn't like I'll run out of stuff to read.

#172757 - 01/26/09 10:23 PM Re: I broke my #@*& leg! [Re: jawjaw]
DJ Offline

Dotsie
I just got a beautiful get well card from you and want to publicly thank you for the sentiment -- but first I have to tell you that your envelope was inside a US Postal Service window envelope. I opened that envelope and the one from you inside had already been opened -- I think you wanted to give me a coupon for a carry out meal but it must've been stolen!
Can you believe this?
What a world we live in! Will the greed never end????

Anyway, thank you Dotsie. Next meal I have I'm telling myself is on you, sweetie.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved