The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#172480 - 01/24/09 01:01 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have. Get ready to move. The whole story is kind of hokie, but the music is out of this world and if you don't come out of the theater dancing, then check your pulse. I watched it twice (rented) just for the music. One downer was listening to Pierce strain to sing. They didn't need to have him sing. He could have just stood there and we would have adored him anyway.

I thought it's a cute chick flick...and I would love to have the soundtrack.

#172482 - 01/24/09 01:05 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Thanks jawjaw! I saw a "Momma Mia" excerpt on Bill O'Reilly's Factor and thought it looked good. That sounds like my kind of movie! I love light, happy stuff.

#172484 - 01/24/09 01:10 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Here's a laugh. Several months ago, I heard that "No Country For
Old Men" was good. After all, it got an Academy Award for best
movie of 2008. I think Tommy Lee Jones is a good actor. So I rented that one and showed it to my brother and SIL on Christmas Eve. I was sooooooo embarrassed. That flick is nothing but killing, killing, and more killing. They just kill people for no apparent reason. So, I'm gun-shy when it comes to professional critics and their reviews.

#172490 - 01/24/09 01:34 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too like Tommy Lee Jones but I do not like a bunch of violence. That's not entertainment to me. I highly recommend Valkyrie if I haven't already said so. While it has some killing in it, it isn't the blood and guts type thing.

Here are a couple of movies I would recommend if you haven't seen them.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. The Cider House Rules
3. Erin Brockovich
4. Dirty Dancing
5. Dirty Dancing
6. Dirty Dancing
no joke.

Also if you've never seen the movie, Dance with Me, with heartthrob Chayanne and Vanessa Williams, then GET IT! It is a wonderful love story, great dancing, and the music will blow you away. Lots of ballroom dancing involved, but all is done with grace and beauty, plus...fun. There is a lot of humor in this as well but not too much to spoil the romance and drama. I have the soundtrack to this one as well as Dirty Dancing (surprise, surprise) and they are two of my favorites.

#172534 - 01/24/09 05:39 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Thanks jj,
I have seen Dirty Dancing, a number of times. And I loved it.
I've seen Erin Brocovich. Numbers 1 & 2 I have not seen. And I
have not seen Dance with Me. But I will get all three of those.
Somewhere I heard Cider House Rules was good. I can't wait to
see Momma Mia.

#172567 - 01/24/09 09:16 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Can't wait for Dancing With The Stars to start again. Love that.

#174091 - 02/09/09 03:04 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: jabber]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I like the storyline in Mamma Mia but didn't care for the music. That's how different we are. Loved 1, 2 & 3 on JJ's list.

I just saw The Women with Meg Ryan, Annette Benning, Bette Midler, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett Smith, and more high-powered actresses. All women cast and crew about women and friendship. It's a remake from the 1930's movie that I loved too. Not one man in the movie.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#174157 - 02/09/09 11:14 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: Saundra]
Mij Offline

One of my favorite feel-good movies is "Enchanted April," with a wonderful cast including Miranda Richardson, Joan Plowright, Alfred Molina, Josie Lawrence, Polly Walker, Michael Kitchen and Jim Broadbent. It was made in 1991 and I have it on VHS. I just checked Amazon and it is FINALLY coming out on DVD on May 5th. It might be at your video store on VHS or at your library too.

"Two proper Englishwomen, determined to get away from their drab lives and inattentive husbands, find paradise among the serene countryside of the Italian Rivera in this enchanting adventure staring Josie Lawrence and Miranda Richardson.
When the pair rents a magnificent villa for a month, they share expenses with two unlikely companions, an austere widow and a bored socialite. At first, personalities clash, but the hideaway holds a special magic that soon sparks friendships and reminds the women of ways to live and love that have long eluded them."

This is truly an "enchanting" movie. It is one of the few I've seen on Amazon that has an average 5-star rating. I think everybody here would enjoy it. smile

Oh, yes, don't forget to check your library for DVDs. Mine has a large selection and they are free.

#174185 - 02/10/09 01:05 PM Re: Enjoyable DVDs... [Re: Mij]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We have not had a DVD palyer in the house that works in ages. The only way we've watched movies lately is with On Demand, but we rarely remember to do so. Now that my daughter is home, she connected her DVD player to our den TV so I'm hoping to rent and watch some of the movies mentioned here.

Did anyone see HE's Just Not That Into You? I read the book and got a kick out of it. I plan on seeing the movie one of these days.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved