The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#16161 - 01/23/04 08:36 AM Re: Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Here's a recipe for Crustless Quiche

I usually put Spinach and Mushrooms in it.. but you can use ham, sausage, asparagus, cauliflower, whatever floats your boat.

Serves 6

2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/4 c mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp chopped onions
1 box chopped spinach, thawed
8 large eggs
1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 c water
1 tsp salt
1 c mozzarella cheese, shredded (or you can use swiss, provolone, etc)

Melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat, saute garlic. Add onions and mushrooms and saute for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until onion is soft. Then add spinach and cook til heated through.

Spoon into sprayed 9 inch deep dish pie plate and set aside

In medium bowl whish remaining ingredients together til light and fluffy. Stir in cheese. Pour over spinach and mushroom mix in pie pan. Bate at 325 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes or until set.

It's DELICIOUS!!!!

#16162 - 01/22/04 10:54 PM Re: Atkins
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki,
Did you or you hubby ever get stuck on a certain weight? I have lost 6 lbs, but for the last three days, nada....

any encouragement?

#16163 - 01/23/04 05:50 PM Re: Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
oh gosh.. you're talking about where I am right now!

I lost 10 pounds and now I'm just sitting there.. you have to just keep on the program and eventually you'll push through. The book has some tips about what to check for in the case of not losing. BIG POINT... DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY, you flucuate too much, try once a week, at the same time of the day.

First of all, give it a couple of weeks or more. If you still aren't losing weight consider these reasons for metabolic resistance:

1. Excessive insulin and insulin resistance, usually accompanied by high triglycerides

2. The use of prescription drugs or hormones which impede weight loss

3. underactive thyroid function which can be present even when blood tests indicate no abnormality

4. Overgrowth of the yeast organism Candida albicans

If you suspect any of these, contact your doctor.

RE: prescription drugs, here's a list that can interfere w/weight loss

1. Estrogens and most synthetic hormone replacement therapies (HRT) including birth control pills

2. anti-depressants

3. insulin and insulin stimulating drugs

4. anti-arthritis medications, including steroids

5. diuretics and beta blockers

If you're on any of these medications you might be able to get your doctor to prescribe a "natural" replacement

For example, I was on HRTs, so I asked my doctor if I could go off PREMARIN and try something natural. He agreed, and now I take ESTROVEN, an OTC natural HRT w/black cohosh

If your problem is NONE OF THE ABOVE, then you might want to try a FAT FAST recommended in the Atkins book ONLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER ISSUES STATED ABOVE AND YOU'VE ALREADY TRIED INDUCTION

This phase requires you to count calories, 1,000 a day - 75 - 90% of it fat
frequent meals, 1 every 4 hours of 200 calories each
choose from the following to create your meals, each item is approximately 200 calories

1 ounce macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
2 ounces cream cheese or brie
1 ounce of tuna or chicken salad w/2 tsps mayo served in 1/4 avocado
2 deviled eggs made w/2 tsps mayo
2 ounces sour cream and 2 tbsp black or red caviar
2 and 1/2 ounces whipped heavy cream topped w/sucralose 0-calorie syrup
2 ounces pate
2 egg yolks (hard boiled) w/1 tbsp mayo

hope that helps!

[ January 23, 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#16164 - 01/23/04 09:25 PM Re: Atkins
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki thanks so much. Yes, I do take horomones but it is either that or hunt down my friends and family and burn them at the stake...

I also take arthritis meds but stopped them when I started this diet. It was for my hip and it seems to have improved anyway. I can start back on these meds at any time...so I will assume it is the horomone pills. This morning it seemed I may have lost another pound...you know how the needle seems to have moved but you are not quite sure? You are right of course, quit weighing everyday...not only does my weight go up and down, but it is discouraging if it hasn't moved...I will continue this journey..thank you girl

#16165 - 01/23/04 10:15 PM Re: Atkins
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Keep at it JJ!!!

I'll be your role model for what "not" to do. I keep starting and stopping and I know it only puts more weight on to do that. Why do I do it??

I think the way the diet works may be something I learned in a nutrition class about how it takes 40 gm. of carbohydrate to utilize calories from protein and fat. Fat has more than twice as many calories per gm. as carbohydrates or protein so if you eat a high fat diet and consume enough carbs to metabolize it, you'll get really fat. But if you combine less than 40 gm of carb with a diet of fat and protein, both of which take more calories to digest and metabolize, you should go into ketosis and lose tons of fat!!

Since Christmas I keep losing 5 or 6 pounds and putting on 6 or 7. I think my problem is social eating. I'm telling ya' no one ever takes me out to eat until I'm on a diet then folks come out of the woodwork. And they're all carrying chocolate cake. Who can resist? It's a curse. I'm working on this.

smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved