The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16141 - 01/08/04 07:56 PM Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My husband and I were on Atkins before the holidays and then we "went off" during the holidays. We started back up on Atkins this past Monday. It seems a whole lot easier this time around hitting Phase I than it did the first time. I've already lost 7 pounds and it's only been 4 days. It took me nearly a month to lose that much when I first started the program last year. Maybe it's the different meds I'm on now, or maybe my system has gotten used to the program, or maybe I don't have a clue why it's easier this time. [Big Grin]

Anyone else doing Atkins? Is it easy, hard? How long have you been on the program?

Do you want to be on the program but have questions? I'd be happy to answer what I can and direct you to links that might answer any others.

I have a great recipe for a crustless quiche, if anyone is interested. YUMMY!!! Just the thing for breakfast!

[ January 08, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#16142 - 01/09/04 08:14 AM Re: Atkins
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Vicki

HELP!!

Send all the Atkins info you have! It's an emergency. I have the book, but no time to read. The holidays turned me into the Jennie Craig before photo.

I've fallen onto the couch and can't get up!!!

HELP!!!

smile

#16143 - 01/09/04 08:51 AM Re: Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Phase I is the Induction Phase.

Before you start, make sure you donate all your "non Atkins approved" foods to a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. If they're in the house, it's a temptation. If there are others in the house that aren't going on the program, set up a separate cupboard for them to keep their sugar loaded foods. One away from your cupboard.

Basically you count net carbs. Those SUGAR carbs that your body stores.

Here are the rules of Phase I

1. eat 3 meals a day or 4 or 5 small meals a day. Don't skip. Don't go more than 6 waking hours w/out eating.

2. combine fat and protein and eat liberaly of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, red meat and pure natural fat such as butter, mayo, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils.

3. limit your carb intake to 20 grams a day. Most of your carbs should come from salad greens and vegetables. REMEMBER: 3 cups of salad a day or 2 cups of salad a day and 1 cup of vegetables.

4. NO fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream, or butter. NO nuts or seeds in Phase I. No chickpeas, kidney beans or other legumes.

5. Do not eat anything that is not included on the acceptable foods list. (I'll include that list below)

6. Adjust quantities to suit your appetite.

7. NEVER assume a food is low in carbs. ALWAYS check the label.

8. You can eat out, but avoid gravies, sauces, dresshings.

9. Avoid aspartame. (Use Splenda)

10. Avoid caffeine.

11. Drink 8 glasses of water a day

Acceptable Foods
All fish - including tuna, salmon, sole, trout, flounder, sardines, herring
All fowl - including chicken, turkey, duck, goose, cornish hen, quail, pheasant
All Shellfish - including oysters, mussels, lobster, clams, squid, crabmeat
All meat - including beef, pork, lamb, bacon, veal, ham, venison
All eggs - including scrambled, fried, poached, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, omelettes (made w/acceptable vegetables)

Cheese - 3 - 4 ounces daily of full fat, soft, and semi soft aged cheeses including cheddar, cow, sheep, and goat cheese, cream cheese, gouda, mozzarella, roquefort & other blue cheeses, swiss

Salad vegetables - 2 -3 cups daily of alfafa sprouts, arugula, bok choy, celery, chicory, chives, cucumber, daikon, endive, escarole, fennel, jicama, lettuse, mache, mushrooms, parsley, peppers, radicchio, radishes, romaine, sorrel

Other Vegetables 1 cup per day of artichoke hearts, asparagus, banboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery root, chard, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, pumpkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini

Salad garnishes - crumbled crisp bacon, grated cheese, minched hard boiled egg, sauteed mushrooms, sour cream

Spices? any without sugar

Herbs - basil, cayenne, cilantro, dill, garlic, ginger, oregano, pepper, rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme

Beverages clear broth, bouillon, club soda, cream, decaf coffee or tea, diet, caffiene free soda, flavored seltzer (read label 0 calories), herb tea, lemon juice, lime juice, mineral water, spring water, water.

#16144 - 01/08/04 09:06 PM Re: Atkins
smilinize Offline

Vicki

Thank you. FABULOUS! I can do this. I'm printing your post out and taking it to the grocery store. I don't have a ton to lose and if I get it quick, maybe it will leave without a huge hassle. My husband is in the same state so we'll try it together.

I sort of knew the basics from nutrition clases, but you're post is so much easier than reading that whole book. And I can take it with me.

Thanks again.

smile

#16145 - 01/08/04 09:18 PM Re: Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I'm glad I could help. Remember, that's Phase I of the Atkins program. There are 4 phases.

You should stay on phase 1 for at least two weeks to a month and then re-access to see if you need to stay on it longer or can move to Phase 2.

#16146 - 01/08/04 10:05 PM Re: Atkins
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
I've been on Atkins since the mid or latter part of October and I've lost 32 pounds. I had some carbs over the holidays but not much and didn't gain any at all. Just drink your water!!!

#16147 - 01/08/04 10:14 PM Re: Atkins
smilinize Offline

I've way given up on being Twiggy or staring on "Sex in the City", but I need to get rid of this holiday Fluff NOW!

Hate my clothes strangling me and always feeling bloated. YUK!

smile.

#16148 - 01/09/04 01:06 AM Re: Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Major congrats, DreamrKate! Much success to you and your weight loss goals!

What a good reminder.. DRINK YOUR WATER!

The more water you drink, the more your body will flush out the extra water it's retaining.

#16149 - 01/09/04 03:26 PM Re: Atkins
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vickie,
Your post is sooo timely! I started a diet on Monday with a group of friends but I really haven't felt motivated enough. I've given it lots of thought all week and decided yesterday to start/try the Atkins diet. I have a lot to loose. I would say how much, but then I would have to kill you. I'll buy the book to read and reference, but could you tell me a typical day's menu for youself, just as an example?

Also, my sisters are all coming to town this weekend to take me out for lunch for my b/day (Jan. 14th if you want to send large, expensive presents...what? what?) and told me to pick out a place. I thought Olive Garden. I love salads and can forgo the breadsticks...so what about soup and salad from there? is that acceptable?

#16150 - 01/09/04 05:37 PM Re: Atkins
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Happy Birthday!!! jawjaw, I'll tell you what I had for meals yesterday, but I eat weird stuff.. so don't hold me to it. :-) Oh, by the way, the book has menus and recipes in it. And there's a great website that you can access, even join and keep track of your weight loss. https://atkins.com/

Breakfast: 1/2 c. cucumber, 2 oz mozzarella cheese

Snack: Carb solutions chocolate crisp bar (kinda like a Nestle's Crunch)

Lunch: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 tbsp mayo, salt, pepper (egg salad w/out the bread)

Dinner: 1 c. green beans, 1 c. rice (Jasmine Rice, with 0 carbs) meatloaf

Here's my recipe for the meatloaf

1 1/2 pd ground beef
2 eggs
salt, pepper, garlic, onions (other seasonings you enjoy w/out sugar)
1/2 c. Pace chunky salsa (only 2 carbs per serving)

mix well and place in loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.

The rice I get from a local health food store. It is called JASMINE RICE and it has 0 carbs. Don't try substituting regular rice. NOT ALLOWED.

As for Olive Garden. .. if you don't eat the dressing.. the salad is okay. but I doubt the soup is going to be.. as it may contain sugar in the base. However, I've never asked them, so you could probably ask and find out.

But, if you truly want to stick to Phase I then I'd have to rule out the soup altogether.

Here's another recipe:

Smothered Chicken Breasts
2 chicken breasts
seasonings
onion
mushrooms
shredded mozzarella cheese

season (garlic, salt, pepper, bbq seasoning) and bake 2 chicken breasts (w/bones & skin) at 350 for 1 hour

while chicken is baking saute fresh garlic in butter, then add 1 med yellow onion, thinly sliced. Saute onions until tender and lightly browned. Add 8 oz of sliced mushrooms. Cook til mushrooms tender.

When chicken done, spoon sauted mushrooms and onions onto chicken, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Put back in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and forms a slight crust.

ENJOY!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved