The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 207 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#162701 - 10/15/08 04:09 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
UPDATE

On September 25 I got an email saying that jurying would be that Sunday the 28th for the available space. Since I was doing Race For The Cure on Sunday, I wrote back saying -- can't make it Sunday. So gallery wrote back saying, bring it in on Saturday.

I brought in 4 sets representing different aspects of my style and price points. Everything labeled with descriptions and price. I also included a sheet with "what I will bring to this gallery" and "what I expect the gallery to do for me" (a lot of Dancing Dolphin's points.)

Tuesday I got an email "Congratulations! You have been accepted to the gallery! Can you have your work installed by Thursday?" (Gallery participates in Laguna Beach's monthly First Thursday Art Walk.)

Spent all day Wednesday doing a floor schematic of my shelves and deciding what-goes-where. Drove down Thursday to install my work.

The price has gone up since I got the info in July. Now $80 rent + $15 cleaning/utilities fee + $5 advertising in Art Walk brochure = $100. Also, terms have changed slightly -- it's still 1 year contract, but now new people are Guest Artists for a month (aka probationary period) and then artist and gallery decide if they become a permanent artist/member. Which is a fair system for both parties.

If I'm invited to join, I will. So far (10 days) I haven't sold anything but I'm looking at this as a long-term investment.

Poet and essayist

#162703 - 10/15/08 04:19 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Good for you Merry...I applaud you. You don't get blown out by the little bumps that can pop up.

You do beautiful work so you should be fine. And not even worry.

And I liked your comment about my birds... I've not actually ever batiked... can you believe it? But someone had asked me about the little quilt pieces I make and I was thinking that I could do that with them... little bird patches... fly away home.

I think I can't pack anything art worthy until the last possible minute.

Kate

"Life was not given just to be happy, but to matter. Let me walk in that today." ~Kate

www.dreamrkate.blogspot.com
http://www.DreamrKate.etsy.com/

#162734 - 10/15/08 03:10 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: DreamrKate]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Way to go Meredith...also, aren't you the savvy biz woman in recognizing that long-term serves you better than fly by night sales...there is no telling where this will lead.

Congrats!

Kate, I totally get what you're saying about packing it at the last minute. If I had to pack right now, my computer would be the last to go....and I would be attached to the keyboard when it went out the door! Amen!

#162815 - 10/16/08 01:35 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: jawjaw]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Quote:
Laguna Beach is considered prime location for artists

I know I am late in this response and the deal has been done. But one thing stood out to me and I feel I have to mention it.

I will try to be as clear as possible. Did the previous occuppant have an artist's personality and style? Sometimes that makes a huge difference. Since this is a prime place for artists, perhaps this person didn't have the demeanor. I don't know, I am just guessing here. Many times you can have the best products in the world at the least expensive rate and not have any of your products move if you have a dull personality.

Just my opinion. I am glad you made the choice Meredith. I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. It takes a while for any new establishment to get started and if this is a new gallery, well...people are still trying to get a feel of the place.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Cheers,
Cathi

#162825 - 10/16/08 04:40 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Wisdom&Life]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Welcome back Cathi! We missed ya.

since most artists are in the gallery only 12 hours per month, personality wouldn't be a big factor. Plus, the working artist has to sell everyone's stuff. I also know this gal and she's very friendly in meeting people.

The two other jewelers (who were in the gallery from the start) have sold some, but not a whole lot.

I should be getting my Yea or Nay from them in 10 days or so.

Poet and essayist

#162836 - 10/16/08 08:51 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Meredith just want to let you know I'm rooting for you. Have you ever tried selling over Ebay? Just wondering.

#162838 - 10/16/08 11:28 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Just know that if I lived closer, I'd be there spending. My collection of Meredith's jewelry is growing and many of my loved ones also have at least one of her items. I've bought her Christmas items and the young gals in the family really like them. Actually, also bought for boomer women friends. Last year I went Christmas shopping with a few women and darn if one of them wasn't nice enough to wear the earrings I'd given her the year before.

What's in store for this holiday season?

#162963 - 10/17/08 06:36 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Edelweiss, I've tried ebay several times and it doesn't seem to be my market. #1, there's a zillion hobby jewelers on that site selling their work for the price of materials. So it's hard to compete. #2, I don't think people shop ebay for my type of item, it's more people looking for bargains. #3, the auction drives me completely crazy. I just want to set a price and sell it, not play bidding games.

What I do want to try is Etsy, since it's strictly handcrafted and thus gets a clientele looking for more original items. However, add that to the 97 other projects I'm in the middle of. My time crunch ...is very crunchy right now.

Dotsie -- ditto. I have a few new ideas but need to order certain supplies to do them. Maybe I'll be better this year about actually POSTING them, here or on my websites. Last year's cache never made it online at all! frown

Poet and essayist

#162969 - 10/17/08 07:48 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
hmmm. that's what I thought. If I come up with any new marketing ideas, I'll let you know. It's tough.

#162976 - 10/17/08 01:06 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Aside from marketing, Ihave a thought for you Meredith. I love sets. Love them, especially necklaces and earrings. WIll you be making any Christmas sets?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved