The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#159924 - 09/15/08 07:58 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
From my DIL I got the impression the tables are turned, and that many Afro Americans are prejudiced against the white race. Is this true? I can understand it in a way, but it sure doesn't solve anything.

I don't think my granddaughter will experience any racism here in Germany. The Germans, Swiss, and some Nordic countries are very open minded.

On the other hand I think there are tremendous race issues in France. They evolved through the French colonies in Africa. Many Africans came over jobless and couldn't speak the language. Automatically gigantic slums were created, where no one dares to go to; not even the French police. I think it is more about poverty and different cultures then skin colour.

#159947 - 09/15/08 11:38 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: Edelweiss2]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In my experience when a white OR black is a racist they are the worstr kind. I have seen far more black against white than the other way around here in Vegas a town where equality abounds for all races. We live and work side by side, same jobs open to all and same pay earned as well. The most racist human being I ever met was Red Fox star of TV's Sanford and Son, he was openly hostile to ALL white people and very outspoken.

What galls me more than anything is when someone of color either loses a job or something else negative occurs in their life right away they play the race card. Couldn't be because they were lazy, or tardy all the time or unwilling to do the job, oh no, its all whities fault... That gets old after awhile and the worst one that does it is Reverend Al Sharpton, who isn't all that sharp if you ask me...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159955 - 09/16/08 12:01 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
It's only my opinion but I believe that those of colour have certain reasons to be angry.

Everytime an incident occurs like the ones Orchid, Chatty, and I have mentioned, there is one more strike against a person of color. Of course they are angry! They would be unhealthy and have low self esteem were they not!

Racial profiling is alive and well in this country and I don't see it stopping soon.

I had a person at the hospital tell me that she was in line with some 'black people," and was not scared of them and thought of them as people because of Barak Obama!

Wow, if that is how she learned to think of "black people as people," we have a LONG way to go.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#159962 - 09/16/08 12:22 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dancer it sounds like she opened her mouth and her ignorance poured forth, gee whiz...

What about people like Maya Angelou, the great poet, Oprah, Morgan Freeman, Ruby Dee, actors and countles other people of color that have contributed to this nation in unbelievable ways, scientists, scholars, heads of big business and trhose whose names escape me at this time...

I am proud to say I see no color, no race, I only see stupidity in whatever color or race it rears its ugly head in. I have good friends in all cultures whom I love and would trust my life to...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159984 - 09/16/08 01:56 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: chatty lady]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
So far no one has mentioned the dynamic of power -- i.e., political, economic and social power -- as one of the biggest sources of any sort of discrimination. Those in power want to keep it that way, and generally associate it with the way they look. This is true everywhere and is why even when "minorities" outnumber the race in power, they're still considered "minorities."

So while it's important for individuals to work on their personal prejudices and bigotry, it's even moreso to work to change the dynamics of a culture. That kind of change is really too threatening for most people in the power class because it means they might have to share.

#159995 - 09/16/08 05:28 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: DJ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: DJ
So far no one has mentioned the dynamic of power -- i.e., political, economic and social power -- as one of the biggest sources of any sort of discrimination. Those in power want to keep it that way, and generally associate it with the way they look. This is true everywhere and is why even when "minorities" outnumber the race in power, they're still considered "minorities."

So while it's important for individuals to work on their personal prejudices and bigotry, it's even moreso to work to change the dynamics of a culture. That kind of change is really too threatening for most people in the power class because it means they might have to share.

To take off from DJ's suggestion: What would you do personally to change the current structures of power in an organization that was top heavy with the same old power brokers from the same ethnic group /gender for past 20,30, 40 years?

Have you considered the perceived status of your citizenship, ethnicity / race..? I know my citizenship as a Canadian of Chinese descent..is probably highly valued outside of North America. The Canadian passport is highly coveted piece of ID, it is a means of access to Western ideas, technology, freedom, peace in government, freedom to vote, etc. It means I automatically acquire a certain status and power because I speak English well, a highly dominant language worldwide for business and travel...simply because I was born in Canada.

However there are a noticeable segment of the population don't know me, don't know I was born here...they just see colour and "strangeness" when they see me on the street.

It's abit naive to say that one doesn't see colour. It's like saying I don't see you as a woman...even though you stand before me...as a woman.

I agree the issues of socio-economic class can excerbate feelings of less power, less authority.. or more power exercised...out of FEAR to protect one's own comfortable position.

Right now, I feel like self-censoring myself..

I appreciate hearing dancer, about your real estate friend's experience. I wonder if there would be difference for certain neighbourhoods or areas of the U.S. My brother-in-law lived in scottsdale, AZ for over 3 yrs. His business required him to work and socialize with locals with money. He sold pianos. Clearly he found it different Scottsdale compared to Seattle (where he also lived for 9 months) and northeastern U.S. : Allentown, PA, New York City, Conneticut. over the past 2 decaades. He just moved back to Pennsylvania in the past 4 months from Scottsdale.

#159997 - 09/16/08 08:23 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

So far no one has mentioned the dynamic of power -- i.e., political, economic and social power -- as one of the biggest sources of any sort of discrimination.
It goes without saying I suggest power was the root cause of my findings.
Power and those who made financial reward
The Slave owners.used the young women to "breed" as I mentiomed in my post.

Power . those planning and prospering by poplulating a new country
the Government I assume
via the church who sent the children to Canada and Australia
Some within the church using power..being an adult who chose to abuse the boys bothe sexually and physically.The young boys built roads with bare hands and feet.A group within Austrailia
have in adulthood group together to write and record and I believe sue those in power at the time.
Also the majority of the population did not know these things were happening.We live in a more open age..That is our power.
Mountain ash

#160003 - 09/16/08 12:00 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
It grieves me so to see and hear about people automatically "dissing" others because of race, creed, belief system or anything else. In my opinion, it is definitely NOT the way to develop a peaceful, joyful world! And, although I can definitely feel the pain of others and look for ways to stop those practices as an individual, I know I can't truly know the depth of how painful this is simply because I'm a true WASP...in upbringing and in coloring.

I know I was stunned when my "daughter" from Germany (I informally adopted her and am now known as her American mama) came to visit last year and one of the questions she had to answer when she showed her passport was "Are you a Nazi?". The hurt she felt was palpable and embarrassed me to no end. She said the person at the Customs booth was horribly rude and seemed to assume she MUST be a Nazi if she was from Germany, even tho' she is only 28 and not even around when the horrors of that era were taking place. ARGHGHGH. Such small mindedness definitely doesn't serve in a global economy where there are so many differences and similarities around.

On the other hand, when she went on a date with a German guy, he badmouthed "superficial" Americans up one wall and down the other. He was stunned when she "defended" Americans based on the gracious way she was treated during her visit here and on how my husband and I have taken her in and supported her life journey.

And, years ago when I was much more into physical fitness, I had a trainer/coach who came from a family of 10 kids who had a white mother and black father. The kids ranged from dark as night (my trainer) to as light as I am (red hair, white skin and lots of freckles). While he pushed me beyond what I thought I could do, he told me some real doozies about the discrimination against the kids in this family, from both white and black communities.

Reminds me of a sermon I heard about us being of different "tribes" and why we traditionally aligned ourselves with one of our own. It seems we still have a ways to go to get to the point where we are a group of people who recognize the similarities and the differences and recognize the gift in each human, regardless of the outside traits or the belief systems we have.

I'm so glad there is a group of people, the members of this forum, who are looking at much more than the traits and focusing on the gifts. What a blessing this group is to so many!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#160083 - 09/17/08 12:57 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: Mama Red]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I read all above me while nodding my head and agreeing, or wanting to expand on certain items.

I think it is important to remember that we, the baby boomers, are changing things. Slowly, as we take power from the "ones," that subscribe to the sort of behavior, we change things.

I went to a multi-culturaly school, for example, for high school. I met my friend Dana there, and had a circle of friends that represented many races. I learned about their cultures and learned not to be afraid of anyone different than I. I startd out as a child in an "all white," neighbourhood an I was "passing," it seems, for a "white girl." My hair was black but my Italian nose had not gotten it's shape yet, (joke.)
When I was a girl, the KKK were prominent in my area. There were open rallies and demonstrations at the very grocery stores we shopped at!

Later, I went undercover for the FBI regarding the KKK to gather information, but that is it's own story in itself.

The point is that we are growing and becoming unafaid of other colours and cultures. Whites listen to rap, for example, in my field.

Still, as a former ballet dancer, there are companies that one cannot join as a black person still!

As we grow, I think we need to teach our children as much as we can about racism, it's history, and what we can do to stop it.

Orchid, in Tucson, although we are a large city now, there are so few Chinese that my friend encounters racism when home buying. I have lived in Seattle as that is where my husband was when he last worked for the government. I know there is a large Asian population in Seattle but here, there is not.
People are slow here and still think of Chinese food when they think of the culture! I was lucky enough to befriend a Chinese girl in school so I know more about the culture.
DJ, I am interested in your answers to Orchid's question!

As far as value, I am first generation Italian here in this country on my father's side, from Venice. My mother is Italian but she was born here. I had a French grandfather, but for the most part, I am Euro.
When I am in Europe, no one guesses I am American. I have to admit that it is an advantage I have. But here, in the US, most small minded people think my family is wealthy because they made their money in the "mob." Truthfully, my family flew here to Santa Barbara where they made the city their home. The brought their money with them.

The worst insult is the Bronx accent people use to emulate and Italian accent! I've seen news casters do it!

I'm not and don't

Not from the "mob."
I don't cook.
I don't hug everyone in fact I am
a bit reserved,
and I am not overweight.
I do not have an accent of any kind,
not even regional from what
I am told.

It's frustrating.

Dancer

P.S. Dotsie, you mentioned that two of your children were Korean, I believe. Did they ever have any problem with sterotypes or prejudice? Do they know their heritage so far as being Korean? You must have a very interesting family.

"Question your privilege"

#160177 - 09/18/08 03:38 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: dancer9

Still, as a former ballet dancer, there are companies that one cannot join as a black person still!

As we grow, I think we need to teach our children as much as we can about racism, it's history, and what we can do to stop it.

Orchid, in Tucson, although we are a large city now, there are so few Chinese that my friend encounters racism when home buying. I have lived in Seattle as that is where my husband was when he last worked for the government. I know there is a large Asian population in Seattle but here, there is not.
People are slow here and still think of Chinese food when they think of the culture! I was lucky enough to befriend a Chinese girl in school so I know more about the culture.
DJ, I am interested in your answers to Orchid's question!

I would be more interested in other people's responses to my question. DJ expressed it very well on changing the power dynamic...or dare we say the power structure.

As for some dance companies covertly not allowing dancers, particularily competent dancers of colour into their troupe...amazing. shocked What would be the fears, main reasons for this dancer, for those particular dance companies? Would change be so disruptive?

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved