The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173242 - 02/01/09 12:49 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: Saundra]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Bio-identical hormones can't be patented, true. But there has been no research that I can find that says whether or not they're safe. The main difference is that bio-identical hormones contain all three types of estrogen made naturally by our bodies; Premarin contains only one type and it's made from the urine of pregnant mares, which is a whole other story.

I took the bio-identicals for a while until the price went up so high that I couldn't afford them any more; my insurance wouldn't pay for them but would pay for Premarin. I felt so much better on them. Now I'm in my 6th year of menopause and still get hot flashes. Granted, they're not as bad as they used to be, but it's very frustrating! I can't do too much soy - at least not enough to make a difference - and the creams don't do anything for me. I did have some relief with some of the herbal remedies. Problem is I'm really bad about taking anything - I will be good for a week or two then forget all about taking medicine or supplements.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#173305 - 02/01/09 07:03 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: yonuh]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I don't believe the pharmaceutical companies' hype at _all_, with regard to women's health. I'm convinced that my mom's breast cancer was a result of her 30 years on HRT. and then they put her on drugs that my sister and I believe led to her blindness.

I personally cured an orange-size ovarian cyst and debilitating fibroids in about 6 months, by changing my diet and using over-the-counter progesterone creme from Arbonne, created according to Dr. John Lee's specifications. It also cured my hot flashes and helps me sleep.

Let me add in here that my gyny's response to my miracle cure was "I didn't tell you to use that. You could have sued me if it didn't go well." Actually, yes, I did ask you what you thought about progesterone creme and you said, "It doesn't work, but try it if you want to."

I fired her, of course. Never went back. Though I should've written her a not to say why.

Start by reading Dr. John Lee's web page (if it's still available) or his books. Progesterone is the hormone from which estrogen derives. Too much estrogen leads to all sorts of female problems. Male ones too.

Bio-identicals = synthetic. Think about it. If it's the same as natural, then why not use natural? It's just another way for pharma companies to exploit women. My sister had a ton of negative information about them to the point where I got sick of reading it -- it should be available out there.

Soy is also a problem. If you look at the way it's manufactured in the US you wouldn't want to ingest it! Maybe you can get organic imported soy, but not likely.

Edited by DJ (02/01/09 07:05 PM)

#173985 - 02/08/09 12:55 AM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: DJ]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
ShipMate, I was born in Vancouver a very long time ago. I had the same experience with no doc wanting to tie my tubes. I have no kids and no guy and my doctors should have done it. I think we know what we want.

I've been on Fosomax for years. It's kept my bone density below the danger level. I've been taking prednisone, too, which does the opposite of Fosomax for bone density. I'm still happy with the Fosomax. My doctor told me the one that Sally Fields advertises is an impossibility. "Nothing stays in your system for one month," he said. The pharm companies must have gotten to him because he prescribed it for a couple of friends.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#174002 - 02/08/09 01:38 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: Saundra]
DJ Offline

Saundra,
From what I hear, you're taking a risk. There are now advertisements in the newspaper for lawyers representing women whose jawbones have deteriorated because of Fosamax. My gyny told me that the drug helps create bone density, but not bone strength -- so the test comes out well, but it's meaningless.

Prednisone leaves you at risk for glaucoma because it increases the pressure in your eyes -- my husband used it for really bad asthma and learned this from an opthamologist in the hospital where he works. He's trying to stay off it completely now.

#174025 - 02/08/09 04:18 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: DJ]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
DJ, I have read that somewhere too. From what I remember reading on the Fosamax pamphlet in the tiny tiny print.....I think it mentioned that taking Fosamax does not prevent breaks or factures, and it STOPS the natural regeneration of our bones.

Our bones do not regenerate as fast when we get older. It's slower, but they do regenerate! Therefore, when we go in for a DEXA scan, our T-scores are compared to 30 year olds...not women of our own age, and that is why so many are diagnosed with osteopenia.

#174034 - 02/08/09 09:14 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: Cookie]
DJ Offline

Yeah, Cookie, I forgot about the use of 30 year olds as the standard (though it may even be younger than that). There are also some who think that bone flexibility is more important than density, but has that been measured? So if you fall and have flexible bones, are they less likely to break? who knows.

#175304 - 02/20/09 11:59 PM Oh Lordy! [Re: DJ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When I was younger I wanted a BMW. Now I don't care about the W...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#175509 - 02/23/09 12:39 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: DJ]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Originally Posted By: DJ

I personally cured an orange-size ovarian cyst and debilitating fibroids in about 6 months, by changing my diet and using over-the-counter progesterone creme from Arbonne, created according to Dr. John Lee's specifications. It also cured my hot flashes and helps me sleep.

can you say how you done this DJ, publicalie or privatlie it all one and i won't sue you lol smile

#175582 - 02/23/09 10:01 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: celtic_flame]
DJ Offline

Just what I said -- the progesterone cream by Arbonne is air-tight which makes it more effective that the others. Progesterone occurs naturally in plants and animals -- pharma companies have to change its composition in order to make something original they can sell, but the artificial (including bio-identical which is a trick word for chemical) stuff isn't safe, according to sources I've read.

Then I changed my diet by eliminating all hormonally treated meat and all chemically treated fruit and veggies.

#178692 - 03/30/09 05:31 PM Re: Bio-Identical Hormones [Re: browser57]
MinniePauz Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'll be 61 next month and was post menopausal at 42 and have never taken anything because it was always so confusing. Plus, I didn't want to start having periods again! LOL

Now, my Mother took Premarin for years and then I convinced her to change doctors so she started on something else (I'm not sure what it was), and is taking it to this day and she's 78. She says the hot flashes get too bad if she stops. frown

My sister who is two years younger than me started bioidenticals a few years ago and says she feels great! I'm not sure if she will decide to go off them some day or not, but if she does and can't tolerate the hotflashes, etc., she'll probably stay on them.

This is the quandry as I see it....if you stay on them for a long time, your risk goes up for cancer. But if you go off them, your quality of life may be reduced dramatically! That's why it's such a personal choice. I'm always wondering if I would be feeling 100% better if I was taking them? Or am I prolonging my life by not taking them? What a mess!! LOL
Hilarious menopause products at
www.cafepress.com/minniepauzshop
Get your copy of my new book
"Laugh Your Way Through Menopause"
www.lulu.com/content/965290

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved