The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#158723 - 09/04/08 04:19 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Oh...and if she can parry with the oil giants and serve Alaska's interest...

#158724 - 09/04/08 05:02 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I must say that I'm also a strong independent and will not vote party lines.

While away the past few days with friends of differing views, I heard some negative comments about her. However, I was blown away by her speech, her delivery, her demand of the audience, and her message. She's really gotten my attention. I got the impression she spoke from the heart.

#158726 - 09/04/08 05:18 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Dotsie]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I was very inpressed with her Speech last night and found it quite moving to me . John McCain gives his speech tonight and want to hear his also. Can't wait .

Thanks who ever posted Palin's speech I forgot to check . Good job .

Renee

#158732 - 09/04/08 06:29 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Sadie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I got the scoop on something NO media is talking abot, The National Inquirer rag of a gossip paper, prinbted a story that Sarah had an affair with her brother-in-law. The McCain campaign said ENOUGH and released their legal attack dogs to go after the paper and are suing their shameless, lying pants off...

If you can all imagine what it must have been like for McCain during all those years in a POW camp tortured daily, and still he is unscathed by it all and a decent, family oriented man, and has the BALLS to go against Alcidea, or whoever else trys to mess with America. He loves his country and was willing to die for it. Can Obama-drama say the same thing? Hell NO!!! Hes a Johnny Come Lately tryi8ng to be the King. Obama is all show, all promises and thinks we're all stupid and gullible. Sarah took him to task, by using his very own words against him. She is a match for the Washington good old boys club and they are terrified of her. Goooooooooooo SARAH!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#158753 - 09/04/08 07:52 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: chatty lady]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I realize that many were moved by this speech. But does it bother anyone that Sarah Palin's speech was written by Bush's scriptwriter, Matthew Scully, before he even met her? And that after McCain made his choice, the McCain election team had to edit the speech to make it more "feminine"? I mean, can this be "speaking from the heart," if it's written by someone else? Or should we be willing to accept that it was a good delivery and she _seemed_ to be sincere?

#158768 - 09/04/08 10:28 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: DJ]
Lola Offline

It does not bother me. For so long as any scriptwriter can truthfully draft an immediate parallel to Palin's intentions, accomplishments, etc. Is there any reason to doubt a contradiction?

#158769 - 09/04/08 10:36 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

If there is any part of her speech I would seek clarity, it would be this:.

"But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state Senate.

#158772 - 09/04/08 10:51 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, you had to go and ruin it for me, didn't you? Just kidding.

Ross and I were wondering who the speech writer was. I hadn't heard what you shared. Where did you learn that? Good grief. That really ticks me off. It was really written before he met her? That's insane.

Well then, her delivery was grand!

#158779 - 09/05/08 12:06 AM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: Dotsie]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
In re: comments above, the following--

from Ben Dimiero
New Media Associate
Media Matters for America
bdimiero@mediamatters.org
www.mediamatters.org
Work: 202.772.8189

In reporting on Gov. Sarah Palin's September 3 speech at the Republican National Convention, numerous print media, including the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, Time magazine, the Dallas Morning News,[/i] Reuters, and an article and a column by Debra Saunders in the San Francisco Chronicle, uncritically reported Palin's claim that Sen. Barack Obama "is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform -- not even in the state senate," without noting that Obama has played key roles in the passage of reform legislation at both the federal and state levels. For example, Sen. John McCain, a co-sponsor of the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act, thanked Obama for his work on the bill.

Obama was a lead co-sponsor of that bill (S.2590), which sought to "require full disclosure of all entities and organizations receiving Federal funds" -- an amount that approximately totals $1 trillion in federal grants, contracts, earmarks and loans. While signing the bill into law on September 26, 2006, Bush recognized Obama as a sponsor of the legislation, saying, "I want to thank the bill sponsors, Tom Coburn from Oklahoma, Tom Carper from Delaware, and Barack Obama from Illinois." Moreover, in a press release upon Senate passage of the bill, the bill's primary sponsor, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), referred to the legislation as the "Coburn-Obama Bill." In media reports, the bill has also been referred to as the "Coburn-Obama" legislation or bill.

At the state level, Obama was a co-sponsor of a 1998 Illinois ethics law outlawing political fundraising on Illinois state property and barring lobbyists from giving gifts to state legislators. Obama biographer David Mendell wrote about Obama's work on the bill in his book Obama From Promise to Power:

Working the bill was an eye-opening experience for the freshman senator. It was a tough assignment for a new lawmaker, since he was essentially sponsoring legislation that would strip away long-held privileges and perks from his colleagues. In one private session, a close colleague angrily denounced the bill, saying it impinged on lawmakers' inherent rights. But Obama worked the issue deliberately and delicately, and the measure passed the senate by an overwhelming 52-4 vote. "This sets the standard for us, and communicates to a public that is increasingly cynical about Springfield and the General Assembly that we in fact are willing to do the right thing," Obama told reporters immediately after the bill's passage. The bill was not a watershed event anywhere but Illinois. It essentially lifted Illinois, a state with a deep history of illicit, pay-to-play politics, into the modern world when it came to ethics restrictions. [Page 124]

Obama was also the sponsor of the "Democratic Republic of Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act of 2005" (S.2125), signed into law by President Bush on December 22, 2006. Obama worked with Republican Sen. Richard Lugar (IN) to produce the "Lugar-Obama proliferation and threat reduction initiative," which President Bush signed into law on January 11, 2007. The initiative, according to Obama's Senate website, "expands U.S. cooperation to destroy conventional weapons. It also expands the State Department's ability to detect and interdict weapons and materials of mass destruction."

Obama also introduced a bill in the Illinois senate requiring police departments to videotape interrogations of murder suspects within interrogation rooms. The bill was signed into law in 2003. A May 9, 2003, Chicago Daily Herald article reported on Obama's involvement in the bill:

[Gov. Rod] Blagojevich's indication Thursday that he supports the plan is a turnaround from his previous position. The governor previously said he opposed videotaping interrogations but supported taping of confessions.

Blagojevich said he'd changed his mind after being satisfied that Obama had ironed out "some of the practical challenges that deal with the issue of videotaping interrogations."

—L.K.A.

#158801 - 09/05/08 01:23 PM Re: Republican National Convention [Re: DJ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm glad Obama had the moxie to face O'Reilly. Bill has good
interviews. I'm not happy with some of Obama's past relationships. Too many of them are radicals. Speeches, books,
interviews are mostly scripted/written by professional writers.
That's the way it is. But Sarah Palin comes across with dignity and confidence; that they can't do for her. I also say, "Goooooooooo Sarah!"

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved