The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156669 - 08/17/08 01:55 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
I see no under eye bags!! You are attractive and have a lovely smile.

I "do" the contact thing out of vanity. But I am also not very fashion-minded, so my eyewear is one of the few things I splurge on. I often have a few pair of eyeglasses and the contacts that I switch. But as the price of lenses goes up due to poor eyesight (glasses/contacts have to correct 3 problems), I'm rethinking the situation.

#156670 - 08/17/08 02:12 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: keyholes]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
[quote=keyholes]I see no under eye bags!!quote]

That's because I'm wearing glasses! smile

Yes, it would be purely vanity for me too, but I'm all for being comfortable and doing the easy thing, so that probably means glasses for me.

#156672 - 08/17/08 04:37 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
Wow, how timely. I went to the eye Doc Friday and along with a DX of dry eyes and a script for Restasis was fitted for glasses. For ages I have been using drugstore 'readers' but now need the whole near/middle/distance help. So I get my glasses next week. Then he suggested that once the dry eye problem is better I get contacts, but reading may be better with the glasses and perhaps driving may be a little better with contacts. I just can't see putting contacts in, taking them out and putting on glasses, putting them back in............
I'm not very vain so that isn't part of the decision. Do you guys think it would be better just to choose one and go with it? Any hints, ideas, experiences appreciated!

#156678 - 08/17/08 06:22 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: greene]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I wore the multi-focal lenses for quite a while until the difference between my near vision and my distance vision became so great that I could only correct one of them. So I wore multi-focals for near and middle distance and had prescription transitions lenses for far distance. Now though, I'm using ortho-k, which are hard lenses to wear at night, and I don't have to use anything during the day, unless I have the lenses in for less than 8 hours - doesn't happen very often.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#156683 - 08/17/08 06:48 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: yonuh]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Yonuh, thank you so much for bringing ortho-k to our attention. I've never heard of it, but it is something to be investigated. I have both an astigmatism and am nearsighted, the two areas orko-k is suppose to help. Kudos to ya, gal, for mentioning this!
Dots, does your husband recommend, or otherwise, use of these lenses?

ORHTO-K

#156715 - 08/17/08 09:56 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
green, until you get the dry eye squared away, you can't do lenses. My husband just told me that about myself. I have a dry eye thing going on too. Here's Ross's advice on that:

Peri-menopausal Women and Dry Eye

• Peri-menopausal women are the number one demographic for dry eye syndrome
• Hormonal influence affects tear quality and quantity.
• Symptoms can include sandy, gritty, burning and ever tearing eyes.
• Therapies include ocular lubricants (drops and ointments) which can be prescription and/or over the counter drugs.
• Anti-inflammatory drops are often used.
• Punctal plugs can be used to stop the tear outflow.
• Symptoms can range from mild to debilitating.
• Visit your local optometrist should any of the symptoms occur.

Any other eye issues? Just ask. For those of you who don't know it, my hubby's an optometrist. His site needs updating, but jsut in case you want to take a look: www.federalhilleyecare.com

#156718 - 08/18/08 01:03 AM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dotsie]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,

I have the dry eye condition and I use a eye wash called "Igiene" C2 in a white bottle . I call the manufacter and get it though them and it works very well for my dry eyes .My eyes in the morning get crusty and burn so much . Of course I take Lutein also twice a day and my vision has inproved a lot , not reading the bottom line of the chart . Love it .

Renee

#156749 - 08/18/08 01:27 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Sadie]
greene Offline

Dotsie, thank you for the information. My eyes were classified as severe. It is a real red flag when people always think you are crying and ask what is wrong! My doc also said I would have to wait on the contacts. I had no idea so many people struggled with this at this age. I have started on Restasis which apparently helps to resolve the problem long term while using over the counter eye drops helps relieve the symptoms short-term.
What is Lutein? Is it supposed to help vision problems? It is new to me.
At the moment I will start to learn to wear glasses all the time rather than spent my life with a pair of 'readers' hanging around my neck. Down the road I will figure out if adding contacts to the mix is worth it. Which ever makes me able to read comfortably for a long period of time will be the winner.
Thanks again.

#156791 - 08/18/08 09:27 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: greene]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
greene, do the corners of your eyes get red and sore from drying them so much?

I'll ask Ross about Lutein.

#156852 - 08/19/08 01:57 PM Re: Bifocal contact lenses? [Re: Dotsie]
greene Offline

Slightly. But my watering only happens at certain times. Like walking into a mall or store. The Doc said that is because they are always irritated and when I go into a place with less that good air quality they are overwhelmed and the tears starts.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved