The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 104 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#148709 - 05/18/08 03:48 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Some of those video games are unbelievably violent. I've seen shocking prime time TV. I'm not easily taken back, anymore. IMO 9/11 traumatized folks to the max. War and major disaster, where thousands of people die, have hardened hearts. Life appears so expendable. Then as the years stack up, life grows more and more precious. But youngsters oftentimes cloak themselves in devil-may-care attitudes. They think they're bulletproof. Kids' hear about preachers, lawmakers and school teachers doing wrong. Heros are nonexistent. Mentors are few. Hormones are raging. And the road ahead looks long and all uphill. Booze is fun. Drugs are fun. Sex is an experiment with unthoughtout consequences. Mom and dad don't know anything and/or want to take away whatever's enticing and fun. Kids barely think beyond the moment. And trouble brews.

#148710 - 05/18/08 10:25 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What separates this time from the 60s? Just looking for food for thought here.

#148711 - 05/18/08 11:16 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Hollywood.

It sets the pace for just about everything!

#148712 - 05/18/08 11:32 PM Re: Violent youth
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

When I commute to work daily, part of commute is on a bus to and from an industrial, suburban area. Many of the guys on our bus are younger than I (at least many appear to be younger). The work commuted has exposed me to a rougher side of youth that I didn't experience as closely before.

I do want to stress that I lived for over 14 years in Toronto in area where there were drugs, some homicides, shootings. So I am not living in a completely 'protected' area.

it is pretty shocking..and after awhile, tiring to hear early in the morning, every day, some of these guys talk "f*ck" every 10th word, even though it's not about an outrageous situation they are describing. Some of them are brazen and disrespectful in attitude about women.

These are men ..conceivably the same age as our sons...and grandsons. Some of the women are tough also.

Youth rebellion, violence is always there. While tv and mass media might have an influence...I also think the difference in 21st century, is that technology has upped our whole way of life and expectations to have nearly instant results and answers.And this convenience has come to some of the younger generation with not enough pre-hard work on their part.

I also wonder how the youth are taught contemplative thought time --without distractions of cellphone, tv, computer internet and ipod music? How does one teach youth to be patient in our ever-faster paced lifestyle? It's important to have contemplative time even for children ...to play peacefully and safely on their own in unstructured way. to think about what they are learning, about what they can do at that moment.

I have often wondered what it is like to be a youth and NOT know your own family roots /history..in a highly mobile society where we no longer live and grow up in same place.

I have heard stories of youth recovering from self-destructive behaviour and attitudes..by first understanding themselves, their family roots, history of good and bad behaviour in family and self-learning why a youth engages in violent/self-destructive behaviour. This path must be taken by every person to become whole, healthy and loving to self and to the broader family/community. And with that trust of self and to others can grow.

And I guess I see some people just getting lost, or starting that path of self-discovery much later in life...

Patience with oneself and one's comrades, is one way ..to reducing violence.

#148713 - 05/19/08 04:49 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Youth using vulgar language was in my time too…but I think the difference was that the young people weren’t so angry and aggressive. We had our anti-war demonstrations and stuff, but they were peaceful and mellow. I think the difference in the music of the 60’s and now expresses the difference the best.

I think we are all blessed to have grown up in the 60s.

#148714 - 05/19/08 07:58 AM Re: Violent youth
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:

In this country, it would be the criminal justice system. There just does not seem to be any fear of the law anymore because even the police suffers from dwindling authority. There is a lot of truth to what Jabber brought up: “Kids barely think beyond the moment” because they have lost that ability to think of the repercussions when imprisonment is no longer a deterrent to criminal conduct. Harsh sentences in the way of boot camp and borstal are not the norm. Prison is a hotel where the only difference to life outside of bars for the incarcerated is that he is not free to roam.

Juvenile crime as it is happening now in the UK, is not unprecedented despite the imagined generational pattern of complaints which links to a preconceived moral erosion to a “permissive society” i.e. break-up of families, drugs, lewd entertainment etc. There is historical basis which would prove this is nothing new here. However, where juvenile crime remains the same, it is the criminal justice system that has changed. Liberal social theorists and the courts would often treat a delinquent juvenile who commits a violent gang-related crime as, not one who committed an illegal act but, “a young person whose moral character is negatively assessed”.

The criminal justice system here has moved towards legislation which makes parents liable for conduct of their children with regards to school attendance. And, as parents can now end up in prison, as a few have, there has been a significant decrease in school truancy. Perhaps, the criminal justice system can explore a similar route with juvenile crime.

#148715 - 05/19/08 08:20 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: Lola]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Lola..your post was very interesting reading..and thought provoking..eventho scarey..as I would have ended up in prison probably. My yougest son, who is now luckily 18 and legally an adult..skipped alot of school during his high school years..he was/is..just SOOOO tired of school. However..that is another topic..but your legal system in the UK has a point there, I think.

However, Dotsie..going on your "food for thought" thing..due to the net, TV, etc etc..kids today are aware of what is going on in the world..consciously or unconsciously..and here I am also referring to Eagleheart´s concept of "ripples" that touch us all..and take a LOOK..a GOOD LOOK at what is happening in this world of ours of which we are the caretakers..the adults. LOOK at what is happening in SUDAN..IRAQ..what about Global Warming and the belief and trust in a future that the young generation has a right to have? And who was it that started this Global Warming thing..excelerated it??? And when do we intend to take our responsibility for this? Youth is black and white in their thinking..there are NO grey areas for them. And so it should be... we, ladies, are members of the Roman Senate (figuratively speaking) where we can discuss and theorize until the cows come home..but where is the ACTION..THE DOING??? That is what the youth is asking today..listen to their music...

And TV games or computer games..they are NOTHING compared to the REALITY of what is actually going on in this world..DAILY..lived by our fellow human beings..and you ask why the youth of today are violent?????

Go into our homes..across the world..is there not violence there..of a very aggressive nature??? A very degrading nature?????

And we think that the "ripples" of all this pain, violence,..all these LIES..does not touch and effect our children??? In a world where information is so easy to access and be exposed to..no matter how many blocks you put into your computers or how many TVs you turn off..there are always electronics running..24 hours a day...and it´s REAL..no video or computer game. It´s the REAL thing..and you don´t think our young of today will not be affected? (There´s a great song from the 60´s that would fit right in here..but I can´t remember it for the life of me.."And you don´t believe we´re on the verge of destruction?" or something like that..help me out here..do you remember it??)

Our kids of today..are the reflection of what is going on in our society..in our world..as they have always been. On a smaller scale..in answer to some of the violence you mentioned here..perhaps the youth of today is sick and tired of our generation´s values of excellence..they are looking for something else..along the lines of Buddhism..a deeper meaning of JOY..and we are not giving them the respect they deserve..because we think we are right..because we have seen it all. The latter here I am quoting from a modern song..

Gotta get off my soapbox here..good nite and signing off from Sweden. Please read this post with LOVE, PEACE and above all, UNDERSTANDING!!!!

#148716 - 05/19/08 11:07 PM Re: Violent youth
jabber Offline

Dotsie,
Just in defense of my previous post, we didn't have the Internet in the 60s. We didn't have video games in the 60s.
We didn't experience 9/11 in the 60s. America didn't know that much about terrorism, in the 60s. Most marriages were between male, female: i.e. mom and pop parents. We didn't know about AIDS. Life seemed and felt simpler then, than now.

#148717 - 05/19/08 11:45 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Dotsie,
Just in defense of my previous post, we didn't have the Internet in the 60s. We didn't have video games in the 60s.
We didn't experience 9/11 in the 60s. America didn't know that much about terrorism, in the 60s. Most marriages were between male, female: i.e. mom and pop parents. We didn't know about AIDS. Life seemed and felt simpler then, than now.

If I may polite submit this opinion about 9/11 possibly creating more violence, in violent youth???? unless the youth lost someone they personally knew in 9-1-1, alot don't...wouldn't become violent just because of that. If anything, UNLESS with personal contact/friendship or concerted public education , it might have already cause more stereotypical attitudes among some youth about some peaceful devout Isalmic folks who are law-biding, U.S. citizens.

Give me break, let's not forget the children who saw/knew their parents/loved ones blown up, shot in Vietnam, Iraq, Ecuador, Nicaragua, also in the 2nd World War, etc. Some of these kids who lost their loved ones to war in other countries became strong advocates for peace and order. My partner is your example: his father on the german side, was shot to death in WWII.

As a result, he understands why people go to war, but has zero patience in foreign war invasions or war to solve/save another country. As a result, he's more peace-oriented without guns in overreaction to solve complex problems.

#148718 - 05/20/08 01:52 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

The news media show children, young children, carrying guns and being trained to fight. Many video games are bang, bang, shoot 'em up, kill 'em dead! You don't think that influences impressionable youngster? I disagree!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved