The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 99 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#139049 - 01/21/08 04:45 AM My summer project
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I disappeared last summer and I wanted to share with ya'll one of the reasons I did. For some weird reason I absolutely LOVE wallpapering...although it's harder at 57 than it was at 37. I had family visiting Thanksgiving and needed to get these rooms finished. I did them back to back so by the time I finished I was really sick of wallpapering. Anyway, I wanted to share with ya'll photos of the finished products. I had to paint the doors, wood trim and painted the furniture in the twin bedroom white. One thing I learned is there's not a square wall in the place...the house is 136 years old and trying to work with wallpaper with verticle designs is a nightmare. Am I glad that job is over. (Hey Georgia...I finally figured out how to add multiple photos...YEAH!)

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

#139050 - 01/21/08 06:47 AM Re: My summer project [Re: Dee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
A beautiful job, Dee. I, too, live in an older home and can not imagine how difficult it must have been to work with this pattern on the walls. We missed you here and now I can see why you were gone for so long.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#139051 - 01/21/08 08:25 AM Re: My summer project [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What a sunny inviting bedroom Dee!
I know what a nightmare that is to wallpaper on uneven walls. I’ve never done it, but Hubby invented some new curse words while wallpapering our walls.

I like wallpaper too. I think it makes a room cozier. They are coming back in big fashion here. Did you have to sand down the furniture before painting? Ew…that’s a fun job, but what a neat job you did.

Oh and hip hip hooray, that you can post pictures!

#139052 - 01/21/08 10:51 AM Re: My summer project [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Dee, beautiful!! Everything is so cozy and inviting. What a place for Molly and me to curl up in! Lovely job. I've always enjoyed wallpapering but right now I have a few painting jobs to accomplish. My Mom would wallpaper constantly...it was an addiction to her. She changed wallpaper often in an 1835 brick house. I remember her mentioning uneven walls but it never seemed to stop her. You should be so proud....how pretty!

#139053 - 01/21/08 12:23 PM Re: My summer project [Re: ladyjane]
Mountain Ash Offline

I love your home.You are also a good photographer using the mirror to show your flowers.
The women in my family also walpapered well.We would gather at my Grandmothers home and do a room.Then of course it showed that other rooms needed doing.
I have embossed paper which have fresh emuslsion to freshed up.Mostly because being an old house I have planned it this way.I have chosen small fleur de lyss paper with light embossing and it does the trick.
But your paper maked me ...wish...We are nest builders.
MA

#139054 - 01/21/08 02:32 PM Re: My summer project [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dee Offline

Anno..thanks hon. I had no idea how off things were until I got to a corner...I was using the level religiously and had to cheat a few times...I'd butt the ends together and spend a lot of time ensuring they stuck tightly together, but sometimes I'd have to overlap an end to keep the lines straight. I'm glad I'm back to BWS, too cuz I missed you all.
Hannelore...I understand your husband...I invented a few new words of my own...or at least wore out the old ones...I'd have everything on the top of the ladder, climb up and BAM...something would hit the floor and I'd have to climb down and get it...or the wallpaper would keep falling down on my head as I was trying to line it up...it was a mess...a big mess. The only place sanded on the walls was where I'd spackled over nail holes...I put a primer on the walls and that helps the paper slide easier...actually, I primed one room and not the other and what a mistake...the one I didn't prime was very difficult to work with. I was trying to save time by not having to prime the entire room but I learned my lesson...it's worth taking the time to do it.
LadyJane..Ya'll come on down to Dee's B&B!!! Thank you...the rooms are very cozy and in the mornings very bright and airy. You say you have some painting projects....what is it you have to do? I'd love to hear about them.
Mountain...I bet it's much more enjoyable with lots of folks helping. A family project sounds nice. I'm a work-alone kind of person...Larry helped when he could...but, 99% of it was just me and the Lord watching out for me. Falling from a ladder at this age would not have been pretty.
What is embossed paper and the fresh emuslsion? Not sure I know what that is? Tell tell...sounds interesting.
Yes, I guess nest building is in our blood...I'm always into something, are you?

#139055 - 01/21/08 03:38 PM Re: My summer project [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

Oh me, too, Dee...I work so much better alone and on my own. If I had Frank around everytime I had an indoor project I'd be tearing my hair out. Nice guy....but projects make him very intense and he'd be telling me how to do everything like I'm 8 years old! Then I'd dump a can of paint over his head...so....I choose to do my projects when all is quiet and I have a blast...well, mostly. My concentration now is bathroom and kitchen. I've done the ceilings and will now hit the walls. My kitchen is small so it's mostly around windows and counters. The bath will be a sagey-sorta green (got that??) I have color swatches sticking all over the place in there so I can see them in every possible light. It's always such a good feeling though, when you can stand back and admire a completed job...isn't it?

#139056 - 01/21/08 03:45 PM Re: My summer project [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I love what you did, Dee. Its warm, soothing, and inviting. Everything in my house says, "Cottage" or some would say, "poverty!" HA! But nonetheless, I love it and LJ, I'm getting ready to paint my laundry room and kitchen a sage green. It is a Martha Stewart paint. I'll see if I can find the color and show you.

#139057 - 01/21/08 03:50 PM Re: My summer project [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

That would be nice, JJ. There's about a million different shades, it seems. And I understand the decoration in poverty....I've always preferred to call it "early attic." Such is for losing everything and starting life all over as if I were 22.

#139058 - 01/21/08 04:43 PM Re: My summer project [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

LJ, here is a photo I clipped off the Internet. This is NOT my house. Wish it were! ha! Anyway, here she used the Martha Stewart paint called Dried Fava 8112. You have to get Lowe's to mix it for you if you're interested in it. Anyway, it gives you an idea about the color, anyway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved