The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#13553 - 03/21/06 12:35 AM Re: Dotsie...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Bluebird,
I think it's a fabulous idea. And if I ever get to Pagosa Springs again, I will come by for coffee. (I once went through there on an unexpected motor cycle trip and bought jeans and a shirt off someone's clothesline to replace the business suit I was wearing--long story)

Back to coffee shop poetry, my church recently published a book of religious poetry and we had a poetry reading at the coffee shop in the church. It was fun. We also had music. Maybe you could have poetry readings as well as music in your coffee shop. (Poets are cheaper to hire than musicians--as in FREE)

I decided to reseasrch poetry and songs for our poetry reading and I found out that before the written language, history was passed along by story tellers who performed before crowds. But it was also passed along in poetry and song. When the stories were retold they were changed and accuracy was lost so story telling was not a very accurate way to pass history along. However, the words of poems and songs were so beautifully woven together with rhythm, rhyme, and melody that people remembered them verbatim. Thus history passed along in songs or poetry, was more accurate that history passed in story form.
We have poets and songwriters to thank for many of the stories of the Bible and much of history before the written language.

Another bit of trivia--Does anyone remember the finger snapping that people used to do at coffee shop poetry readings back in the hippie days? Well, I found some info on that too. It seems that finger snapping started because many of the coffe shops started in basements of apartment buildings and poetry readings went late into the night so they had to snap rahter than clap which would awaken the tenants upstairs.

Well, that's all I know about poetry and coffee shops. I would love to come to your coffee house. It sounds fun.

smile

#13554 - 03/21/06 01:02 AM Re: Dotsie...
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I would ask the musicians to play for free at least at first.I figured they would just like the exposure.
Poetry sounds great! Never thought of it. I also thought it would be nice to have the pastors take turns doing teachings. Maybe we could even show videos, if we had a large TV to use.
I would make it homey and ask people to feel free to bring in framed family photos to hang, or pictures of their churches or whatever. I also got an idea from a lunch place I went to where people had their own personalized coffee mugs.

One more thing...the name. Years ago, when I wanted to do a Catholic bookstore, I felt God giving me this from John 14:2 (one of my favorite verses)...My Father's House

[ March 20, 2006, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#13555 - 03/21/06 01:21 AM Re: Dotsie...
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Jackie, that sounds just perfect for you. We used to have a coffee house attached to our library that was also a book store. Once a month it was open mic night. Sometimes they had a featured poet, other times it was open for all. I read several times there and really enjoyed it. They unfortunately went out of business and no one else picked up the poetry open mic concept.

Sherri

#13556 - 03/21/06 01:25 AM Re: Dotsie...
Bluebird Offline

As much as I love books and wanted a bookstore, I wouldn't sell books there because a woman from our church just opened one and I wouldn't want to take business away from her. In fact, my husband made two bookcases for her to use (he put crosses on top) and she shows them to everyone and says "doesn't this look like a bookcase Jesus would build??". She wants to help get customers for him and she really needed the shelf space. She had him make up a flyer to advertise. She is a sweetie!!

#13557 - 03/21/06 05:32 AM Re: Dotsie...
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Jackie, this Christian coffeehouse idea sounds really great for you...and do-able too! Something you can really enjoy putting together, and then enjoy the fringe benefits too! The possibilities are endless!

I have such fond memories of Christian coffeehouses from my days as a Jesus-freak teenager. That's where my friends and I hung out on Friday and Saturday nights throughout our high-school days. I even used to play my guitar (and there were a lot of us musicians who would never have dreamed of playing for money back then). We had some memorable spiritual gatherings there.

You go girl! If it's meant to be, and when God's at the heart of the dream and the passion, everything will fall into place when and how it's meant to...I love the name...My Father's House. I might even convince my hubby to take a trip to Colorado, just so I can come and visit "My Father's House"...

[ March 20, 2006, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#13558 - 03/21/06 05:43 AM Re: Dotsie...
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
MMMMM,

You know I don't go for the religious 0rganisation stuff, but you also know that I do go for the Harietta stuff!!! You've hit it on the nail, and I applaude your efforts -- you'll make it happen!!! You go girl!!

Search

#13559 - 03/21/06 07:19 PM Re: Dotsie...
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Blue - this sounds like a wonderful idea [Smile]

Keep working towards it, and if it's meant to be, things will flow!

Here's a tip: make sure you are jotting down all these ideas and inspirations you are getting for your coffee shop - if not, you might lose them, also by jotting them down, making lists of what you want to do, you are bringing it one step closer to reality [Smile]

#13560 - 03/22/06 08:43 AM Re: Dotsie...
Bluebird Offline

That's what I was planning on doing today, Evie!
Thanks for the encouragement.

[ March 21, 2006, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#13561 - 03/22/06 12:32 AM Re: Dotsie...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Blue, I'm so psyched.

First, one of my favorite groups I ever joined was non-denominational.

Check them out at www.wellforjourney.org. You might get some ideas from their site. IT is not a coffee house, but it is non-denominational and they do some wonderful classes, retreats, movies, etc.

Also, since you are going the non-denominational route you must read Joseph Girzones books. Please read any, or all of his Joshua series. They will jazz you with your new idea. I promise. He is so into all Christians joining to make a difference.

Let's figure out ways for you to make money?

#13562 - 03/22/06 12:33 AM Re: Dotsie...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We need to get this thread more visible. The title of it is Dotsie. BLue, why don't you move it to a better spot and everyone can add to it. How about Bluebird's dream in the girlfriend forum? Maybe?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved