The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132964 - 11/27/07 03:05 AM Yoga
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I just got back from taking my first yoga class. It was the most basic class, but the stretching felt really good. I am hoping it will help with my fibromyalgia which is in a flare up right now. Any yoga participants out there?

#132965 - 11/27/07 05:05 PM Re: Yoga [Re: hotflashgal]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Absolutely love taking yoga. I find it helps on so many levels, not the least of which is getting me to disengage the little voice that has so much to say. Stretching feels really great I agree. i also have learned to be easier on myself and listen to what my body is saying while holding a pose rather than worrying about how I'm doing that pose. I don't push like I used to which is not to say I don't take more challenging classes just that I've learned to go to but not over, the edge, my edge, and not compare myself.
I don't have FM so I can't say if it helps but I"ve heard that any sort of gentle movement and stretching can help relieve the inflammation by getting the blood flow going.
I hope you do get relief in some way,
mscoach

#132966 - 11/27/07 05:18 PM Re: Yoga [Re: mscoach]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This is something I've always wanted to do but my body said try it and you die....so I've been scared. Okay, bit fat lie, but I feel that to benefit from it, one may need good instructions to get started and I just haven't taken the time to find a class.

What do you Yoga-a-nites think? Is this something that can be learned on one's own? Or do you favor a class?

#132967 - 11/28/07 05:58 PM Re: Yoga [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I love Yoga and do it on my own. JJ, it depends on the DVD you use. I'm told one should go to a class to be sure you're doing the moves correctly but I always feel wonderful when I done.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#132968 - 11/28/07 07:15 PM Re: Yoga [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I took two sessions and absolutely loved it until the very end of the class when they made you be still for FIVE whole minutes. I couldn't stand it. I kept thinking of everything I had to do. Type A. What can I say.

But I loved the rest of the class. I think a lot depends on your instructor. Mine was a delightful woman who bled peace and kindness.

I had to stop due to knee surgery and haven't gone back because I can't kneel. I've had extensive surgery on both knees. I'm hoping this time next year I can begin again.

The instructor I had shared all the positive things the stretches were doing for our internal organs which I found fascinating. Just commenting on it makes me want to get back there.

And hotflash, do you get this magazine? Fibromyalgia Aware? I just learned about it at a neighborhood meeting this mornig and jotted it down so I could share it here. Check out www.fmaware.org. My neighbor friend has fibromyalgia and just raved about the magazine.

#132969 - 12/10/07 04:25 AM Re: Yoga
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
After 2 wks. of not doing it, I did my stretching exercise routine, a few simple yoga, pilates, etc.

Now my back feels relaxed. Small aches gone. It always works for me.

#132970 - 12/10/07 12:56 PM Re: Yoga [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I've always, always wanted to take a yoga class for beginners but just haven't gotten around to it yet. It seems it would be SO useful, especially as we age. I do have an unopened video tape, but it doesn't do any good sitting in its wrapper.

#132971 - 12/10/07 01:23 PM Re: Yoga [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This is something I still want to do. Maybe a goal for 2008? I wish now I had not of taken the front of my VCR/DVD player off in a fit of rage...whattt? Oh it wouldn't open, so I dismantled it. My son put it back together, through laughter, but I haven't tried it to see if it will work again...Anyway, if it does, I may try a tape like you have LJ...

#132972 - 12/10/07 03:09 PM Re: Yoga [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Once again, ladies, I caution you to take a class to learn rather than try and learn from a tape. Yoga has subltle moves and stretches. One way will be soooooo beneficial another could do very little for you, or at the worst, hurt you.

Anyway, I think every community has community education classes and almost all offer yoga. They are cheap and you can be among other beginners.

Once you learn, then do it on your own.

Anyway, just my two bits.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#132973 - 12/10/07 03:19 PM Re: Yoga [Re: Anno]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Anno, good point...thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved